Cell phone internet

Ok I have a question maybe someone here will know or have a educated guess.

We have unlimited internet useage on our cell phones and can use it where ever we have signal. If we are in Ports where I know we have full signal such as Cayman and Cozumel, if I check my email does anyone know if I will be billed? I do not have to dial a number just push the internet button and go for it, so I would not be making a call but, I am almost afraid to call my provider and pose this question.;)

We have unlimited internet useage on our cell phones and can use it where ever we have signal. If we are in Ports where I know we have full signal such as Cayman and Cozumel, if I check my email does anyone know if I will be billed? I do not have to dial a number just push the internet button and go for it, so I would not be making a call but, I am almost afraid to call my provider and pose this question.;)

The issue will be if it counts as roaming and/or an International "call" (yes even though it's not voice, but data). Ask your phone company, or check their web site.

i called sprint and specifically told them that I was going on the cruise to the carribeans, and i'll be in mexico. he told me that i wouldn't be charged for text messag or for "data charges" since i have roaming in my plan. he said i might not have service, but if i were too, i wouldn't be charge. just to be on the safe side, i made sure to get his ID number and name and made him note it in my acct what he told me.

I have a Treo, through Cingular. I also have unlimited data, but when I took a trip to Austria I ended up with lots of unexpected charges (based on checking my email, mostly), because it was considered roaming (which I guess I don't have).

It's DEFINITELY a good idea to check with your provider, and keep asking 'till you get someone who really knows what they're talking about. I had called Cingular, and the person I spoke with confirmed that I could check email with it, but I didn't know to ask about roaming.

I have a Treo, through Cingular. I also have unlimited data, but when I took a trip to Austria I ended up with lots of unexpected charges (based on checking my email, mostly), because it was considered roaming (which I guess I don't have).

It's DEFINITELY a good idea to check with your provider, and keep asking 'till you get someone who really knows what they're talking about. I had called Cingular, and the person I spoke with confirmed that I could check email with it, but I didn't know to ask about roaming.

You can check this right on Congular's website under Interntional roaming. Just enter the countries you will be in, and it gives you the per minute rate for each country. Believe me, it's not free roaming, even if you sign up for the World Traveler plan.

With Verizon you are subject to the ships cell access charges if you use your phone for any reason while on the ship. If you are in port you will be charged international rates for air time which vary at each port.

i called sprint and specifically told them that I was going on the cruise to the carribeans, and i'll be in mexico. he told me that i wouldn't be charged for text messag or for "data charges" since i have roaming in my plan. he said i might not have service, but if i were too, i wouldn't be charge. just to be on the safe side, i made sure to get his ID number and name and made him note it in my acct what he told me.

You might want to call again and speak with another agent. My sister has Sprint, and she received different information. Texting was an additional charge and not included in her regular texting plan. Believe me with the amount that they charge, it is worth a second call.

Going in Carnival Destiny in October... I looked into both Sprint and Verizon. Both said that text messaging and data plans including blackberry will NOT work on the ship's cellular system.

Only voice calling, at $2.49 / min on Verizon and similar cost for Sprint. No access charge or roaming charge, just that higher per minute charge.

I have Cinguar/AT&T. My plan has free long distance and roaming, but only in the US. On my Eastern Caribbean cruise, I can use my cellphone to check messages and email when I'm in San Juan and St. Thomas for free, but anywhere else - on ship or in port - it will be a charge of $2.49 per minute.

Why oh WHY would you want to check your e-mail on a cruise? :eek:

I felt so sorry for the few people I saw onboard working at their laptops.

I know, I know! LOL Because even if you leave your beloved children at home, you still have to check in with them periodically to make sure they are still breathing!

Archived