Mini Suite Room Service Question

Jen515

I am trying to decide between a balcony and a mini suite on the Dawn in Feb. Do the mini suites get the full in room breakfast menu? On the Suites and Villas website under "Suites" it appears that they do, but I wanted to check. Thank you!

And there are rumors that the mini suites will lose their conceirge service soon. Mini suites do provide for a longer cabin with a bath tub, plus the curtain that separates the couch area from the bed area on the Star class ships.

I remember reading a post where poster, Shoreguy, I think it was ,took a count of the number of mini suites on the larger NCL ships, like Star, Dawn, Jewel, Pearl. I was a large number especially on the Jewel and Pearl where the multi deck atrium has been done away with to make room for more cabins, some being mini suites.

I believe he also attributed the loss of concierge service in mini suites to the Latitudes buy into gold or silver status program. With that program any cruiser, even on a first cruise, can make a large down payment and become a Lattitudes silver or gold, (maybe even Platinum, I'm not sure) With silver or gold you get use of the services of the Concierge no matter where or what cabin you booked. This stretches the services of the poor overworked Concierge even farther.

I remember reading a post where poster, Shoreguy, I think it was ,took a count of the number of mini suites on the larger NCL ships, like Star, Dawn, Jewel, Pearl. I was a large number especially on the Jewel and Pearl where the multi deck atrium has been done away with to make room for more cabins, some being mini suites.

I believe he also attributed the loss of concierge service in mini suites to the Latitudes buy into gold or silver status program. With that program any cruiser, even on a first cruise, can make a large down payment and become a Lattitudes silver or gold, (maybe even Platinum, I'm not sure) With silver or gold you get use of the services of the Concierge no matter where or what cabin you booked. This stretches the services of the poor overworked Concierge even farther.

wait- i thought it was speculation! is it already in effect? no more concierge for cruises this summer?

Truly, they made it sound like I was really dumb not to know there was no concierge or other perks in the minis! The attitude was a bit off putting...another poster (wish I could remember who...) made it known to me that "if I had read about the mini suites on the NCL website, I would have KNOWN that there were no perks":rolleyes: True I never did read anything about it...just was going by past cruisers info on the Star. Sorry not to have better news about it.

Truly, they made it sound like I was really dumb not to know there was no concierge or other perks in the minis! The attitude was a bit off putting...another poster (wish I could remember who...) made it known to me that "if I had read about the mini suites on the NCL website, I would have KNOWN that there were no perks":rolleyes: True I never did read anything about it...just was going by past cruisers info on the Star. Sorry not to have better news about it.

dont worry! ncl fanatics sometimes forget that ncl's website and info via phone or otherwise is the most misleading in the business.

Actually,I don't know for sure that NCL has put the no Concierge mini suite policy in effect yet. I am only really what I had read on a post awhile ago.

We were told on our June 17th cruise on the Pearl that effective the first of the year (2008) that there would be no concierge service in mini-suites.

Ok, here's a twist. We have a mini-suite booked on the Pearl, and my parents have the connecting AF Penthouse. I fully expect all the services to be given to us as if we were one big room, since most of the time we will be.

I guess if they are sticklers about the room service, I can just have it delivered next door, but that seems rather silly.

I know that on the Majesty, we were in a cheap cabin but my parent's suite concierge extended her services to all members of the family. Hopefully, the same applies on the Pearl.

Ok, How about an answer to this one. We will be on a 14 day NCL Jewel sailing on Dec. 21. I booked a minisuite, rather than a regular balcony cabin, thinking I would have use of the concierge. Would I have the concierge perk for the first part of the cruise, and then lose the service, the last few days? Has anyone recently been on the Jewel in a mini suite and made use of the concierge? Anita

Would I have the concierge perk for the first part of the cruise, and then lose the service, the last few days?

No, they would make it effective with cruises leaving as of the effective date.

Believe it or not, we sort of bonded with the concierge we had. It would be really awkward to lose service in the middle of the cruise.

Thanks, Katy! Made me feel better. I actually hadn't posted since...but you are right the info is very difficult to find, even if it exists! LOL!

Salty, I would imagine you guys will be fine! We have had a Royal Suite on Celebrity with our parents across the hall...the butler was super thoughtful and of course we tipped accordingly!

I'm with KatyR here. Just ignore nastiness or rude comments. True, we can all research to find out this or that, but the fact is that information is sometimes hard to find (especially on the new NCL website):( and what's out there isn't always completely accurate.

I've heard (just heard, don't know) that it is going into effect at the first of the year that the minis will no longer have concierge service. I do know that they don't have the expanded room service menu, in-suite dining options, butler, or any of the VIP perks.

Try not to let rude comments get to you. You are not stupid just because you don't know everything there is to know! Really, do some people think they know everything in the world? Please. We're all learning new things all the time.

I wish you great cruises, concierge or not.:D

beachchick

Ok, here's a twist. We have a mini-suite booked on the Pearl, and my parents have the connecting AF Penthouse. I fully expect all the services to be given to us as if we were one big room, since most of the time we will be.

I guess if they are sticklers about the room service, I can just have it delivered next door, but that seems rather silly.

I know that on the Majesty, we were in a cheap cabin but my parent's suite concierge extended her services to all members of the family. Hopefully, the same applies on the Pearl.

Could you clarify what category your parents have? If it's a full penthouse, then they will have the butler, etc. However, NCL doesn't consider it "one big room." You will be able to board in the suite line with your parents; you will be able to have VIP tender tix (if your ship has a tender port); your parents will be able to have the concierge make reservations at the specialty restaurants for all of you; you will be able to share in-suite dining (in their suite); you will be able to order the suite room service, but only through their suite not your cabin. You will not be invited to the captains VIP cocktail party (but if you're a minor, they might allow your parents to bring you); you will not be allowed to dine in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch (if that's a perk for full suites on the Pearl as it is for some of the ships) because they have a list of suite and VIP pax and only allow those pax into the special area for breakfast and lunch, and guests are not allowed even if they are family members (but again, if you're a minor, it's possible that they might allow it); you will not have a butler or concierge coming to your cabin and giving you the full suite services, they'll only service your parents' suite.

I know you "fully expect" to get all the suite perks in your cabin, but that's not the way it works. Those in suites have paid for the special perks. Naturally, you want everything, but the perks go with your parents' suite, not your cabin. You will be able to take advantage of some things, but not everything. Nowhere on any NCL information does it say that connecting non-suites have the full benefits of the suite next door. I think it's nice that they allow as many cross-over privileges as they do. It was nice that the concierge on Majesty (a ship with many fewer suites/mini-suites) extended services to the whole family. However, that also means that other suite/mini-suite guests had to wait longer for service that they paid for because your family members were taking the concierge's time and efforts. If you were the suite pax having to wait extra time or not getting services that you paid for because the concierge or butler was off helping a bunch of non-suite pax (family or not), you'd be annoyed...or at least, I expect you would be. I know I would be annoyed. I would not expect a concierge or butler to give me suite privileges if I wasn't actually in a suite.

I hope you have a lovely cruise and enjoy your parents' wonderful suite.

beachchick

Ok, here's a twist. We have a mini-suite booked on the Pearl, and my parents have the connecting AF Penthouse.

Do you mean AB Penthouse? The AF is a mini-suite.

Yes, my bad. I meant we have the AF and my parents are in the connecting AB.

Thanks Beachchick for your sweet post! Normally I don't take offense, but that really caught me off guard! I actually wondered if it was the "evil" concierge we had spoken to on board posting here! LOL!

Your last post made a lot of sense and was very well written.

Question...are there specialty restaurants available to suite guests for breakfast on the Star like on the Pearl? That would be great!

Salty, hope you have a great time! I love having the whole family together cruising, though it doesn't seem to happen for us anymore:o. Enjoy! Ah the good old days!:cool:

Thanks Beachchick for your sweet post! Normally I don't take offense, but that really caught me off guard! I actually wondered if it was the "evil" concierge we had spoken to on board posting here! LOL!

Your last post made a lot of sense and was very well written.

Question...are there specialty restaurants available to suite guests for breakfast on the Star like on the Pearl? That would be great!

Salty, hope you have a great time! I love having the whole family together cruising, though it doesn't seem to happen for us anymore:o. Enjoy! Ah the good old days!:cool:

I'm glad my post gave you a little lift. (Who knows. Maybe it was that nasty concierge!)

The only specialty restaurant that suite pax (that's full suites only, not mini-suites) have available for breakfast and lunch dining (set hours) is a private side-room of Cagney's. It's not the whole restaurant and none of the other restaurants are included. There is a special menu for breakfast and lunch, and there are set hours. You do not need a reservation, but you do have to go to the concierge lounge (that's the Star Bar at night) and check in.

I don't know if Cagney's is available for breakfast and lunch for suite pax on the Star. In any case, it is only for full suites and would not include mini-suites. NCL special VIPs (like high level Latitudes members) also have access to the Cagney's for breakfast and lunch.

beachchick

We're booked in an AB, so I'll check when we get on (IF we get on....final payment is Sept. 2nd and we'll know for sure if we can make it by then!).

Thanks!

Cool! An AB is so awesome. I will be sending good vibes and thoughts your way that everything works out for your cruise (and life in general too, of course). I'll ask my mom about the Star and Cagney's breakfast/lunch. She cruised on Star with friends last year. They were in an AE, so that would definitely qualify (assuming that it is a perk on Star). They all had a great cruise.

I really hope it is available because you would love it (at least, I think you would). The breakfast menu on PoH was fabulous--Crab cakes benedict made with the fresh and wonderful Cagney's crab cakes, not the "bulk" crab cakes served in the buffet; poached eggs in a rich seafood and tomato "thing" (it had lobster--big hunks of fresh steamed lobster, plus crab, shrimp, and fresh fish); sweet berries with sabayon; French toast with bananas, nuts, and real maple syrup or with fresh berries and cream or with both. Yum. I could go on, but I'm drooling now and don't want to mess up my keyboard.:p Lunch was good too--Steak sandwiches; yummy salads and soup; fresh fish; fruit-filled desserts. Oops, there I go again with the whole drooling thing.

I hope you have the time of your lives! Bon appetit "and all that jazz".:D

beachchick

Archived