What is up with Jamaica shore excursions?

AZaTaz

We are on panama canal cruise in October. Our shore excursions are available. When I try to view Montego Bay Jamaica shore excursions I get an error. All the other ports I see the excursions.

My question is has anyone else who has a port stop in Jamaica on a Princess cruise seen the same issue?

We are on panama canal cruise in October. Our shore excursions are available. When I try to view Montego Bay Jamaica shore excursions I get an error. All the other ports I see the excursions.

My question is has anyone else who has a port stop in Jamaica on a Princess cruise seen the same issue?

I don't think you really want to get off the ship in Montego Bay, crime is extremely high:eek:

Did I not read something either on this board or heard it on the news that there were some problems recently with cruise passengers being kidnapped there or something of that nature so maybe the cruise lines have stopped offering shore excursions. Anyone else heard about this?

I think you are referring to the story about a group of pax's from a Carnival cruise ship excursion that was hijacked/robbed during a tour of a mansion on the island. There have been other stories but this is the most recent. The report said there were woman and children terrorized by these hoodlums. We are going to Jamaica/MB on our upcoming Voyager cruise and are considering not even getting off of the ship. I am hoping that the cruiselines will changes ports until the Jamaican gov gets the many problems under control.

Yes I did read the thread about the attack on tourists in MoBay. That is one reason I was looking at an excursion through the ship as most of the time we do port on our own.

I too am wondering if they may be planning a port change.

Thanks for your comments, still wondering if anyone else has shore excursions availabe on thier Princess cruises.

How is the crime rate in Ocho Rios ? I have questioned the Jamaica port from the time I booked our cruise, but also would like see Dunns River Falls and some of the island. Has anyone experienced problems doing these excursions? I do plan to book the excursion with a reputable tour company.

How is the crime rate in Ocho Rios ? I have questioned the Jamaica port from the time I booked our cruise, but also would like see Dunns River Falls and some of the island. Has anyone experienced problems doing these excursions? I do plan to book the excursion with a reputable tour company.

I was there last year on the Crown Princess.. our excursion was cancelled so we walked around the shopping areas/town...and we didnt feel safe... constantly being chased by cabbies..offered drugs....etc. I live in NYC so ive seen it all... my level of feeling uneasy was very high. It was dirty to boot...the beaches and the town. We got back to the ship early..had a nice meal andr relaxed at the pool. If I had to do it again I wouldnt even bother getting off the ship.

Yes I did read the thread about the attack on tourists in MoBay. That is one reason I was looking at an excursion through the ship as most of the time we do port on our own.

Thanks for your comments, still wondering if anyone else has shore excursions availabe on thier Princess cruises.

The Carnival excursion that the robbery/attack occurred on was booked through the ship... One of the men held a gun to a 10 year old's head and cut a camera off a woman's neck with a machete. One of the gunmen was later killed by police. Scary. I've been to Ocho Rios but would avoid this port (at least stay on the ship) in the future, and have suggested to a cruiseline that they remove it from future itineraries.

The Carnival excursion that the robbery/attack occurred on was booked through the ship... One of the men held a gun to a 10 year old's head. Scary. I've been to Ocho Rios but would avoid this port (at least stay on the ship) in the future, and have suggested to a cruiseline that they remove it from future itineraries.

Went on a shore excursion in Ocho Rios in Jan of this year, booked directly thru the internet site of the vendor, had no problems but felt uneasy several times and had there been a hijack or robbery attempt, I wouldn't have thought our driver & tour guide could have done anything to protect us. Drugs were offered everywhere (including the protected/gated shopping area as well as our destination which was also protected/gated) which I expected, but when we declined, the dealers harrassed. I agree with JMF - I'd avoid that port in the future or stay on the ship....having said that, it's easier to say since I was able to experience the island a bit. Too bad; it's a beautiful island with a very interesting culture & history.

Is the port area in MB secured and not open to the general population. In Belize and Costa Maya the port area is not accessible to the locals. I felt very unsafe in Belize while walking outside of the port area but everything was very secure inside the gates....

I am cruising on RCCL cruise next trip and MB is one of the ports. I am sooooo hoping the the cruiselines cross Jamaica off the stops until the crime and harrassment is under control.

People tend to forget that Jamaica is a third world country. Some of the same crimes that happend there happen here. Basically people need to educate themselves as to where to go and not to go.

When people state that I am going to LA do you send them to WATTS...oh hell NO... Why because of the same stuff the happends in Jamaica happends there...Prostitution,Drive by shootings,drugs,etc....

We have been to Jamaica four times. Next April we will be making our fifth trip. One of the trips was land based for nine days. We hired Carolyn of Barrett Adventures to be our tour guide for a week. She is sponsored through the JTB which is the Jamaican Tourist Board. Our safety was her number one concern. If you go to the Jamica port link you will find many people have used her services. Carolyn is an American that moved to Jamaica 20 years ago. Her husband is a native Jamaican.

When we toured Jamaica, we wanted to get away from the toursit traps along the coast. We went to the Blue Mountain ridge areas, did the Balck River Safari and saw Allegartors,we drove to Mandeville for a true Jamiacan meal. Dunnes river Falls,YS Waterfalls, Appleton Rum Factory,Martha Brea River are just a few of the places that shouldn't be missed while touring Jamaica.

Basically you need to know where to go and not to go. Stay away from Kingston becasue of the crime. Ganga or Pot is offered everywhere you go in the Caribbean.

Go to Jamaica have a great time, relax and everything will be Irie

Angela

Archived