NCL Jewel Review Follow-Up

pandabear3

I am sorry to have offended anyone on this board. My intention was/is to give people information so they can make the best informed decision once they are on the ship.

As far as the Blue Lagoon goes, we did experience the long wait. We did inform management several times. They were aware of the situation and called for back up. We felt it wrong to leave since we had just met new friends at another table, who witnessed the whole thing. We did let the front desk know as well. At this point we brushed it off and went on with our lives. I only brought it up so that you can save valuable cruise time.

As far as Lobster Night being mentioned in the Daily, my husband and I have reread it twice, and cannot find any mention of it. We just wanted you to know it was a dining option.

Yes, I have cruised NCL but now realize it was before "freestyle"!

We made our frustrations known to management as I would want to know if it was my business. Once we were able to talk to them, all was good!

As far as the Tours:

Messina: We did our own thing. We took a local bus to Taormina. It is quite beautiful there. We loved the ride thru the town!

Naples: We hired aptours and drove to Pompeii, where we hooked up with Professor Marianno who gave us a wonderful walking tour thru Pompeii. We then drove to Revelli, on to the Amalfi coast and a stop for lunch. Then to the Emerald Grotto. Our driver was wonderful, if anyone wants his info, please let me know.

Rome: We hired a private driver who knew many short cuts.For example, we did not have to wait in the huge line for the Colosseum for tickets.The private drivers know all the ins and outs. So we were able to maximize our time. Also, good for people who cannot walk a lot.

F.Y.I. We did the private tours with another family, so price wise it probably comes out to the same as the ship excursions.

Livorno: We did the ship excursion to Pisa and Florence. This way is okay. You do in some ways feel like cattle. The only negative I feel is that we were unaware that the included lunch was in a hotel with a set menu, not too good if you have dietary restrictions. Also, you lose out on getting the whole flavor of the city by not sitting outside at one of the cafes. Other people in our group felt like they did not have time to shop since lunch took up a lot of time. In Florence they have beautiful leather products! If I had it to do again, I would do "Florence on your own" with the ship excursions.

Cannes: We just enjoyed a low key day walking around the amazing French Riviera!

Ciao for now!

I am sorry to have offended anyone on this board. My intention was/is to give people information so they can make the best informed decision once they are on the ship.

As far as the Blue Lagoon goes, we did experience the long wait. We did inform management several times. They were aware of the situation and called for back up. We felt it wrong to leave since we had just met new friends at another table, who witnessed the whole thing. We did let the front desk know as well. At this point we brushed it off and went on with our lives. I only brought it up so that you can save valuable cruise time.

As far as Lobster Night being mentioned in the Daily, my husband and I have reread it twice, and cannot find any mention of it. We just wanted you to know it was a dining option.

Yes, I have cruised NCL but now realize it was before "freestyle"!

We made our frustrations known to management as I would want to know if it was my business. Once we were able to talk to them, all was good!

As far as the Tours:

Messina: We did our own thing. We took a local bus to Taormina. It is quite beautiful there. We loved the ride thru the town!

Naples: We hired aptours and drove to Pompeii, where we hooked up with Professor Marianno who gave us a wonderful walking tour thru Pompeii. We then drove to Revelli, on to the Amalfi coast and a stop for lunch. Then to the Emerald Grotto. Our driver was wonderful, if anyone wants his info, please let me know.

Rome: We hired a private driver who knew many short cuts.For example, we did not have to wait in the huge line for the Colosseum for tickets.The private drivers know all the ins and outs. So we were able to maximize our time. Also, good for people who cannot walk a lot.

F.Y.I. We did the private tours with another family, so price wise it probably comes out to the same as the ship excursions.

Livorno: We did the ship excursion to Pisa and Florence. This way is okay. You do in some ways feel like cattle. The only negative I feel is that we were unaware that the included lunch was in a hotel with a set menu, not too good if you have dietary restrictions. Also, you lose out on getting the whole flavor of the city by not sitting outside at one of the cafes. Other people in our group felt like they did not have time to shop since lunch took up a lot of time. In Florence they have beautiful leather products! If I had it to do again, I would do "Florence on your own" with the ship excursions.

Cannes: We just enjoyed a low key day walking around the amazing French Riviera!

Ciao for now!

If things got better after your talked to management why do you say you will never cruise NCL again. Isn't this over reacting a little when all that happened was a couple of things: you didn't know about the Lobster, why? Who knows, you obviously didn't check the menues. You had to wait to have the table cleaned but you didn't want to leave cause you met some new friends at a table?

I do not get your reasoning at all and a few minor problems certainly wouldn't convince me not to ever sail a line again. Or maybe you said, you probably wouldn't but you didn't answer some of the questions like, have you ever sailed any line with the $10 auto tipping? Carnival as well as HAl among others do the same. In fact have you sailed any other lines period?

Could your problem be you expected too much of the "OLD CRUISING" and were not prepared for the changes?

Nita

One wonders how many threads are going to be started to discuss this rant.

Isn't this the rant where the OP complained that they TWICE went to RESERVATIONS-REQUIRED restaurants without having made reservations and then came here to complain that only once were they seated? Huh? They were fortunate to be seated once, and should have been appropriately grateful that the restaurant hostess allowed them a table after being so inconsiderate as to show up without one. Instead of being thankful, they chose instead to go to the internet to complain. Takes all kinds.

I really think some of the responses to this review have been very hostile - everyone is entitled to their own opinon and everyone has different expectations.

We sailed on the Jewel last year and loved it but that is not to say everything was perfect 100% of the time.

It really worries me that when someone dares to criticise they are jumped upon - it will end up with people being too scared to post reviews .

I really think some of the responses to this review have been very hostile - everyone is entitled to their own opinon and everyone has different expectations.

We sailed on the Jewel last year and loved it but that is not to say everything was perfect 100% of the time.

It really worries me that when someone dares to criticise they are jumped upon - it will end up with people being too scared to post reviews .

If people choose to post rants like this, twice I might add, then perhaps they should be scared. There are those that will call them on it. Thank you Hotspur. You can’t expect to come here and post junk and have everyone pat you on the back.

If people choose to post rants like this, twice I might add, then perhaps they should be scared. There are those that will call them on it. Thank you Hotspur. You can’t expect to come here and post junk and have everyone pat you on the back.

This is totally the type of hostile and rude response that is not called for - have you actually read the posting or just jumped on the bandwagon with the others.

Everyone is entitled to their viewpoint

thanks woodie for your comments... I was hoping to help people with their trip, just as this board helped me. I see I was wrong for some people....glad I did not meet them on my trip!!!

Perhaps it's time to remove myself from this hostile environment.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and yes, it may seem like some of us are hostile, but read her complaints; she will never cruise NCL again because she couldn't get seated in a restaurant that required reservations. It took too long to clear a table, but she didn't want to leave, they didn't know about Lobster night. Don't you think these are pretty petty gripes?

Each of us could probable come up with similar complaints about any ship we have sailed. Look hard enought and you will find negatives about anything. Nita

thanks woodie for your comments... I was hoping to help people with their trip, just as this board helped me. I see I was wrong for some people....glad I did not meet them on my trip!!!

Perhaps it's time to remove myself from this hostile environment.

And how did you think you were helping someone?

Nita

Thanks PandaBear3, your comments were very helpful to us and all info regarding the Jewel is interesting.

I think your "rant" as its called was fair enough, we should be allowed to give both sides....well maybe not and live here:confused:

Could be all the tension of waiting for their cruises.................:eek:

How did I think I was helping someone? Did you not read my entire entries? When I was planning my Med. Cruise, I know how confusing it can be to decide what to do in each port and how to get to the cities, since travelling is involoved. By sharing this info about what we did, and what worked well for us, I hope it can help others.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and yes, it may seem like some of us are hostile, but read her complaints; she will never cruise NCL again because she couldn't get seated in a restaurant that required reservations. It took too long to clear a table, but she didn't want to leave, they didn't know about Lobster night. Don't you think these are pretty petty gripes?

Well said, Nita--as you always do. Much ado about nothing, in my opinion.

If the OP really wanted to "help' others, the posting would have been in the form of suggestions, not incessant complaints. For example, instead of whining about not being seated in RESERVATIONS-REQUIRED restaurants when showing up without having made a reservation, perhaps telling everyone that they really should take the time to make reservations if they want to eat in a specialty restaurant. Perhaps, instead of loudly complaining that NCL didn't broadcast a general announcement about it being lobster night (Must they annouce beef Wellington night, or rack of lamb night, too?), a suggestion might have been made to check the dinner menus (for the entire cruise) that are always available at reception or checking the dinner menu posted at each main dining room after lunch is over (as we do). Things like that would have been "helpful" to readers here as opposed to the uncalled-for rant that we were subjected to instead.

This is what I call a "revenge" thread: Because the OP couldn't figure out how to make freestyle dining work (in this case), he or she gets even by discouraging everyone else from cruising the line in question. Nothing "helpful" about this, I'd say.

If the OP really wanted to "help' others, the posting would have been in the form of suggestions, not incessant complaints. For example, instead of whining about not being seated in RESERVATIONS-REQUIRED restaurants when showing up without having made a reservation, perhaps telling everyone that they really should take the time to make reservations if they want to eat in a specialty restaurant. Perhaps, instead of loudly complaining that NCL didn't broadcast a general announcement about it being lobster night (Must they annouce beef Wellington night, or rack of lamb night, too?), a suggestion might have been made to check the dinner menus (for the entire cruise) that are always available at reception or checking the dinner menu posted at each main dining room after lunch is over (as we do). Things like that would have been "helpful" to readers here as opposed to the uncalled-for rant that we were subjected to instead.

This is what I call a "revenge" thread: Because the OP couldn't figure out how to make freestyle dining work (in this case), he or she gets even by discouraging everyone else from cruising the line in question. Nothing "helpful" about this, I'd say.

thanks Hotspur. You notice she doesn't really answer any questions except to say "I just wanted to help. Saying I would never sail NCL again cause a couple of things didn't suit me really isn't much help. She did give some advise on tours, that was all. Maybe NCL will read this board and decide to announce each night what is for dinner in the main dining rooms. How many complaints do you think they would get? Can you see it now? It's 2pm, you have spent the day in the sun and now it is time to take a little rest, maybe watch a movie and suddenly the PA system comes on: "Good afternoon all my friends, this is your captain. I just wanted to inform you, tonight, in the main dining rooms, the chef is featuring Rib Eye steak, salmon or meat loaf. Have a good afternoon" or maybe the freesyle daily should add a couple of pages, with menus for the upcoming day? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

True reviews, even ones that are negative or more so than positive or those reports that do offer good suggestions are worth reading and taking seriously. NCL isn't for everyone, but when I see something like what was posted I wonder what the poster was expecting? Obviously perfection!! Nita

This is totally the type of hostile and rude response that is not called for - have you actually read the posting or just jumped on the bandwagon with the others.

Everyone is entitled to their viewpoint

Everyone, really? Does that include me as well? One would wonder!

I know you're trying to be funny, but I really like this idea.
Well I was trying but maybe it would be a good idea. Only problem, if they post dinner menues, the next thing someone will want lunch and then breakfast: lots of paper and lots of waste. Let's keep it the way it is.

LOL

nita

Well I was trying but maybe it would be a good idea. Only problem, if they post dinner menues, the next thing someone will want lunch and then breakfast: lots of paper and lots of waste. Let's keep it the way it is.

LOL

nita

Perhaps menus could be available on the TV in your stateroom.

You people need to get a life; you must have too much time on your hands. Some criticize every little thing that happens and take no responsibility for anything. Just as bad are those who take these petty, critical comments so personal and attack.

You people need to get a life; you must have too much time on your hands. Some criticize every little thing that happens and take no responsibility for anything. Just as bad are those who take these petty, critical comments so personal and attack.

Even worse are those who take up space but say nothing of interest.

...... Nothing "helpful" about this, I'd say.

actually, if less people sail on ncl = more upgrades for me ;)

jk

Archived