Silly questions from new cruiser!

Hi,

Until visiting this site I had no idea how big the cruise industry was. It's massive!

I'm thinking about going on the RCCL Transatlantic cruise next Nov with my sister, brother and husband. I have only ever been on a P&O Cruise around the South Pacific and that ship seems so tiny compared to the ships that some of these cruise lines offer!

I 've had a look at the RCCL website at the staterooms on offer for the Voyager of the Seas and there doesn't seem to be an option for a family room. Say, a double bed and two singles? Is that possible or will we have to get two rooms?

Also, when would be the best time to book? And who to book through?

Sorry for all the questions... I've probably got more but that'll do for a bit!

You may be able to find a quad room - four beds, two over two (like bunk beds). Or you may have to look at a suite.

A travel agent can help you and some may throw in a gift for you, like a bottle of wine. The best time to book is at least a year out. Prices are lowest. As the cruise gets closer, the prices go up. If the ship isn't sold out, you may see a price drop as the cruise gets closer to final payment or after. If the ship is sold out, though, the price won't go down.

If you book, keep an eye on prices and if you see a price drop, ask for the same price.

If you book through a TA, some things to ask before you book - do they have a cancellation fee besides what the cruise line charges, and if there is a price drop, will they honor it. If they won't honor a price drop - go elsewhere or book directly through RCCL.

Go on to the RCCL website and enter your info like you are booking a cruise. Put in 2 adults and 2 children and thy will show you the rooms that are for 4. There are many options for 4, look at the ships diagrams on the rccl.com site. On the bottom left of the diagram there are little symbols. Some are for pullmans (bunk bed type that pull out of the wall) others are for sofa bed and other rooms have pullman and sofa. Look over the selection of the rooms that fit your needs. You might also want to give RCCL a call directly because the website shows a sampling of rooms and they have the full availability.

We are on your cruise on Voyager. Check out the link to the Roll Call in my sig. :)

You don't have to find a cabin all by yourself ......... call RCI customer service and ask for what you want - they'll find what is available that fits your needs. They will give you a choice (if there is one). A travel agent will do the same thing for you.

Book as soon as you make up your mind that you are going.

Ask all of you questions ......... that's what makes this a great place to learn.

Enjoy :)

You can us a TA but we book online with RCCL. We have found prices are about the same and we get results immediately and can see where the cabin is located etc. You need to start the"Reserve Now" commnad button in the reservation system at rccl.com you put in 4 adults the system with show you the price and cabins available for all the categories. You can cancel and start over at any time. No cost or committment until you get to the very end to confirm and give up the CC number.

The Best time to book is questionable. Early gives you more options and I have seen price increase as the date gets closer, maybe due to market demands. I have done a curise with the wife & my Mom and sleeping was fine. One person may have an upper bunk. Could be some storage issue for 4 adults with clothes but it's about the crusing not the cabin so don't get hung up on the cabin. For showers etc. do it in shifts an dmeet in the lounge before dinner.

Check prices for both the "family" staterooms and 2 connecting cabins. If you get 2, you will have more privacy--that's a plus, and 2 bathrooms! Unless you book a large suite, the cabins are pretty small--not the most comfortable way to spend a vacation!

Hi CruisersfromOz,

I can't help you in regards to a 4 person cabin but can say that we loved cruising RCI (Navigator of the Seas which is a Voyager class ship) on our honeymoon in September 2005, so much that we planning another trip back to the USA to sail on Explorer of the Seas in April 2008. We booked about 14mths in advance and did so online. The very next day we then had a call from Discover the World Marketing who represent RCI in Australia. Their rep then helped us organise payment of deposit and has been more than helpful is answering questions & putting in requests for us to RCI (e.g. a table for two, queries regarding tours etc). You do not have to use their services if you have another preferred Travel Agent but we have been really pleased with their service. Their details come up on the RCI website under the search for a travel agent section.

I hope you enjoy sailing RCI as much as we did!

Carla :)

Perth, Western Australia

Archived