Help!

ssac

We are scheduled to cruise next Monday out of Tampa on the Inspiration. Our daughter plays fastpitch softball and her team has just won the championship for the Southeast Regionals and are now going to the World Series! But....the team has to be there a week from this friday which means she and her friend who is traveling with us will be on the ship at that time. We didn't purchase cruise insurance! :eek: So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to either get a cruise voucher or any ideas to get our money back. This was our daughter's 16th birthday present. We were actually celebrating her birthday on board so we still want to take her on a cruise but it will have to be switched to another date if possible. We are desperate for any advice and asap!

Most insurance wouldn't cover it anyway. So that wouldn't have helped. Can you talk to the softball people and find out if you can get there late??? Do they play on Friday or just have to be there? It might be a better way since they have a vested interest in your daughter and her friend being there and Carnival has your money already. It never hurts to try with Carnival you might get a simpathetic person but if the boat isn't full and they can't sell the cabin (so last minute) they really probably won't do anything. BUT it is worth a try but I'd also try the softball people. Congratulations to your daughter - that is a great accomplishment and Happy 16th B-Day to her too! Hope it all works out. Debbie

When you planned the trip, was there a possibility that the team might win and go to the Championships? Is the friend on the softball team as well?

I would do as others have suggested and fly your daughter out on Friday or after the cruise. If it was my family in this situation, we (mom and dad) would go ahead on the cruise and just lose the money for the two girls. Make it up to them later.

Sounds like you are out of luck! ;) Let us know how it goes!

Best thing is to check w/your booking agent...like NOW! Sorry to say, I don't think they would consider a ball tourney a valid excuse to get your money back, but you can try. Good luck.

Find a family or a group of friends that would like to take your place on the cruise and sell it to them and then do a name change for $50.00 each (I think it is still $50.00) and book one for after her games for the whole family. Afterwards you are only out $50.00 a person and you can still be with your daughter at this one in a lifetime experience for her that I am sure she has worked very hard to get to. If you decide to do this, make your new cruise a birthday/celebration cruise.

Passport issues and flights have been postponed until sometime in September ... look on the State Deptartment website...

John

They have to have applied...

And that only applies to coming BACK into the US... all other countries haven't relaxed their rules, we have relaxed ours ;) :)

OP, I am afraid I have nothing positive to add... I've seen people that had spouses very sick, or die, and not be able to get their money back... but all you can do is call and ask. Good luck.

Find a family or a group of friends that would like to take your place on the cruise and sell it to them and then do a name change for $50.00 each (I think it is still $50.00) and book one for after her games for the whole family. Afterwards you are only out $50.00 a person and you can still be with your daughter at this one in a lifetime experience for her that I am sure she has worked very hard to get to. If you decide to do this, make your new cruise a birthday/celebration cruise.

Great idea, but you will likely need to also drop the price to find someone to fill in quickly this late. Also, check with Carnival about doing this since I am hearing conflicting information about making changes this close to sailing date.

Great idea, but you will likely need to also drop the price to find someone to fill in quickly this late. Also, check with Carnival about doing this since I am hearing conflicting information about making changes this close to sailing date.

IN order to do that, as mentioned above, they would still need to keep one of the original passengers in the cabin, otherwise, it's a completely new boooking, not a change. The OP would have to cancel in order to do this, so they would be out much more than $50pp :(

Most insurance wouldn't cover it anyway

i don't know what insurance you use but i wouldn't buy insurance if the don't cover right up to the sailing....that being said good luck and with this group someone surely will have a good idea to help

i don't know what insurance you use but i wouldn't buy insurance if the don't cover right up to the sailing....that being said good luck and with this group someone surely will have a good idea to help

I think what the poster meant was that a softball tournemant wouldn't qualify as a reason they would reimburse for, unless you purchased the "cancel for any reason insurance", which most people don't purchase.

I would call Carnival and talk to a supervisor of reservations and honestly explain the situation to them, see what they recommend. Or I would sell my tickets to someone who could use them, make sure with Carnival that you can do this. Good luck to you and your daughter's team.

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the responses to our post. We don't think there will be any way to solve this now. We don't know of anyone that wants to buy the tickets at this late date. Our TA told us it would be $50 transferable if we did find someone. The host for the World Series is not allowing our girls to fly in late. They must be there that friday.:( It's really unfortunate that this is happening. My husband is one of the coaches, my daughter one of the main pitchers, and her best friend who is traveling with us is one of the key hitters. In the regionals she hit a home run to win one of the games and a grand slam in another one of the games! All three are a very important part of this! Unfortunately, this is a no win situation. If we go on the cruise the level of excitement and fun will be dampened. If we go to the World Series we lose a lot of money (which we most certainly can't afford on a police officer's salary!) and if just the three of them go then we still won't enjoy either cruise or the big games! :( Anyway, thanks for listening to our woes!!

I think what the poster meant was that a softball tournemant wouldn't qualify as a reason they would reimburse for, unless you purchased the "cancel for any reason insurance", which most people don't purchase.

OH I'M SORRY...but we are from the southeast and their is nothing more serious or dire than sports

OH I'M SORRY...but we are from the southeast and their is nothing more serious or dire than sports

LOL, yeah... I'm from the Southeast as well, and there is nothing more serious or dire than CRUISING :p LOL!!!

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the responses to our post. We don't think there will be any way to solve this now. We don't know of anyone that wants to buy the tickets at this late date. Our TA told us it would be $50 transferable if we did find someone. The host for the World Series is not allowing our girls to fly in late. They must be there that friday.:( It's really unfortunate that this is happening. My husband is one of the coaches, my daughter one of the main pitchers, and her best friend who is traveling with us is one of the key hitters. In the regionals she hit a home run to win one of the games and a grand slam in another one of the games! All three are a very important part of this! Unfortunately, this is a no win situation. If we go on the cruise the level of excitement and fun will be dampened. If we go to the World Series we lose a lot of money (which we most certainly can't afford on a police officer's salary!) and if just the three of them go then we still won't enjoy either cruise or the big games! :( Anyway, thanks for listening to our woes!!

So what are your options? Do you not get to cruise AND lose the money? I'm sorry, but I'm glad for your daughter's team! Bummer that these two things are happening at the same time!!:(

Here is another vote for trying. Maybe you will catch the right person on the right day. Stranger things have happened. I hope that you do not lose your money but it is an important event, not only to your daughter but also to the girls on her team who have worked so hard to make it to the world series.

My fingers are crossed for you.

Karysa

FYI, the OP is booked with a TA (who she has talked to about this), Carnival will NOT talk to her because she is booked with a TA, they will refer her back to her TA (that's the TA's job, and that is what Carnival pays the TA to do) It sounds like her TA has given her the options... this is one of the drawbacks of booking with a TA and not Carnival, you don't get direct access to Carnival :(

Archived