Recent P of America reviews anyone?

Latttelady

Much like the other ships in NCLA's fleet, the reviews of previous freestyle, anytime dining cruisers have at least been mostly favorable, the traditional dining cruisers are much less favorable. Many book their first cruise with NCL with the Hawaiian cruises, the itineraries cannot be beat. While some like the American crew, many have not like the service from the Americans. Since the Americans are not looking for tips, or being servants, many have false complaints about the service. Americans will work, they just won't be treated as subservant.

No one complains about the shore excursions or their Hawaiian experience. So if you are willing to enjoy Hawaii, expect an American crew environment, you will enjoy your cruise.

To add to what Don replied, many have also written concerns about slow service in the restaurants.

Slow service can be caused by many things.

(1) Lazy or slow wait staff (2) Short on wait staff (3) Inexperienced wait staff (4) Lazy or slow cooks in galley (5) Short on galley staff (6) Inexperienced galley staff.

It's probably a combination of all of the above, as we have read about high turnover rates for the entire American crew. Problems identified as (1) and (4) is easy to fix, but (2) (3) (5) and (6) aren't. I don't believe many can state NCL hasn't tried to recruit and hire more staff.

I'm not sure there is an answer for high American crew turnover rates. Working aboard a ship constantly at sea isn't the same as working ashore where you can go home every night. The very personalities that make great staff in the hospitiality industry aren't the best for being away from friends and families for long periods.

We went on the POAm in June and had a great time. No complaints on service or food. We enjoyed the hardworking American crew and everyone we met was very friendly and tried hard to please. We did several NCLA excursions and all were excellent. Our balcony cabin had as much or more storage than most. It wasn't the largest cabin we have had but also far from the smallest. The ship is nice and Hawaii is not to be missed. Enjoy - I wish we were going back and hope to in the near future!

Hi,

I was on the Pride of America in April. I have been on over 30 cruises and I rank this as one of the best! The food wasn't the best, the service wasn't the best, nothing in particular was the best. However, the whole package came together to be the best. We enjoyed our meals. We loved having the American staff and American theme on the ship. We enjoyed every minute of our cruise. We did some NCLA arranged excursions and some of our own. All were great. I don't think you can go wrong by booking this ship for Hawaii.

Barbara

We just got back from the Pride of Am. cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it. My mother, husband, and I all noticed how the staff in all areas of the ship were extremely helpful and hard working. Getting into the restaurants was no problem whatsoever. (Food was fantastic and we were spoiled by all the options!) After I finish my cruise laundry and get back on California time, I'm going to post a review but I hope you consider going and enjoying the wonderful American staff. Hat's off to the Pride of America!

I booked the 8/18 cruise. thanks for the reviews they were great. This is my 4th NCL cruise and I love the freestyle dining..so no complaints there. Just wanted to check to see that some of the complaints from last year have changed or if there is an area to look out for. I believe though that your vacations are what you make them right? thanks again!

We get the Detroit Free Press and every Sunday there is an ad in the Help Wanted section for NCL Hawaii staff. It looks like they are trying. I imagine that NCL has ads every Sunday in many major city newspapers.

I just off the PoAm on Sat. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. They always said hello. We did not find the service in the dining rooms to be slow at all and no waiting. We did find the food better in the "pay" dining rooms. My mom tried fish a couple of times in the Skyline dining room and said it was over cooked. The chicken was also a little dry. I loved the tortolini. We also ate Teppanyaki, Little Italy, and Mongolian Hot Pots. All were wonderful. I hope to write a more detailed review latter.

Lisa

We just got back from the Pride of Am. cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it. My mother, husband, and I all noticed how the staff in all areas of the ship were extremely helpful and hard working. Getting into the restaurants was no problem whatsoever. (Food was fantastic and we were spoiled by all the options!) After I finish my cruise laundry and get back on California time, I'm going to post a review but I hope you consider going and enjoying the wonderful American staff. Hat's off to the Pride of America!

It was a pleasure to meet you! I'm glad you had a good time. Jeremy, our boss in the buffet at night who you gave the tip to, went to the store with it and got a ton of snacks so we had a nice little break/party so everyone enjoyed it. Thanks alot! Looking forward to your review. I just put in my extension to be on the ship till Jan 3rd 2008!

Hi James, I'm glad you guys got a little treat. Thanks for writing the note. The Aloha Buffet staffers work their fannies off. . .you guys were always around replenishing the food and drink and cleaning and bussing the tables. We really enjoyed it and are having a hard time getting used to having to cook our own breakfast, lunch and dinner and what's sad is there's no Kona cheesecake for me to treat myself to tonight! :(

To add to what Don replied, many have also written concerns about slow service in the restaurants.

Slow service can be caused by many things.

(1) Lazy or slow wait staff (2) Short on wait staff (3) Inexperienced wait staff (4) Lazy or slow cooks in galley (5) Short on galley staff (6) Inexperienced galley staff.

It's probably a combination of all of the above, as we have read about high turnover rates for the entire American crew. Problems identified as (1) and (4) is easy to fix, but (2) (3) (5) and (6) aren't. I don't believe many can state NCL hasn't tried to recruit and hire more staff.

I'm not sure there is an answer for high American crew turnover rates. Working aboard a ship constantly at sea isn't the same as working ashore where you can go home every night. The very personalities that make great staff in the hospitiality industry aren't the best for being away from friends and families for long periods.

We just got back from our cruise today and I am very much in agreement with your assessment. This was my first cruise with NCL/NCLA (probably the last) and I was extrememly disappointed with the level of service from many areas of the ship. That is not to say that I didn't observe many trying but several of our personal experiences had us shaking our collective heads and wondering where the inherent problems existed.

I was on the July 7th POA sailing,and I wrote a long review..I LOVED it and Hawaii! Dot

I read your review and then another review from July that was just posted. How can they be such opposites? I did 'research' the poster with the negative review and his postings on CC are more limited than your postings. Someone on another thread said to take everything with 'a grain of salt'. I will certainly post a review after my cruise on the PoAm. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what my review will look like.

I read your review and then another review from July that was just posted. How can they be such opposites? I did 'research' the poster with the negative review and his postings on CC are more limited than your postings. Someone on another thread said to take everything with 'a grain of salt'. I will certainly post a review after my cruise on the PoAm. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what my review will look like.

Karen and Bruce, are you the same people who emailed me? Im curious how American Hawaii compared to us when you come onto the ship.

Karen and Bruce, are you the same people who emailed me? Im curious how American Hawaii compared to us when you come onto the ship.

It's Nancy and Bruce, James. We didn't email you, but I know that someone else from our rollcall did. She has shared your tidbits of information with us. BTW - when we told our TA that we wanted to take the PoAm cruise - she compared it to the American Hawaii we took on the (now departed) Constitution. Looking forward to meeting you on 'your' ship! :)

• Administrators

You know that old saying about a glass being "half-full" or "half-empty?" :) Everyone brings their own unique outlook to everything they experience in life. Things that would drive one person to distraction may be exactly what another person is looking for on their trip -- take "slow" dining room service. One person might be outraged that it took 2 hours to complete a meal in a dining room, while another one might think of it as a trip highlight because that was the leisurely meal where they really got to know their companions.

I really think that's why you can read two reviews of the same cruise which are polar opposites -- one person found the cruise hit all their "yay" hot buttons, while the other one found it to hit all their "boo" ones. That's the beauty, and the curse, of the internet. Fifteen(ish-- mumble) years ago, when I began cruising, we didn't have the internet and the wealth of information it offers. You had guide books, brochures, an experienced TA -- you booked what sounded good and hoped you had a good time. When you returned, you could tell your family and neighbors about it, and that was that.

Now, thanks to sites like CC, you can tell thousands of people what you thought -- but (unlike your friends and neighbors) they don't know you from Adam's house cat -- a "worst cruise ever" review might send a reader into a panic about their own trip, when if you knew the person writing it, you'd realize they NEVER have a good time, anywhere, any time. Hence the "grain of salt" advice on reading reviews -- you have to remember that everyone is processing their experience through their own prism of expectations -- and what's great to them might be awful to you, or vice versa.

I have given a LOT of thought to this issue -- about getting the most from reviews -- and did a post several weeks ago which some folks have found helpful. Here's a link to it (it's specific to NCLA reviews, but certainly applies to any review) -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=576898.

I think you were wise to check other posts from the negative reviewer you found -- and I'll look forward to reading your review of your trip! :)

It's Nancy and Bruce, James. We didn't email you, but I know that someone else from our rollcall did. She has shared your tidbits of information with us. BTW - when we told our TA that we wanted to take the PoAm cruise - she compared it to the American Hawaii we took on the (now departed) Constitution. Looking forward to meeting you on 'your' ship! :)

Sorry I don't know why I said Karen..its been a long day so far! (I'm on the tender in Kona back to the ship as we speak)

First on all..James I jealous! You get to be cruisin around Hawaii,and Im stuck here in Houston doing laundry!! :)

Yeah,I love to go to the review section and read ALL of the reviews for the same sailing! I find it interesting to see how ppl on the same cruise agreed or disagreed. I can tell you...I read mostly bad reviews before I went..if I had read wonderful reviews,the trip would have had to be flawless. Im kinda that way. If a new movie comes out and I dont go right away,and it gets glowing reviews,then I usually find that Im a little let down when I finally see it. Same way with a cruise for me. But,I dont think Ive ever had a cruise I didnt like! :)

Now,Im off to read that other review! Dot

Sorry I don't know why I said Karen..its been a long day so far! (I'm on the tender in Kona back to the ship as we speak)

No apologies necessary James. I sometimes call my DH by our cat's name. :eek:

BTW - I am really enjoying reading your blog. I'm trying to remember - do I pull up or down on the beverage lever? :D

See you in about 8 weeks. :)

Archived