Spirit-Hairdryers

noenre

I know people recommend that you bring a converter for you personal hair dryer, but it is a must? Will it work without it? We are leaving this weekend :D and I have not had a chance to buy one, nor do I have a clue what a converter actually is or where to buy it.

Thanks!

Your hair dryer is probably rated at 1500 to 1800 Watts.

The Spirit's 110 volt outlets are rated at 500 Watts.

Which means your hair dryer draws three times more current than what the circuit is rated at.

You will trip circuit breakers.

The 220 volt outlets don't have a 500 Watt limitation.

But plugging in a 110 volt device into a 220 volt outlet is very unsafe.

A converter safely changes 220 volts to 110 volts, so you can use your 110 volt rated hair dryer using the 220 volt power.

The third option assumes you have a dual 110 volt - 220 volt rated hair dryer.

All you will then need is an adapter so you plug your hair dryer into the 220 volt outlet, and switch the hair dryer to 220 volt power.

Here's some links:

Adapter

http://www.elect-spec.com/uadapter.htm

Converter

http://www.voltageconverters.com/step_down_voltage_transformers.html

Dual Voltage Hair Dryer

http://www.traveloasis.com/dualvoltage4.html

A dual voltage hair dryer can be bought for $30. A power adapter can be bought for $15. Total expense ~ $45.

A 1500 Watt Voltage Converter can be bought for $60. A 3000 Watt Voltage convertercan be bought for $95

I believe you'll find it cheaper to buy a dual voltage hair dryer and a power adapter. :)

Thanks so much for the info! I might just end up using the crappy one that is in our room :p I don't mind buying the converter or anything, just don't have the time...

I have found dual volage hair dryers at Walmart and large grocery stores. It don't take long to buy one. And it don't take long iusing the internet to buy an adapter or converter on the web sites. Delivery can be expressed into one day or by regular mail in less than a week.

I was concerned about that as well...I have thick curly hair which I always blow dry straight....In humid weather...it goes curly....so you know what I plan on doing is going curly for this cruise....If I blow dry it straight..it isn't going to stay straight once I get up on deck....so freestyle is going to apply to my hair as well!!!:D

I was concerned about that as well...I have thick curly hair which I always blow dry straight....In humid weather...it goes curly....so you know what I plan on doing is going curly for this cruise....If I blow dry it straight..it isn't going to stay straight once I get up on deck....so freestyle is going to apply to my hair as well!!!:D

Thanks for the laugh! I should do the same thing, just put a little gel in my hair and go curly for the week! That will free up precious time to have fun!

Archived