How safe is Grand Cayman?

Hi all!

It's been a while since I've been to Grand Cayman. My boyfriend and I weren't planning on booking any excursion while in Grand Cayman and I was wondering if the place is safe enough to go around by yourself? What can be done near the port. Is Seven Mile beach very far form the port?

TIA

Probably one of the safest islands, and one of the most expensive as far as water sports and bar drinks. We head over to Eden Roc or Cheeseburger Reef (both within walking distance) for free snorkling with our own equipment. If you want to go to seven mile beach, there's a van que at the dock. It's about 3 miles and the last time we were there (April) it was $5pp ea. way. We ended up at Governor's and stayed there for awhile, before walking back along the beach.

If you have the stamina, you can also stand on the road and wait for the $1.00 bus. The problem with that was the vans for $5 kept pulling over to pick us up. We finally hopped in one.

It's very safe, which is why we only do land vacations there (now). It's safe enough to rent a car and do your own thing. We've probably driven down every road on the island. But crime can happen anywhere...just use that same precautions you would in your daily life.

There's a lot of shopping in the port area. There's also many restaurants within walking distance. You could grab a cab and head to the 7MB area. It's not far, but a little too far to walk to. You might consider taking a cab to Royal Palms. They have showers, chairs, restroom, food, and water toy rental. All you need for a day of fun.

Here's their website...

http://www.reefgrill.com/pages/cruiseinformation.html

And if you just want to wander around the town, it would be perfectly safe to do this.

• 10 months later...

We are going on a cruise with RCCL on June 14th. When we arrive at GC, should we just grab a taxi to the 7 mile beach or pay the 40.00 with RCCL?? We have an 11yr old and 8 yr old that love to swim. Do you think we will still see sting rays? Last question:) Is the food safe?? I remember on our first cruise in 1994, we were told to be careful in Mexico and wasn't sure if that was most of the ports. Thanks for any replys.

The food supply in Cayman is as safe as anything you get at home. Food is mostly imported from the US.

The drinking water in Grand Cayman is mostly desalinated seawater. This process makes the water cleaner than most municipal water supplies in the United States.

Just grab a taxi to somewhere along Seven Mile Beach. Sea Grape and Royal Palms are probably the two best areas for you if you have kids, since there are restrooms and other facilities at both those locations. There's no need to do the cruiseline excursion...it's very easy to get to the beach and very safe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You sound just like me...

My boyfriend and I will be sailing at the end of Aug. and my main concern is that we are safe - seeing as we are a young couple and could be 'targeted'.

I have to say that Grand Caymen is BY FAR the safest port I have been to. I feel very comfortable there, which I wish I could say for some areas of ports like Jamaica and Mexico which can get a little nerve racking depending on where you are....

As a previous poster mentioned - be aware of your surroundings, you can never be too safe - but Grand Caymen is one of my fav. ports due to the safety factor!!:)

When will you be sailing?

Archived