packing questions for the Summit

a flygirl

Hi Everyone, Getting ready for our Alaska 8/27 sailing and have a few questions about packing. I plan on bringing:

2 black formal gowns

3 cocktail dresses

1 black pants/lace shirt

1 pinstripe pant/white collared shirt

1 jean(dressy worn with high heels)

misc. shirts

For the Ports

jeans to wear with flats

velour sweat suit(juicy couture)

3 cashmere sweaters

cotton crew sweaters

khaki pants

raincoat

wool coat

scarfs/pashminas/gloves/hat

3 sets workout clothes(avid runner)

sneakers, black dress heels, 2 pairs flats,

Does this sound about right? My husband will have Tux, suit, 4 dress shirts, 3 dress pants, jeans, sweaters, cotton sweaters, and rain coat. Should we bring a leather jacket too?Also We are going into Fall so I am bringing alot if black dressy clothes, no floral prints etc. or am I being to demure?Anything else????Am I under/over packed?Thanks

We were on Summit in July to Alaska. I would make the following suggestions to you:

There were 2 formal nights and the rest were casual. For the casual you could wear skirt, long pants or capris. Your husband could get by with 2 pair khaki pants with golf shirts. If you plan to go to the Normandie, he will need a jacket, but no tie. You will need dressy pants outfit or maybe long or short skirt. There were very few women with heels on, except on formal nights. Plan on wearing jeans, sweatshirts, jean jacket, water repellant jacket with hood, socks and walking shoes in ports. Jogging or running outfit is good for glacier watching. Also took 1 sweater. You will probably end up buying sweatshirt and fleece jacket on ship. I did not take - or need - wool coat or gloves.

Be careful of overpacking. Delta and Alaska Air charged us for overage at $25 per bag. That can add up quickly. Check the web site of your airline for weight restrictions.

I would leave the wool coat at home and do not bring a leather jacket. You will not need it. I was just in Alaska on Celebrity in the beginning of the month.

Ports are comfortable walking shoes like sneakers and jeans. I was cold on the ship and ended up buying a heavy sweater in one of the ports. As far as jackets, I used a fleece jacket and my waterproof windbreaker/raincoat. I was fine with that. I brought gloves and used them on the Dogsledding Glacier excursion. That was the only time I needed them.

I think you might have packed too many fancy clothes. You will have one Formal Night and one "informal night" which is really Semi-Formal. The rest of the nights are casual. Casual is a nice pair of slacks (no jeans) and a nice top or capri pants and a nice top. You can even get away with a nice pants suit type outfit here.

You will have a fantastic time! Enjoy!!!

Hi Guys, First, thanks for the responses. I am going crazy. The itinerary calls for 2 formal nights, hence the 2 gowns,(plan on eating in the Normandie one night also).and the other 3 informal,2 casual.I don't plan on wearing jeans in the main dining room at all. I am bringing them if we decide to eat really casual one night. I figured the other nights would be black dresses, a black skirt/cute top, or black pants/cute top. I always wear heels when we go out. That is just me.Is it really that dressed down in the main dining room???? I thought the ship was elegant and dressy for dinner?We plan on being really casual and comfortable during the day but getting dressed up for dinner.

Redphoenx: Was it really casual in the main dining room? We are on a 7 night cruise could that be the discrepancy about the # of formal nights?TThanks.

I was on the 8/6-8/13 sailing of the summit. I think your packing list is fine. I never want to be unprepared. Your list is quit simular to mine.

I'll tell you what I actually wore...do to the unpredicable weather I was way over packed. I thought it was going to be alot cooler then I it was...

For dinner:

2 formal dress

2 cocktail dresses

a summery dressey dress

dressy pants and sweater tank

In port:

hiking clothes (we actually did some hiking)

After hiking I either wore cute jeans and shirts or skirts

The day we went to hubbard glacier it was a bit chilly...the only day I wore a long sleeve sweater.

other items I brought

2 swim suits

work out clothes

btw...my bag was not over weight and I was totally overpacked.

Archived