Zuiderdam to Tortola

Montero03

On the Zuiderdam in December and looking forward to going to Tortola, but after reading reviews it seems that most itineraries were switched to San Juan. Has anyone on the Zuiderdam made it to Tortola?

:) I was on the Zuiderdam back in June of 05 and had an absolute blast in Tortola...it was my favorite port save for HMC...if you can, get off the ship early and head over to Cane Garden Bay - absolutely amazing and there were only about 10 families there all day.

On the Zuiderdam in December and looking forward to going to Tortola, but after reading reviews it seems that most itineraries were switched to San Juan. Has anyone on the Zuiderdam made it to Tortola?

I did in 2005...it's scheduled for NOvember 2007, but December has it in San Juan. I did it in November 2004 and June 2005 - it stopped in Tortola both times. We took a ferry from the west docks to Jost Van Dyke...beautiful.

I did in 2005...it's scheduled for NOvember 2007, but December has it in San Juan. I did it in November 2004 and June 2005 - it stopped in Tortola both times. We took a ferry from the west docks to Jost Van Dyke...beautiful.

I'm hoping to make it over to Jost in October. Do you remember anything about how long a taxi ride to the ferry and price?

I'm hoping to make it over to Jost in October. Do you remember anything about how long a taxi ride to the ferry and price?

It's about a half hour taxi ride...we just caught one at the pier and there were plenty at the West End docks as well. Heres a link to the ferry schedules http://bviwelcome.com/ferries.html . Scroll down to New Horizons. It's $20 pp round trip to Jost. It drops you off by white bay, and there is a taxi to the beach there if you don't want to walk. We walked...it's less than a mile, but it's a HARD walk, so we took the taxi back. Gorgeous beach right there - there is the Soggy Dollar Bar and Ivan's Stress Free bar on White Bay - Foxy's and others are at Great Harbour (which we didn't do). On our trip, my wife and I were the only two people on the beach...we crossed the rocks over to the "main" part of the beach, and there were only about 2 dozen people total on the beach. No Jet Ski's or other types of "entertainment"...but one of the most beautiful beach settings you'll ever see.

It's about a half hour taxi ride...we just caught one at the pier and there were plenty at the West End docks as well. Heres a link to the ferry schedules http://bviwelcome.com/ferries.html . Scroll down to New Horizons. It's $20 pp round trip to Jost. It drops you off by white bay, and there is a taxi to the beach there if you don't want to walk. We walked...it's less than a mile, but it's a HARD walk, so we took the taxi back. Gorgeous beach right there - there is the Soggy Dollar Bar and Ivan's Stress Free bar on White Bay - Foxy's and others are at Great Harbour (which we didn't do). On our trip, my wife and I were the only two people on the beach...we crossed the rocks over to the "main" part of the beach, and there were only about 2 dozen people total on the beach. No Jet Ski's or other types of "entertainment"...but one of the most beautiful beach settings you'll ever see.

Thanks for the reply. Now I can plan my time better - don't want to miss the ship :eek: Can't wait for October :D

We were on Zuiderdam and made it to Tortola in summer 2003, I don't know about the December sailings, but yes I went to Tortola and it was very nice....if you get to go make sure to take a tour of the entire island and visit the Virgin Gorda baths.

• 3 months later...

We are booked on the 12/01/07 Zuiderdam and have not heard of a port change....have you verified this with HA?

I just found your post on the Zuiderdam. I checked my itinerary on line and my documents and it says that we are going to the original itinerary: St Thomas, Tortola and Grand Turks, in addition to Half Moon Cay. Perhaps they mentioned San Juan as an alternative for bad weather?

We hit Tortola last week on the Z. We made the trek to Virgin Gorda, finally. I'd say skip it on a cruise, though. Our group was 200 people strong and just as we were leaving the Noordam group showed up. Talk about ill-concieved....:P.

We were just there a few weeks ago. The weather was amazing. If you have a long day, find your way to the "Baths" on Virgin Gorda via taxi and Ferry. If you have a short day, book it through the ship.

You have to be able to climb a little bit, but very easy. It's worth the trip!

Also, if your in St.Thomas and want a great day, go to St.John via sailboat for the day. We took the "Jester" with captain Jim and it was one of the best days I've every spent in the virgin islands. At $115 cash per person, it's a great value and amazing views. Snorkeling was some of the best I've ever experienced.

Have a blast!:D

Hi all

Just got back from the 10/27 sailing of the Zuiderdam. We had EXTRA time (got in at 8:30 instead of noon) at Tortola since our Grand Turk stop got canceled by TS Noel.

This gave me plenty of time to get over to Jost Van Dyke. I was able to catch the 10 a.m. Ferry over and the 5 p.m. one back (the Zuiderdam was scheduled to sail at 10...we actually left closer to 9:30 since everyone was back early enough).

I made it to the Soggy Dollar and Foxy's and killed some time waiting for the ferry at Ali-Baba's. White's Bay was beautiful :)

The Jost Van Dyke trip still works even if you get in at noon - catch the 1 p.m. Ferry over. This is NOT a trip for shopping (some people on the ferry wanted directions to "town and shopping district" :eek: )....except for the small shops at Foxy's & the Soggy Dollar.

Archived