Reversing Falls Park Questions

We will be there in September and would like to go to the park independently. If we get a cab or take public transportation, exactly how far will we have to walk to see anything? Is the park really large with a lot of walking involved? DH is having some back problems and miles of walking probably isn't a good idea right now.

It took us 10 minutes to walk to the public bus ($2.00 US 2.25 CAN) and they dropped us off at the entrance to the falls (which aren't really falls..I'll post pictures Tuesday when I'm home from vacation..they came out great!). Some of us walked back along a great path..others took the bus back and met us at the museum right near where we got the bus. We had a couple people with problems that made waling difficult as well, but this was very close.

We will be there in September and would like to go to the park independently. If we get a cab or take public transportation, exactly how far will we have to walk to see anything? Is the park really large with a lot of walking involved? DH is having some back problems and miles of walking probably isn't a good idea right now.

Reversing Falls is not located in a park - its just along side the road and very little walking involved. If you take the bus you just have to cross the road to it. A can will run you about $8 for 2 people each way.

As a local I have to say its not a "must see" attraction, and your short time in port may be better spent on other more interesting things.

quote=Acey

As a local I have to say its not a "must see" attraction, and your short time in port may be better spent on other more interesting things.

What would you suggest?

- exploring historic Trinity Royal neighborhood, which is where the ship docks - rich in history and architecture.

- Old Saint John City Market

To appreciate the Reversing Falls, you really need to go twice to see it flowing in the opposite direction. It's not like a typical falls, where the water falls way down. Most of the time it just looks like swirling/churning water. I think its over rated myself, but others seem to like it.

I did a Google on reversing falls Alaska and look where I ended up!!

We're on a Celebrity ship next month and DW asked me about this. Can someone tell me from which port you'd see them from? Also from what I've read some think it's not really worthwhile - any more input?

I did a Google on reversing falls Alaska and look where I ended up!!

We're on a Celebrity ship next month and DW asked me about this. Can someone tell me from which port you'd see them from? Also from what I've read some think it's not really worthwhile - any more input?

The Reversing Falls are located in Saint John, New Brunswick, at the mouth of the St. John River, where it flows into Saint John Harbour.

I agree with Acey that you should skip the falls. To appreciate the phenomenon of the "reversing" falls, you really have to spend a few hours there. Otherwise it will look like most other river waterways!

I agree that the historical buildings and the markets are more interesting. Also, and just my 2 cents as a guy with a bad back, a mile or two walk is EXACTLY what your husband needs to rehab that back! :)

Also, and just my 2 cents as a guy with a bad back, a mile or two walk is EXACTLY what your husband needs to rehab that back! :)

Oh how I wish that was the case. We just returned from a 3 day trip to Niagara Falls and he had a terrible time walking any distance. He has a herniated disc that is compressed and requires surgery. He's trying to get past this cruise and a family trip we have planned in Ocotber before he has the surgery.

Usually, we like to go off on our own and see what the locals recommend, but this time, I think we will have to stick with the ship tours.

In the past the market has been opened up for cruise ships on a Sunday, so you may be in luck - but I'm not 100% sure as that was last year. What is the date you are arriving? - maybe I could find out for you.

We took the Photo Tour through Carnival and were able to see the falls twice. Also, spent some time at the market.

Hi Cruisetmc, Woud you recommend the photo tour? Did you get a lot of good photos as a result of the tour? Did you still have time to do other things on your own? I'm on the September 22 Victory sailing and am considering this excursion. Thanks for any info.

Are there any unusual mansions to go through? What are the historical buildings that were mentioned? What is so unusual about this market? Is it like Pikes Market in Seattle?

The South End and Uptown areas of Saint John near the cruise dock are the original part of the city, which is either the oldest or second oldest city in Canada--can never remember if that honour goes to Saint John or St. John's. If you are inclined to wander about, you will find the old homes and businesses are very interesting and unique. People who own "mansions" tend to live in them and they are not open to the public. Some of the very large older homes are now operated as bed and breakfasts and the owners sometimes enjoy showing them off.

The City Market is hard to explain---it is a place where locals meet their friends and sit down in one of the little eateries tucked into a corner. It is impossible to walk through and not meet someone you know. It is a place to visit an old fashioned butcher shop and pick up a great steak. The produce there is second to none. It is by no means a "flea market" The goods sold there are new and good quality. You can buy anything from a china cup and saucer to a tablecloth, sweatshirts, home baked goodies, wonderful homemade jams and jellies. Saint John is a place where strangers still greet each other on the street and this is very evident in the market. Strike up a conversation with anyone and you will find them very friendly. Some of the market businesses have been in the same family for generations.

The market is very busy at noon hour during the week as that is where so many of the business people congregate to talk with their contemporaries.

If we didn't have the market Saint John would have no heartbeat.

Archived