Just Off Oceana

scottie99

I have just arrived home after a weeks cruise on Oceana.

Whilst I enjoyed my week I was disapointed in so many aspects of this ship.

I have cruised about 16 times (mainly RCCL) but my only other P&O cruise was on Aurora about 3/4 years ago.

I found my balcony cabin to be very small and cramped compared to most other ships. There seemed to be a cramped feeling about the whole ship. (It was often difficult to find a seat in public areas). The weather was often not good so I realise this did not help.

The lack of good spacious public lounges were confirmed by the fact that quizes were held in one of the restaurants!

I also cannot believe that P&O can describe the Horizon and Plaza areas as 'Select Dining' restaurants , and, then charge for the experience!

The ambiance of these areas is all wrong, with one being a buffet area and the other being a corridor from the pool area. Neither the service nor the quality of the food is up to a required standard.

The quality of food in the Ligurian Restaurant (we were on Freeedom Dining) was better than both select venues.

If I can answer any of your questions I would be pleased to help.

Having sailed on the 'Sun' class ships on over 10 occasions in the Caribbean and never having met the problems you had, I can however sympathise. Oceana or Ocean Princess as she was originally christened was built for Princess cruises for their port intensive Caribbean programme. Therefore it does not surprise me that a Med cruise coupled with indifferent weather would show up its shortcomings on the ex Southampton sailings.

As far as using the Horizon and Plaza areas as 'Select Dining' restaurants' well! its just a way of conning some extra cash out of the punters

Cb

Interesting that a cruiser on the same cruise has just posted this on P&O CC:-

"Well we are just back from our week on Oceana with the grandchildren and it was brilliant. Facilities were every bit as good as you said and we loved having the wider age range than we find on our adult only or term time cruises. What also struck me was the lack of whingers - the atmosphere was always happy and cheerful - even when there was a delay with tendering at St Peter Port. We never heard one grumble about P&O the whole week. How refreshing!

The children had a fantastic time and so did their parents. I cannot praise all the staff highly enough. They all appear to love children and make a fuss of them wherever they go.

The children and young people on board were a credit to their parents. They were friendly and polite and behaved very well (to the best of our knowledge anyway)."

So different a perception of the same cruise.

A little investigation before you cruised may have answered some of your comments.

We have been on Adonia and did not find the cabins to be any smaller than Aurora. the main beef from my wife was the lack of a bath, but she knew this when we booked.

Oceana of course has 4/5 sisters sailing under the Princess flag and as I have seen on the P&O board a great many fans. We shall see on 25th August when we try her out for the first time.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Actually, Princess has three sister ships sailing: Sun, Dawn, and Sea.

Oceana, the former Ocean Princess, was the fourth of 4 sisters.

Sea Princess did sail for P&O (UK) as Adonia, but has reverted to her original name.

I cut and pasted my original post onto P&O CC page as a comment to the other cruisers post.

I am very surprised to find P&O have removed it!

Whatever happened to free speech? Can P&O not stand any comments that are any way negative?

everyones is different otherwise life would be boring!I was on this cruise too and will post a review when I get chance and whilst I enjoyed it as with most experiences in life it wasn't hassle free but overall I enjoyed it.

When the weather was grotty (Force 7 in bay of Biscay) the ship was very cramped inside and it didn't ride the seas well,both of these factors I put down to the ship being built for the Carribean.

The food was excellent in the main restaurants so didn't feel the need to go to the pay restaurants but they were not great venues, I would have to agree as they are not purpose built something P & O need to consider when they refit her perhaps.

I cut and pasted my original post onto P&O CC page as a comment to the other cruisers post.

I am very surprised to find P&O have removed it!

Whatever happened to free speech? Can P&O not stand any comments that are any way negative?

Hi scottie99,

You were unlucky. I have seen far worse, than your posting.:rolleyes: Perhaps it is a new policy:).

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

As you might see from my review we didn't find that our kids were made a fuss of except in the kids club itself which was good.The worst aspect of this (the kids are used to being made a fuss of by most staff on cruise ships) was one night dining when we were ordering a waiter pointed at my 5 year old and said "what does she want?" in a way that suggested Rachel who was very patient and well behaved shouldn't be there at all!

I have to say I found some of the bar staff lovely but many of the waiters and cabin staff surly.

Archived