Question regarding the room safe**

KKCruisers

Hi,

Is the room safe large enough to hold a notebook computer?

I want to bring my notebook with us to use on the airplane to watch dvd's, but don't want to take the chance of loosing it. I really don't know how safe it is to leave it in the room unattended and don't want to leave it in the car either.

Thanks for helping me decide.

Kat

Can't speak for the POH specifically BUT, the room safes on the POA and the Star and the Dawn are not big enough for notebook computers. Since the Star and Dawn are "Step sisters" to the POH (similar design), my guess would be that the safes on the POH aren't big either.

My advice would be that once you are in your cabin, empty one of your suitcases into the closet/drawers. Then put your notebook in the suitcase, lock the suitcase and put it under your bed. Many people store their luggage under the beds during the week and they are not disturbed. Most luggage will fit under the beds.

I was on the POH and our safe was not big enough for much. I'm guessing on dimensions here but I would say inside was about 10 or 12" wide, by 8" tall by 15" deep. Keystone is right on again. You should lock it up in your luggage and put under your bed and I think it will be totally safe. If you are concerned that someone gets into your luggage somehow, put a colored cable tie around the zipper or lock to detect tampering. Colored because nobody would likely have a pink or purple cable tie where the white ones are common. This goes with anything you value. They would have to steal the entire piece of luggage. And if you have travel insurance, everything should be covered.

I was on the POH and our safe was not big enough for much. I'm guessing on dimensions here but I would say inside was about 10 or 12" wide, by 8" tall by 15" deep.

Hrm, that still sounds pretty big... My laptop would easily fit into there.

Thanks for the info, I'll bring some lockable stuff just in case. =)

-Randall

Hrm, that still sounds pretty big... My laptop would easily fit into there.

Thanks for the info, I'll bring some lockable stuff just in case. =)

-Randall

I am guessing at the dimensions and I'm probably over on my guess. It wasn't real big. It would fit things like palm pilots/blackberries, cell phones, ipods etc. I even put my video camera in there once. But laptop computers would be out of the question. I held all my jewelry, extra cash, etc in the safe but I considered it small. I think (not positive) that it would fit one of those portable dvd players in there. Maybe cocked at an angle but I think it might fit. Maybe that gives you an idea of the size. Hope that helps.

Thanks Youkon111,

I will probably put it in a locked suitcase under the bed and use a cable to fasten it to the bed somehow, if possible.

Does anyone use TSA locks for their luggage? Where do you buy them?

Kat

Does anyone use TSA locks for their luggage? Where do you buy them?

I use TSA locks all the time. I have bought them at Wal-Mart and at Meijers (a store like Target). My guess is that K-Mart and Target would have them too. (we don't have K-marts around here anymore:( )

Make sure that the locks have the TSA symbol on them.

What's special about TSA locks?

I use TSA locks all the time. I have bought them at Wal-Mart and at Meijers (a store like Target). My guess is that K-Mart and Target would have them too. (we don't have K-marts around here anymore:( )

Make sure that the locks have the TSA symbol on them.

TSA locks are for the same purpose as any luggage lock - to prevent people from getting into your luggage. But there is one major difference. Non-TSA locks will likely be cut by airport authority to inspect your luggage. The TSA locks can be opened by airport inspection crew only so no locks will be destroyed. They have a key for TSA approved locks. I had one on all my pieces of luggage and no locks were cut but there was an inspection tag on almost all of my bags when I returned home from HNL. The HNL airport inspected my bags on return home but all my locks were in-tact.

I agree with previous posters, the safe would not be large enough to fit a laptop- I can visualize our two wallets, passports and my small jewelry bag and not much more would fit besides that, maybe a small camera.

I found info on Carnival website (not NCL) that shows safe size which seems about right for the POH safe except I think it was deeper and not very high. Not sure this helps since it is a different ship but it seems pretty close.

approximate size: 10"(wide) x 9"(high) x 8"(deep).

TSA locks are accepted at all airport luggage screening. It allows you to lock your luggage safely with no danger of the lock being cut off.

I had one on all my pieces of luggage and no locks were cut but there was an inspection tag on almost all of my bags when I returned home from HNL. The HNL airport inspected my bags on return home but all my locks were in-tact.

I have found that those on cruises in Hawaii are more likely to have their luggage searched. On both of our Hawaii cruises, our entire party had EVERY checked bag searched!

• Administrators

Funny how baggage search works. None of our four checked bags was checked on our round trip HNL/ATL (I base this on the absence of any notation on or in the bag). In the past (for instance. New Orleans > Atlanta about a year ago), I got a note in my suitcase that my bag had been checked out per TSA -- and a handwritten notation at the bottom that I forgot my toothpaste! -- which was true! :)).

We go with TSA locks now. The TSA folks aren't necessarily any more honest/upright than typical airport baggage handlers -- but at least with the locks on our bags we don't present a "target of opportunity" for folks who don't work for TSA, but handle the bags. That said, if the item is valuable, or replaceable only at great expense of time or money, it boards the plane on my body in one bag or another, period.

I bought mine online - really reasonable and flourescent so they stand out in the luggage carousels.

http://www.safeskieslocks.com/store/neon-padlocks-c-12.html

$10.95 for a 2 pack of neon colored locks w/free shipping.

Thanks so much for the link. I ordered 4 locks. How long did it take for delivery? We leave here on the 8/24.

Do you know if the NCL can open these locks?

Malhalo,

Kat

Thanks so much for the link. I ordered 4 locks. How long did it take for delivery? We leave here on the 8/24.

Do you know if the NCL can open these locks?

Malhalo,

Kat

It was pretty quick. Within a week if I remember correctly. No problem getting them before you leave. They are pretty tiny but they work. NCL can open the locks - at least mine weren't cut so I'm assuming they could get into them.

Archived