Atlantis Sub

saraisarai

I did it and wasnt impressed at all.. but then I didnt like it off Grand Cayman either.Ive done it in 3 ports,and keep thinking one time its going to be worth it,but so far,not for me. Dot

A couple of pages back I responded on this topic regarding these submarines:

Let the tour operators get a picture of you and your loved ones before you board--they do a very good job and have your picture ready for you when you return. Nice souvenir, and pretty cheap for the quality!

Our Atlantis Submarine dive was in 2003, in St. Thomas, USVI. That of course is far to the East of both Grand Cayman and Cozumel. You will see stuff. Perhaps the water will be deeper near Cozumel, but I'll bet it doesn't much matter where you choose to dive. It is an experience and it is amusing. It is incredibly claustrophobic, so that although we enjoyed doing it once, we have not elected to do it again. The only person who in my opinion has enough space to take a deep breath is the person steering the craft, a/k/a "Captain."

The view is good and the disposable cameras they sell cheaply on board with ASA 800 color film will get you some adequate pictures if you don't already have for example a digital camera which will adjust to the slender lighting conditions. Turn OFF your flash, as it will just bounce against the glass and spoil your picture, and the pictures perhaps of four people around you. None of your light will make it through the glass anyway. As well as blinding everyone in the submarine.

It is best if you are in love with the persons to your left and to your right, because you WILL become acquainted with them. "Tight packer." The worst point, though, is the ingress and egress--if you can make it through that tiny hatch and down that tiny ladder, you will probably survive to brag about your experience.

If the submarine loses power it will bob up to the surface: it has "positive buoyancy"--when operating, it has to be driven down by its electric motors below the surface--and in that unlikely event, you will be "rescued" by the submarine's dedicated tender, a surface craft which remains a few feet away, so that is not anything to worry about. You won't have to worry about "smooth sailing"--there is not a jiggle!

It was fun once, but I would certainly recommend--after the first time--if you do catch the "undersea bug"--that you invest your money in snorkeling or SCUBA gear instead. ;)

P1080089.jpg.a97cd0234d3bacc367fc55dd5e82b0dd.jpg

I actually did the one in Cozumel after the Hurricane hit..and to me,it was the best one but not for seeing fish or coral..but for what all was under the water from the hurricane! Chairs..street signs..anything that you can imagine that the hurricane blew down. Also,to see such damage done to those huge chunks of steel and rebar that was once that brand new Carnival Pier! It was sad for Cozumel,but an interesting sub ride...but I would not do it again...anywhere! Enjoy if you do it! They have a semi sub that is actually better than the Atlantis IMO..you can get out and snorkle or help feed the fish while others stay in and enjoy the fish you are attracting. Dot

It was okay but being a diver I would rather be outside in the water than in the sub. It does get up close to the coral formations where you can see the sealife. The sub does go down to about 105 feet right at the edge of the wall into the channel. We did see a couple of sharks and one HUGE grouper.

Dave

Husband and I did the Atlantis in St. Thomas many years ago. It was fabulous. I had my own approx. 28" porthole, fish and coral ID cards. I loved it and was ready to sign up for scuba diving classes until that huge shark swam by my window, and I was glad to be inside a million dollar sub! Now we would like to take grown up daughter but we are thinking about Grand Cayman Atlantis rather than Cozumel's.

Me and my then 8 year old daughter did the Atlantis Sub in August of 2003 and really enjoyed the trip. It's one of our all time favorite shore excursions. To be honest I don’t remember too many fish although we did see one or two stingrays and a small sea turtle but the neatest part of the whole thing for us was just being in an actual submarine. We were very comfortable and didn’t feel too close to our neighbors at all. Attached is a picture of my daughter with the Captain.

DSC01240.jpg.d796063facc6efa307bd6a421e49fe69.jpg

Archived