Sensation formal nite??

rubycruzr

I'll be on that cruise next Thursday! :D

I was also told by recent cruisers that the formal night is the second night, in port. :( It sure would be nice if they moved that to the third night, so that you didn't have to choose between a longer shore excursion or missing the formal dinner.

It's difficult scheduling a formal night on a three night cruise, because traditionally formal night is the second night of the cruise (of course there are sometimes exceptions due to length of cruise and the itinerary). It's never on the first night (luggage may not have arrived) nor the last night of a cruise.

It's difficult scheduling a formal night on a three night cruise, because traditionally formal night is the second night of the cruise (of course there are sometimes exceptions due to length of cruise and the itinerary). It's never on the first night (luggage may not have arrived) nor the last night of a cruise.

Just curious... I understand why it's never the first night, but why never the last? Is it because you have to pack your bags and have them out in the hall by a certain time? Even with the 8:15 seating, I'd still rather go back to my room by 10:45 to change, throw the dress in the bag and put my bags out by 11 pm, than to have it on the one and only port night. I'm probably in the minority on that, though! LOL

We are doing this cruise in January and set our dinner time for 8:00 to give us a little more time in port. I hope everybody else doesn't request this too and we get bumped to an earlier sitting.

Just curious... I understand why it's never the first night, but why never the last? Is it because you have to pack your bags and have them out in the hall by a certain time? Even with the 8:15 seating, I'd still rather go back to my room by 10:45 to change, throw the dress in the bag and put my bags out by 11 pm, than to have it on the one and only port night. I'm probably in the minority on that, though! LOL
That may be part of the reason why, but the first formal night dinner (there are two formal nights on longer cruises) is typically called "Captain's Welcome Aboard Dinner". I guess it would be pretty silly to welcome us aboard on the last night. ;)

That may be part of the reason why, but the first formal night dinner (there are two formal nights on longer cruises) is typically called "Captain's Welcome Aboard Dinner". I guess it would be pretty silly to welcome us aboard on the last night. ;)

Well, why don't they just make it a plain ol' formal night? :D Call it just "Captain's Dinner" or something.

Tradition is good and all... but traditionally cruises aren't three nights only, are they? ;)

I'd say that is a HUGE part of it... it's formal night, and MANY people wouldn't be back to their cabin by 10:45 to get changed. And yes, one of the big traditions is the welcome aboard/captains party... sometimes even on the longer cruises, it is held on a port day depending on the itinerary...

You don't have to go to formal night (I've done one 3 day cruise and skipped formal night for that very reason, we stayed in Nassau late and had MUCH more fun!!) :D

You don't have to go to formal night (I've done one 3 day cruise and skipped formal night for that very reason, we stayed in Nassau late and had MUCH more fun!!) :D

If we were doing a three night cruise, I think we would also skip formal night. In that case, we could get away with taking on a small roll-on suitcase each and not have to check any bags.

Yeah, we'll probably skip it as well. It just would have been nice to see DH in his USAF mess dress again. :(

Oh well, there's always a reason for a longer cruise next time, right?

Archived