Rum Point

NoVa Mimi

I just wanted to let folks know that if you are considering going to Rum Point while in Grand Cayman, do it!! :) We went there on our recent Freedom cruise and can honestly say it was absolutly perfect! It is so beautiful and quiet there, it's almost too good to be true. I think I may have found one of my favorite places in the world at Rum Point. It's a bit hard to figure out transportation issues, but well worth it.

Hi NoVa,

Thanks for your review of Rum Point...:) Just curious, did you go there as part of an excursion or did you rent a car? How much time did you get to spend there? Also, do you know how the prices are for food and drinks?

My fiance and I will be stopping in GC in October and we're considering renting a car for the day and hitting Rum Point just based on all of the good reviews here on CC. I'm glad you thought it was worth it! :)

Benji, we went through Island Marketing, they offer excursions on several of the islands. We had a van and driver for the day and spent it at Rum Point. The only problem is, we just didn't have long enough as this was a tender port and the last tender was at 3:30. It takes about 45-50 minutes to get to Rum Point, but in hindsight, it was a very easy drive. You stay on one road for quite some time, then turn left on the only major road that crosses the island and that takes you right there! :) I can't remember the prices for food and drinks, but my husband said the drinks aren't really too much more than on the ship. The food was cooked to order and looked very yummy!:) One of the best things was there was nobody walking around trying to sell you something. It was nice and quiet and laid back...just as a tropical beach should be :) I was just amazed that you can walk out so far in the water and still only be thigh deep. It truly is beautiful and you won't regret going there, I assure you!

We were in Rum Point last Tuesday on Enchantment, and it was my absolute

favorite visit to Grand Cayman. We rented a Jeep Wrangler from Avis. There

was a pickup shuttle that we met at the Blue Iguana that took us to the airport

where we got the keys and a map and were on our way! It took about 45

minutes to get there and back, but it is a beautiful drive. Rum Point is amazing!

The prices are a little high, especially in the gift shop. We would not hesitate

to do the same thing again if we find ourselves on GC!

Benji, we went through Island Marketing, they offer excursions on several of the islands. We had a van and driver for the day and spent it at Rum Point. The only problem is, we just didn't have long enough as this was a tender port and the last tender was at 3:30. It takes about 45-50 minutes to get to Rum Point, but in hindsight, it was a very easy drive. You stay on one road for quite some time, then turn left on the only major road that crosses the island and that takes you right there! :) I can't remember the prices for food and drinks, but my husband said the drinks aren't really too much more than on the ship. The food was cooked to order and looked very yummy!:) One of the best things was there was nobody walking around trying to sell you something. It was nice and quiet and laid back...just as a tropical beach should be :) I was just amazed that you can walk out so far in the water and still only be thigh deep. It truly is beautiful and you won't regret going there, I assure you!

Hi Nova, thanks for all the info about Rum Point. We were wanting to spend the day there when we visit GC in Janaury and we weren't sure of the best way to do this. All I could find was information about renting a car and making the drive out to Run Point ourselves. Even though I would feel safe in GC, not sure if we want to venture on our own. My question is about your Island Marketing tour. Can I ask how much it was and did they just take you to Rum Point or was there other stops. Their website mentions they have an island tour which I'm not sure we want to stop anywhere else, just hang out at Rum Point.

Also, how was your tendering into GC? We are scheduled to be there actually the same day Freedom of the Seas is there. I was wandering how easy it was for you to get off the ship with a private excursion booked instead of one through RCI. We are going to be on the Voyager of the Seas and are hoping it won't be a problem getting off early in the morning. We arrive at 7am and Freedom comes in behind us at 8am. What was Freedom's procedures for you to get off the ship?

LDR, how much was it to rent a vehicle for the day? We have a group of 6 and are trying to find the best way to visit Rum Point. Also, how was your tendering expereince in GC? Were you able to get off the ship fairly early too?

We were in Rum Point last Tuesday on Enchantment, and it was my absolute

favorite visit to Grand Cayman. We rented a Jeep Wrangler from Avis. There

was a pickup shuttle that we met at the Blue Iguana that took us to the airport

where we got the keys and a map and were on our way! It took about 45

minutes to get there and back, but it is a beautiful drive. Rum Point is amazing!

The prices are a little high, especially in the gift shop. We would not hesitate

to do the same thing again if we find ourselves on GC!

Hi LDR,

Thanks for info! :) If you don't mind me asking, how long were you in port? We are scheduled from 10am to 7pm. Do you think that's long enough for a visit? I thought if we could make it out to Rum Point by 12/12:30ish, and stay until 4:30/5 that should give us enough of a buffer to make it back and drop the car off at the airport. Do you think that's pushing it?

Also, just wondering, how far of a walk is it to the Blue Iguana? Did you have to arrange for the shuttle to meet you there ahead of time, or do they run on some kind of schedule?

OH, and you said in your post it was a "beautiful drive" - anything we should stop and see along the way? Are there a lot of scenic views (i.e. photo ops?). Thanks again! :D

From what I understand, it cost about $50 to rent a car. Forty five minute drive. When you get there what other cost would you have? Beach fee food drinks.

We are a family of 5 and were looking at renting and driving or as someone suggest get a cab to 7 mile, cost about $20 and walk back. Lots of things on beach to do and see. You can spend your money, about $40 per person on tour and have fun.

Any suggestions.

Sondra, the tour through Island Marketing can be whatever you would like it to be, meaning you can have the driver take you anywhere. He will tell you that he is yours for the day !:) It costs $240 for 4 for the van and driver for 5 hours. I believe they take no more than 6 people. Our driver's name was Gino (from Italy) he was wonderful! He gave us a mini sight-seeing tour on the way to Rum Point, had cold bottles of water and was waiting for us when we were done with the air conditioning nice and cold, towels on the seats, everything was just perfect! Lots of photo ops along the way also. That morning we met Gino at the Blue Iguana and he was holding a sign with our name on it...very easy to find. Good luck with your plans and do try to make it there...you'll be very glad you did (just don't let too many folks know about it :) )

Luvmy2doxs and benji817-Sorry it took so long to get back on here-lots of post cruise laundry!

Tendering-we were asked to get tender tickets and wait till our # was called.

The ship excursions had #1. We got #2 and only had about a 15 minute wait

before we were called. It was pretty organized and I think it helped that we

were up and about relatively early.

Blue Iguana-it was a short walk, maybe 10 minutes. Go just past the Hard Rock. The staff in the Blue Iguana will call Avis for a pickup. ( You can get some water bottles for the ride here too) The Avis pickup is complimentary

and they were there pretty quick after being called.

We were in port from 8-5pm. You should have time for a good visit and I would for sure leave by 430pm. I don't know if there is a "rush hour" in Georgetown but you will need to allow a little bit of time to turn the car in and get back to town. You may want to allow some time to shop too. We gave ourselves an hour for shopping and stopped to see the new Margaritaville.

Cost-I couldn't find the paperwork, but I'm pretty sure when it was all said

and done it was around $100, and that included taxes and the driving permit.

Prices in Rum Point are in Cayman dollars. They had a conversion chart in the

gift shop. I was a little taken back when I priced out a sweatshirt at $50

American dollars! I ordered a hamburger and fries and it was $9 Cayman

dollars, and totally delicious. We drank some Sols, our favorite Mexican beer.

They gave us change in Cayman money and we used some of it back in town

and brought some home to show the kids.

LDR, thanks for all the info and pictures. I think our group will get together and decided if we want to try this on our own or go on a private tour. Your info has helped tremendously.

I would like to know one last thing about RCI and their tendering in GC. You all arrived at 7AM like we do, but how does RCI hand out the tickets. Do they ask you to meet at a certain place at a certain time? When we were in Belize last year on Princess, that is what they had us do. We arrived at 7AM and we went down to the dining area where you were suppose to pick up a tendering ticket at 7AM and it only took us about 15 minutes before we were on a tender. Luckily there wasn't more than about 100 people waiting to get off that early in the morning. I was kind of wondering if RCI was about the same? I know renting a mini van or something for all 6 of us would be cheaper but were not sure about doing all this on our own and making sure we got back to the airport with the car and the shuttling back to the port area without any problems.

My DH went down to the pursers desk to get the ticket. Only one person in your party had to go down to get it. He said there were only a few people ahead of him at the time, so getting up early paid off:) There were plenty of tenders too.

As soon as ours loaded up there was another one right behind it, and they

hold a good number of people.

This was our 3rd trip to GC. The first time I arranged a private island tour,

the 2nd we did a RCI Catamaran Excursion to Stingray City, and this time

on our own. I was a little nervous, but it went like clockwork. It was nice

to be by ourselves and make our own adventure. I think if you're organized and early you'll be fine. The islanders know you're on a schedule and will work

with you as much as possible.

Archived