What do teens wear for dinner on Victory ????

lovacruz

Leaving on Victory Aug 6th,

My 16 year old is giving me a hard time. He wants to wear jeans and and

T-Shirt for dinner(T-Shirts are very expensive). Is this appropriate for dinner. Formal he has a suit. What can you really wear?

T-shirt and jeans are not what your teen should wear and he would stand out. A nice pair of dockers and polo shirts are nice for non formal evenings.

If you do a search of Jeans in the dinning room you will find much debate:D

T shirts are not allowed in the dining room and none of us know when or if this will be enforced. A button down shirt with a straight hem to leave out of the pants, should suit him well and will look more polished than a Tshirt.

T-Shirt for dinner(T-Shirts are very expensive). Is this appropriate for dinner. Formal he has a suit. What can you really wear?

This isn't Applebees or TGI Fridays. Tell him that he shouldn't be wearing what he would wear to those type of places.

He will stand out and will probably be embarrassed.

11 Carnival cruises, more on RCCL and your child will be within the dress code for the dining room. They would also be the norm for teens. I have a 17 year old and she wears the same you described for non-formal nights on some evenings.

This is a hot topic for debate, as some post about the fine dining aspect, respect, etc. But to answer your question with simple facts and what you will see is exactly what I have posted above.

My 14 y/o son isn't really into wearing polo shirts or rugby shirts. Too preppy.

But I told him he had to wear something with a collar, and there was no debate on the subject. He actually had fun picking out some funky Hawaiian style shirts, and matched them up with cargo pants (baggy with lots of pockets), and some sporty Rockports (no sneakers).

It satisfied his desire to look cool. And the fact that he made his own choices mattered alot.

I'd also like to add that just because a t-shirt is expensive (ex. Abercrombie) doesn't make it appropriate for dinner.

Kinda like the $4,000 jean argument huh? :rolleyes:

Option 1) Wear slacks and collar shirt

Option 2) Stay home.

We too are just off the Victory, and most of the teens we saw had on nice jeans or dockers..about even. Several had long shorts, although the capers said no shorts..some men did too. A couple had on nice t's, although again, the capers said no t's (no mention of no jeans on regular nights so I assume they are now allowed). Most had on a simple collared shirt.

Tshirts are NOT allowed in the dining room at dinner... jeans, no problem but they should be neat jeans (I personally don't think they should be worn to the dining room, but they are allowed :rolleyes: ) You just have to let him know what is appropriate.

And while you might see jeans in the dining room, it's definitely NOT the norm... you will see PLENTY of young adults that are appropriately dressed...

This is from Carnival...

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

After diner he casn always go back to the cabin and change.

Most of the kids onboard will do that anyways.

Dinner is only two hours..

what would he wear to a wedding?

(I went to a funeral last week and was floored at the number of kids dressed like they were heading off to a playground--guess my age showed.)

to answer your question: NOT ENOUGH LOL!

Dinner is only two hours..

what would he wear to a wedding?

To be fair, the OP specifically mentioned it was for the non-formal nights, and that the son would be wearing a suit for formal night. Dressing like you would for a wedding is a little bit much in my opinion. Especially for a Teen.

To be fair, the OP specifically mentioned it was for the non-formal nights, and that the son would be wearing a suit for formal night. Dressing like you would for a wedding is a little bit much in my opinion. Especially for a Teen.

I was asking what he would wear to a wedding.

Like I stated I was taken back what i saw at a funeral and was wondering what kids today would wear to a wedding.

My 14 y/o son isn't really into wearing polo shirts or rugby shirts. Too preppy.

But I told him he had to wear something with a collar, and there was no debate on the subject. He actually had fun picking out some funky Hawaiian style shirts, and matched them up with cargo pants (baggy with lots of pockets), and some sporty Rockports (no sneakers).

It satisfied his desire to look cool. And the fact that he made his own choices mattered alot.

This is what my son wears, either hawaiian or a collard similar shirt with a dragon with an under t-shirt that color coordinates with dockers and leather moccasins, suit for the formal.

Jeans are hit and miss with the teens, as an adult, I've seen the maiter'd turn some folks around before they were seated and yep, even after, but the teens seem to have more leeway.

I'm mixed about this as dockers is pushing it with these guys sometimes, let alone a suit... a t-shirt really pushes it a bit far for the dress code, price doesn't matter.

For us, from 2003 when we started bringing the kids after our first adult cruise and we set the standard of dress, from the get go, that in order to experience it they had to conform period, it was expected, no discussion. We shopped for clothes, had fun and no one complained when it was time to dress for dinner. AFTER dinner, they went right back to jeans and t's, worked for everyone... and they actually did quite a few pictures with us and picked some out to buy.

So for us, it has never been an issue, they give up the teen dress code for one whole hour out of their cruise, it seemed like a fair request and they REALLY enjoyed being spoiled rotten at dinner each night... many cruises latter, they still love it and don't think twice about dressing for dinner, it's just what you do.

hope this helps....

FWIW, when we're on the Sensation next week my 17yo son will be wearing dark Docker-type pants and a polo shirt to non-formal night dinners. I'm sure he'll change into it for dinner than back to shorts for the evening's activities, but that's OK.

I'm with Liv2Jump. Who's the parent? If not now, when do you teach manners and social graces? Just a thought.

I agree; as much as the children may not like it there are times when certain standards of behavior, dress, etc are appropriate and we as parents need to be teaching that.

Jeans are hit and miss with the teens, as an adult, I've seen the maiter'd turn some folks around before they were seated and yep, even after, but the teens seem to have more leeway.

They have removed the "no jeans" from the capers, so I would not be happy if the maiter d turned away people for wearing jeans on casual night..even if I'm not one of them that would wear them. Not everyone (in fact I am shocked on my cruises just how few folks have heard of this board let alone read here) reads here and decides to not take a chance on disapproval from the CC bunch.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing Abercrombie, Hollister, or other "preppy" clothes from those types of stores. I have seen a lot of kids my age wear that and they didn't stand out. Not my style to wear clothes made by using child labor, but hey! Others don't seem to mind wearing it, or for that matter care about it.

Again, jeans are NOT forbidden from the dining room (I've NEVER seen them listed as not being allowed, but I've only been cruising since 2003) T-SHIRTS are NOT allowed in the dining room at dinner... sure, some people will show their class and manners by trying to get away with it, but that doesn't mean it's okay... and just because someone else does it, doesn't mean you throw your manners out the door and do it too ;)

Archived