First Cruise with Grandkids**Passport On Shore??

Doug&Suzy-Q

This will be our first vacation cruise with the grandkids.:D

Ages will be 12, 11, 8. I have been reading Carnivals requirements for kid things......I am familiar with adult info....however....this is a whole new adventure.:eek:

Question: Official Carnival info says to get off & on the ship you need your S&S card AND a picture ID........My DH & I always use of drivers license........I am just not comfortable taking my passport off the ship and having it disappear while we snorkle or do water sports....

What do you do for kids...they have no picture ID other than their passport..........can you photo the passport??

I have emailed Carnival....with no reply. Oh..we will be going to St.Thomas, St. Marten, Nassau. My DH & I usually rent a car so we have our second ID as our license.....this time we want to do kid things.

This will be our first vacation cruise with the grandkids.:D

Ages will be 12' date=' 11, 8. I have been reading Carnivals requirements for kid things......I am familiar with adult info....however....this is a whole new adventure.:eek: [/color']

Question: Official Carnival info says to get off & on the ship you need your S&S card AND a picture ID........My DH & I always use of drivers license........I am just not comfortable taking my passport off the ship and having it disappear while we snorkle or do water sports....

What do you do for kids...they have no picture ID other than their passport..........can you photo the passport??

I have emailed Carnival....with no reply. Oh..we will be going to St.Thomas, St. Marten, Nassau. My DH & I usually rent a car so we have our second ID as our license.....this time we want to do kid things.

I concur with Mur-cruiser, photocopy their passports and leave the originals in the safe. I have NEVER been asked for the photo ID (other than renting a car), the cruise line just tells you to take it in case the local authorities ask to see it.

What you didn't ask about, and may have well in hand, is the need for a notorized statement from BOTH parents giving you permission to take the kids across international borders. This is needed anytime they travel unless BOTH parents are with them [ie one parent needs to have in hand authorization from the other (based on child custody fight problems)].

Thank you....that is a whole different story........

The kids have divorced parents.......my daughter has "primary" custody and I will get a notorized letter as you stated........

I will not be obtaining one from the absent divorced father....

I can't imagine this necessary.......

In many situations........there is no father...so this would be impossible to request.........

Carnival requirements show that a letter is necessary for Mexico but not the ports we are going to........however, I will bring the letter...just in case...........

Thanks for the heads up......like I said I am totally new to bringing the kids with us.......so any info is welcome.......:D

The kids have divorced parents.......my daughter has "primary" custody and I will get a notorized letter as you stated........

In many situations........there is no father...so this would be impossible to request.........

Carnival requirements show that a letter is necessary for Mexico but not the ports we are going to........however' date=' I will bring the letter...just in case...........[/color']

Thanks for the heads up......like I said I am totally new to bringing the kids with us.......so any info is welcome.......:D

Just to reaffirm the statement from the previous person, and also acknowledging that I don't know your daughter's "divorce" situation, I offer the following:

I have "primary" custody of my children w/their father having "full rights". Our situation is unusally unique as its extremely amicable (better parents now that we are apart as opposed to how we were when we were together), HOWEVER, even when I travel out of the State of Florida to another state, let alone when we cruise, I carry a signed, notarized formal letter from their dad stating that I have permission to take the children to wherever I am going (ie. State of NC, Disney Cruise, etc.). If the "absent" father has any rights at all and if the situation isn't as amicable as mine is, I'd strongly suggest trying to obtain permission. These types of situations can result in a ruined vacation if the "absent" father chooses to be a "jerk".

Either way, good luck and I wish you all the fun and happiness a vacation should hold for grandparents taking their grandkids.

Sack:)

You should also have a letter stating you have the power to sign for any medical care necessary for each child. This should be notarized. I know things are getting relly screwy! But my husband, the Dr, would not treat without one. Enjoy!:)

B.

Carnival requirements show that a letter is necessary for Mexico but not the ports we are going to........however' date=' I will bring the letter...just in case...........[/color']

Any documentation as to her primary custody would be useful IF there is a problem. Most of the time you'll probably never be asked for anything, but they have the right to make sure you are not absconding with the children. I personally have never had to deal with this, but there are threads on this topic. You might check with US Immigration well before you leave - they will tell you the maximum amount of documentation they would ask for.

Have a great cruise with your grandchildren!

What you didn't ask about, and may have well in hand, is the need for a notorized statement from BOTH parents giving you permission to take the kids across international borders. This is needed anytime they travel unless BOTH parents are with them [ie one parent needs to have in hand authorization from the other (based on child custody fight problems)].

Just a little note about the notarized statement...I unfortunately am dealing with a domestic violence situation with my ex husband and our daughter who is 10. I have a restraining order against him and he is not allowed to even see her. I have complete legal and physical custody of her. So the passport agency told me all I need to do was show the official (purple stamp on it) restraining order that proves I have full custody and I can get her passport, no problem. Now I am about to do this, so let's see if they really stick to what they have told me since I have just paid my cruise in full as of today (yippeeee!!!) I just wanted to let everyone know about this in case they're in this type of situation.

Dawn

I concur with Mur-cruiser, photocopy their passports and leave the originals in the safe. I have NEVER been asked for the photo ID (other than renting a car), the cruise line just tells you to take it in case the local authorities ask to see it.

Not exactly correct. Per RCCL's web site, "You need a letter of authorization signed by at least ONE parent." Also, we just got back from a 4 day Sovereign trip yesterday with our 7 year old Grandson. At checkin and disembarking, both RCCl and US Customs just glanced at his BC and no one ever asked for and authorization letter. Also per RCCL's web site, "children below the age of 16 do NOT have to have a photo ID.

Happy Cruising..............

Tanker 4

I thank you all so much.....this is VERY helpful information.......

Betsy'sMom....I never even though of this situation.....thank you so much, I will include this in the notary letter...

We were fortunate that my DD attorney....at the court house asked the judge to "make" her X sign for the passports......when we were at the clerk's desk, my DD attny....MADE him sign right there (she had the passport application with her).... at the time, I knew the new passport laws were pending....the time was right....someone was watching over us that day!!

Actually, I chose the the ports I did because I did not want to deal with the Mexican rules of mandatory notorized letter....

Thank you all so much.....you ease my worries:)

Not exactly correct. Per RCCL's web site, "You need a letter of authorization signed by at least ONE parent." Also, we just got back from a 4 day Sovereign trip yesterday with our 7 year old Grandson. At checkin and disembarking, both RCCl and US Customs just glanced at his BC and no one ever asked for and authorization letter. Also per RCCL's web site, "children below the age of 16 do NOT have to have a photo ID.

Tanker 4

I agree that usually you never get asked. Virtually everytime I've returned from a Caribbean cruise a rather bored looking immigration/customs/border patrol [whatever he is] officer just stands there as everyone steams past him. And I won't disagree as to what RCI asks for. Just be aware that words, such as the following from NWAirlines exist in many places:

International Travel with Minors (including Canada & Mexico)

Because some foreign countries may not permit entry to minors not accompanied by both parents without additional documentation, we highly recommend you travel with the following documentation: Many countries require documentary evidence of the traveling adults' relationship to the child and permission of the parent(s) or legal guardian before they will allow the child to cross the border. Single parents, grandparents or guardians traveling with children often need proof of custody or notarized letters from the other parent authorizing travel. These requirements are in addition to passport or proof of citizenship requirements.

• Minor traveling with one parent: If a minor child is traveling with only one parent, the absent parent is recommended to provide notarized consent. If only one parent has legal custody, that parent should be prepared to provide a court order of child custody to airlines and international authorities.
  • Minor traveling alone: If a minor child is traveling alone or in someone else's company, both parents (or the sole, documented custodial parent) are recommended to provide notarized consent.
  • Minor with a different last name: If a child traveling has a different last name from the mother and/or father, the parents should be prepared to provide evidence to airlines and official authorities, such as a birth certificate or adoption decree, to prove that they are the parents.
  • Minor has one deceased parent: If one parent is deceased, a death certificate should be readily provided by the other parent.
  • Minor has one parent: If the birth certificate shows that the minor only has one parent, it will be sufficient to hold only a notarized copy of the birth certificate.

And yes I recognize that the word "recommended" appears a number of times; it all depends on what the particular country you happen to be in that day decides to ask for. I wouldn't get overly worried about this as you most likely won't ever be asked, but if you can with out too much trouble adequately document your case ahead of time you will have all your bases covered.

Back on original topic...

Getting on/off the ship -- last year, my children only had their S&S. DH and I had driver licenses. We were never asked for photo ID for the children.

When they scan your card as you board the ship in each port, the picture taken upon embarking comes up on the screen. They will know that you didn't find 'replacement' kids somewhere! :D

Archived