First timer need help

:o ok so i leave saturday for my first cruise and just wondering a little bit about tipping! i know they automatically add the gratuity to your bill that you pay at the end of the trip, but do i need to tip more..... and are there other people that i tip too? like the people who takes my bags? and how much do i tip!!!! sorry if this sounds completely ignorant but i am not familiar with this stuff....... and do i have to have my bags checked or cani just take them myself..... its just that i have heard bad stories about people who end up never getting their luggage or getting it and half of it missing!!!!

:o ok so i leave saturday for my first cruise and just wondering a little bit about tipping! i know they automatically add the gratuity to your bill that you pay at the end of the trip, but do i need to tip more..... and are there other people that i tip too? like the people who takes my bags? and how much do i tip!!!! sorry if this sounds completely ignorant but i am not familiar with this stuff....... and do i have to have my bags checked or cani just take them myself..... its just that i have heard bad stories about people who end up never getting their luggage or getting it and half of it missing!!!!

They do not automatically add the tips, you need to go to the purser's desk the first couple of days and request it.

As far as tipping in general, you tip your room steward, waiter, assistant waiter and sometimes head waiter (he/she is included in the auto tipping)

Definitely tip the porter at the terminal, we usually give about 5$ for two bags. In order to carry on the bags have to fit through the scanner which is about the same size as the ones at the airports.

LOCK YOUR LUGGAGE, if you are flying get the TSA approved locks at Walmart, Target, etc. As far as not getting your bags, see tipping porter above

The lost luggage stories more often involve them never making it from the airport; not them getting lost at the pier.

There is no need to tip more than the $10 per day, per person recommended by the cruise line. If I feel somebody did such a great job and went above & beyond what was expected, I may give them in extra $10 to $20.

If you do shore excursions, bring along some cash to tip the guide(s) if they do a nice job (I generally give $2 to $10 depending on how much I liked them/how much effort they put into it).

Have a great cruise! It is a great way to vacation. :)

We also were very concerned about tipping on our first cruise last year, especially after I found out that the majority of income your cabin stewards & wait staf make, is from your tips.

This time around, we added prepaid tips to our cruise total and just paid it off. We still plan on taking a few extra $$$ to tip anyone that we feel gives us exceptional service. Being in a wheelchair, I know some will have to give me assistance they would not have to for other guests.

We plan to tip the ship porters $20, and will bring about $50 in one's onboard with us....we also found the ships employees enjoy it when we tip in silver or gold dollar coins (ask the teller at your bank to save a few for you), it's something a bit different they do not normally get.

Room service, we plan to tip about $5 usually...more if it arrives quickly, etc.

The lost luggage stories more often involve them never making it from the airport; not them getting lost at the pier.
AH......one of my all-time favorite threads on CC was about someone whose suitcase ended up in the WATER between porter and ship. :eek:

Archived