Rome to NY connection times

Is 1 1/2 hr enough connection time in New York coming home from Rome? We are flying Continental. We are flying Continental all the way thru. Will I have to claim our bags in NY for customs or will we do it at our final destination (Houston)?

Of course the airlines think it is enough time but what do y'all think?

Thanks

Will I have to claim our bags in NY for customs or will we do it at our final destination (Houston)?

After you go through passport control, you'll have to claim your bags and then go through ANOTHER line at customs. Then you'll recheck your bags with Continental and run like a maniac to the gate!

You might want to check whether there are later flights that day from NY to Houston, just to be sure!

On Alitalia/Delta we had our bags checked through. We had been told we'd have to pick them up, but we didn't, so maybe that is just hit or miss. Others on our second flight also had their back checked through from international destinations. I'd check with the airline for their policy.

Another piece of advice is to sit as far forward in the plane as possible. We were close to the front, and the passport control line got really long behind us from the rest of our flight. Sitting in row 20 on a 40+ row plane, and not having to pick up bags, we were sitting at the gate for our next flight in another terminal less than an hour after landing.

Archived