Venice

Iamsailing

My wife and i are sailing on the Silver Cloud Monte-Carlo - Venice, We are spending a extra night in Venice.

Can some one tell me what is the best way to get from the ship to the Hotel Riallto and what the cost might be

1 Take the ship transport to the airport and leave the large suitcases in left luggage, then take a water bus back to the hotel

2 Take transport straight to the hotel

Many thanks

Barry and Beryl Luke

This hotel is just a short distance from St Marks Square where you'll probably be dropped off and can be reached by a Vaporetto 82 or a water taxi. The distance is very short and it strikes me that the messing around of going to the airport first is a complete waste of time.

http://www.rialtohotel.com/uk/location.htm

http://www.actv.it/eng/home.php?PHPSESSID=bd48da9858f1697a0f3ec897147ede36#

The Rialto Hotel is actually a pretty good distance from St. Mark's Square, but--as UK1 says--it's easy enough to reach by vaporetto. If you're traveling with heavy luggage, you might consider taking a land taxi for the short distance from the cruise terminal to the Piazzale Roma (the end of the line for cars and buses coming into Venice) and hiring a porter to help you get the bags to your hotel via public transportation. Still, a water taxi is the most convenient (and fun) way to reach the hotel if you can afford it, as you probably can if you're cruising with Silversea.

We were just in Venice and (from the train station) a water taxi picked us up, helped with the luggage and dropped us right off at the Westin Regina Europa (on the Grand Canal) for 60 Euros... If you share with another couple the fare will be less - combined. Three couples shared a water taxi from the hotel to the port of Venice and it was 30 Euros each couple (a total of 90). Hopefully, this gives you some idea.

I don't know how far your hotel is from the airport - could it be much different?

The hotel was beautiful... However: Our first room was not acceptable to me becuase I am spoiled.. The room itself was pretty and clean and sufficient; however, when I looked out the window, I stared at a blank wall 8 feet away. We upgraded (royally) and to my pleasure, we had a large balcony directly on the Grand Canal. Absolutely awesome, we paid dearly for it though.

The air conditioning could have been cooler... but (like I said) I am spoiled. The buffet breakfast was good, a nice outdoor spot right on the Grand Canal.

Very centrally located to St. Mark's square and all that that entails.

We found Venice overall to be all about shopping and pigeons and gorgeous architecture.

• 10 months later...

I've read on a previous cruise review

http://home.tiscali.nl/t411310/scl/scloud002.htm

that SS provides a shuttle transfer service from Stazione Marritima to St Marks Square, but in the silver box and instructions it doesn't mention this at all - just that there are public vaporetti services. I've searched but can't find it discussed recently.

Can anyone who has SS'ed to Venice lately say whether they provide a shuttle please?

Thanks,

Jeff

June'06

1.Elena's Rome shuttle service was booked but did not appear to

transfer us from Venice airport to hotel.

2.Took pvt water taxi to St Mark's Sq...80 euros.

3.Why not ask your ship's concierge for advice...probably to book a pvt water taxi to take you from the marine terminal to the 'back door' of your hotel.

Thanks Susan,

And this is between St Marks and the ship?

Also, I'm trying to picture this - do they use their own tenders?! Seems a bit out of place ..... but I'm not proud!

Jeff

my husband and I were there with SS last month. Yes, they provided vaporetti service for the day...you will have an all day pass for that one boat. It is just a 2 minute walk from the ship. Very convenient.

We have the reverse question. We board Silver Shadow in Venice 9/23 for the start of our cruise. We will have spent a few days in the Italian Lake District first. Should we drive to Mestre and get a land taxi to the ship? Take a train to Mestre or the final train stop in Venice? Thanks for any advice!

We have the reverse question. We board Silver Shadow in Venice 9/23 for the start of our cruise. We will have spent a few days in the Italian Lake District first. Should we drive to Mestre and get a land taxi to the ship? Take a train to Mestre or the final train stop in Venice? Thanks for any advice!

The Venice Santa Lucia railway station (the station in Venice proper) doesn't have access to land taxis, so I'd suggest taking a train to the Venice Mestre station and catching a cab from there to the pier. The taxi shouldn't cost too much, since the distance is fairly short (just a few km across the causeway to Venice).

For more information on Venice, you might want to check out my Venice for Visitors site at http://veniceforvisitors.com.

Thanks Susan,

And this is between St Marks and the ship?

Also, I'm trying to picture this - do they use their own tenders?! Seems a bit out of place ..... but I'm not proud!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I thought that I would ask the question about the shuttle service on the question submit section on th SS website,and after four hours a reply was had

Dear sir, many thanks for your enquiry.Silversea does provide a complimentary Shuttle Water Taxi from the ship to St Marks Square.We look forward to welcoming you aboard the Silver Shadow on the 5th August 2005.

Regards

John

• 4 weeks later...

The complimentary service is by vaporetto, a much larger, slower and less plush craft than a "water taxi"--really not conducive to taking large pieces of luggage, though it can be done.

Archived