From Window Guar. to Balcony cabin on Liberty?

Cinderose

I noticed there are more balcony cabins on the Liberty than window cabins, but plenty of inside cabins. If you book a window guarantee what are your chances of getting upgraded to a balcony if the ship is not sold out? Has this happened to anyone? Just curious.

The "Upgrade God's" at Carnival have been very good to us, we have been upgraded for all but the first cruise:

• 1st cruise booked as a window guarantee and stayed there
  • 2nd cruise booked as a window guarantee and bumped to a balcony (class 6a to 8b), sweet!
  • 3rd cruise booked as a balcony guarantee and bumped to the upper most floor (class 8a to 8e), all the way to the front!
  • 4th cruise booked as an inside guarantee (too many house repairs this year for a balcony) and bumped up 6 floors (class 4a to 4d)

So, as you can see, I have absolutely NO complaints about where they've put us. Truth be known, I would take a bunk in a crew cabin if it means I'm on board!

I noticed there are more balcony cabins on the Liberty than window cabins, but plenty of inside cabins. If you book a window guarantee what are your chances of getting upgraded to a balcony if the ship is not sold out? Has this happened to anyone? Just curious.

It's hard to say. It depends on more than just the ship not being sold out as a whole. Each cabin category has it's own demand curve. Plus over time (as the sailing date gets closer) the cruise line can raise the price of one cabin category, but not others to encourage passengers in the direction of the cabins that aren't selling well.

Basically, the cruise line would rather have the ship full than empty. But they'd rather sell the more pricey cabins as such than fill them all with with upgrades. Those two goals are somewhat contradictory, so they find the right balance that maximizes revenue.

There is no specific percentage... it could happen, but the chances are slim. It seems though non scientific research done here on CC< that the people that pay the MOST for their cabins, generally have a better chance at a decent upgrade. I've NEVER received an upgrade to another cabin category, and I've booked guarantees every cruise but one... and I cruise in the off season... it's just rare. To read these boards you would think it happens ALL THE TIME, but it doesn't. Be happy with what you booked... don't start even THINKING you might get upgraded, or you are liable to have disappointment when you get to the ship (and that's not a fun way to start a vacation :p)

I would guess that if your particular category gets close to selling out, they will raise the price closer to the price of the balconys to get folks to buy them instead. Looks like funny pricing on my cruise, so its clear to me they encourage you to buy one over another with their pricing structure.

Iv even seen OVs priced lower than inside cabins, so obviously they have more OVs to sell on that cruise.

By reading these boards youwould think it happens a lot.

MOST cruisers get upgraded within the category.

So if you want a balcony--better book a balcony and save the disappointments.

We are sailing the Liberty and a few people booked Oceanview cabins based on what you see--- they thought the chance of getting a balcony are better.

No one got a balcony--and they are now located on the main deck.

We're on the Liberty 8/12 and got bumped from an OV guarantee to an 8A balcony. That being said, I think the ship is just about sold out for that sailing as it looks like a lot of large groups are on there. I bet they paid for OV's and we just got the upgrade. Not complaining.....

Archived