Western Med Temperatures in August

Dear Cruisers,

I would appreciate a few words of advice. I will be on Carnival Freedom in August, and I know the probable temperatures on land during the cruise, but would really like to know how cold it gets out on the open sea, especially at night, and also how cold the ship's air conditioning keeps the public areas of the ship. It is, of course, our first cruise, and I would hate to pack the wrong things. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Elena

The seas in August during the day will be quite warm and at night will be fairly comfortable as well.

While I have not sailed on your ship, many times you will find that some of the indoor rooms on ships can be quite cool. And of course each person is different. What is cold for one person is warm or hot to another. With that said, it's a good idea to bring one or two sweater sets with you in case you get cool on the ship.

Keith

I have been on three Mediterranean cruises: 7 night in May 2005, 10 night in June 2006 & 10 night again in June/July this year.

On all of them it was no colder stepping out onto the promenade deck, or the main pool deck, than it had been inside the ship. And this year, in a very hot late June in the E Med, it was definitely warmer outside: when stepping out in my dinner suit, for example, I quite quickly got rather warm. Temps at 11pm or midnight were still 70 degrees or more.

We were on Liberty last summer for the last week in August, and I must say temps were ideal- warm enough for pool days at sea, cool enough for slacks at night. Some locals in ports said that the temps were a bit on the cool side from normal.

Since recently southern Europe has been in the grips of a major heat wave while the British Isles have had historic flooding for the past 40 days, I would be watching the world weather reports for jet stream changes, hoping that the rains stop in the UK and the temps go back to normal in the med...Usually weather patterns have a tendency to change rather than stay the same.

Good Luck!

Archived