Blackbird71 has died

Host Dan

Sailor's

I received an e-mail from Bill's sister, Rosemarie this afternoon.

Bill passed away in Roanoke, Va. this morning around 3:30 a.m. He died peacefully on his way to the hospital. His family ask that I inform his friends.

I never met Bill but I believe some of our CC posters sailed with him on Seabourn last winter in the Caribbean.

Sooo sad~~~my deepest sympathy to his family.

Martita

I am so horribly shocked! I feel it can't be true. I have so enjoyed his witty and creative postings. His humor was so dry and entertaining. Every criticism was so on the mark and all praises so generous. I felt he embraced life totally on his terms. It is so, so sad to me and thank God we were told of his passing. He will definitely be missed. Sail away Blackbird, sail away.

So sorry to hear of his passing. Though I'm a newer member to this board, "Blackbird71" always responded in kind to any questions I posted. I know that most of you have known him longer and on a more personal level, so, my condolences to all of you and his family. I will miss seeing the "Blackbird71" name and reading his posts.

Denise

I too was shocked and saddened to read this news. I never met Bill, but from reading his posts, I knew we would be friends. Blackbird71, you will be in my thoughts, prayers and may the wind always be beneath your wings ...

038e6949.jpg

Oh, gosh. I just looked on another thread and he had a lovely cruise to Hawaii and Tahiti planned in November. Blackbird was a very generous person. I received a large, beautiful framed and matted picture of one of the Seabourn ships from him one day; and I've never even met him in person! It will be all the more precious to me now.

Jane

I feel very sad about losing Blackbird. I'm very new to cruising and before I decided on my Seabourn cruise I lurked on many a board on Cruise Critic. Blackbird's enthusiastic banter regarding Seabourn was definitely the deciding factor in which cruise line I chose. Seabourn has lost a great advocate and salesperson.

As I said, I'm new to all of this, and I'll miss Blackbird!, though I didn't know him well. He was interesting, entertaining and always ready to share an idea or two, you just had to like the guy!

Thank you, Blackbird ,for your encouraging words as I tried to decide on my first cruise booking. I needed you to tell me I wouldn't get seasick. (Though the Med was not as calm as any of you regulars led me to believe!) Miraculousy, I seemed to like it even when it was a bit choppy! I thank all of you for that! Attitude is everything.

Blackbird, Your spirit will live on in many! Thank you ! Rest in peace!

I sailed with Bill in March on Legend and we had a number of really spirited, in-depth conversations (didn't always agree but disagreed with respect). He was lovely, just lovely, and I'm absolutely floored to hear this news. My heart goes to his family and friends....

And thanks so much HostDan for letting me know.

Best,

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

Sailor's

I received an e-mail from Bill's sister, Rosemarie this afternoon.

Bill passed away in Roanoke, Va. this morning around 3:30 a.m. He died peacefully on his way to the hospital. His family ask that I inform his friends.

I never met Bill but I believe some of our CC posters sailed with him on Seabourn last winter in the Caribbean.

Sooo sad~~~my deepest sympathy to his family.

Martita

I've been away from the boards for awhile and was shocked to see the BB has passed away.

I loved his postings and humor and did get the opportunity to meet him briefly in St. Martin as he was finishing his Legend cruise and I was starting my very first Seabourn cruise.

Jackie

I just wanted to add a comment. When a tragedy happens it sometimes reminds us not to let the little things in life bother us and at least for me and my wife it's all about looking at the 8 oz. glass that is filled with 4 ounces of liquid as half full rather than half empty.

Sometimes, I read on the various cruise boards board about negatives that folks have about a cruise. And, in the end, I truly believe that we are so very fortunate to be able to cruise, those of us who have cruised on Seabourn and/or other luxury lines are very fortunate to be able to not only cruise but to cruise on a luxury line and because of all of this that we should focus on all of the positives about the cruise and not dwell on the little things that either we can't control or that are small relative to the overall cruise. And finally, the passing of another person is a reminder to not put off till tomorrow those things that we want to do in life. Sometimes, people will say, oh we'll go on this cruise in a few years or we have plenty of time to see this or that. But, I've learned over the years to not put these things off to the future because one never knows what the future holds in store for them.

Just something to think about.

Keith

Keith,

Thank you for your comments~~we all need to remember my Mother's adage, "later doesn't come for everybody!"

As I've lost good friends this past year I am trying to focus on enjoying every single day~~and no, none of us know what "tomorrow will bring." Example, our Deborah Natansohn. So young to pass with

yet, so many plans/goals to reach.

Hope all is well with you and Missy Keith :p

Martita

Just returned from our Spirit cruise and read the sad news about Blackbird. I'm very sad about his passing and I offer my sympathy to all his family and friends. I noticed he died at a very young age, just a little older than I am.

Thank you Blackbird for teaching me how to add a photo to this board.

This little photo is for you.

450401248_GoodbyeNelson!.jpg.150d123931f8dbe0623cc313492b0203.jpg

Archived