Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer-catamaran excursion

DALLIEDOG

When are you going? We have this excursion booked for the cruise leaving on 6/06. If you are going after us, I would be glad to give you information after we return.

NCL Sun 06/04

NCL Sea 01/04

I got to go on this excursion, on wednesday May 12th. It was an incredibly pretty day.

All blue sky, not a cloud.

We left from a pier next to the cruise ship at 1:21 and our passengers got back on their ship at 6:34.

We saw good views of Bald Eagles, Harbor seals, Mountain Goats (rare to see them that close & that good!), and brief views of Dall Porpoise.

I was surprised that we did'nt see a Black Bear and wonder if the bright sunshine played a role in this or if we just missed them.

We got close up next to a dramatic plunging waterfall (40 feet away) and stayed there for photographs, for about 15 minutes.

We then went to the North Sawyer Glacier and got to our normal viewing distance of 1200 feet away. We stayed there for 20-25 minutes and then went to South Sawyer Glacier. On the way to South Sawyer is where we saw great views of Seals & Mtn Goats. Ice was somewhat heavy but we did get to our normal viewing area of 1200 feet away. We stayed there for 45 minutes.

The South Sawyer Glacier was incredibly active that day and we saw 12 major calvings, two of which were in the 'top 10' that I have ever seen there.

The ship radio'd us that it was time to go back out away from the glacier face, to the area they would stop and view from (6400 feet from glacier face). We then transferred our passengers back onboard their ship.

It was a great day and everyone seemed to thoroughly enjoy themselves.

I know I sure did.

Hope this helps ...

Thanks for your great post. Now if you can just order up a bear sighting for my daughter ...

Our of curiosity, was the cruise ship able to do it's tour of Sawyer Glacier that day? I know someone posted earlier that the first week it was cancelled due to heavy ice. Just wondered if they made it this week. If the ship is unable to get to the glacier, does it also cancel this tour?

NCL Sun 06/04

NCL Sea 01/04

Does anyone know whether this tour is being offered on Norwegian Spirit? I can't find anything that says it is not, but with this ship being new to Alaska, there is not a lot of information.

Cheri

There are a couple of mentions about this excursion on the NCL board if you haven't seen them. Sounds like everyone is enjoying it.

Just over a week for me before I'll be on this excursion! icon_biggrin.gif

NCL Sun 06/04

NCL Sea 01/04

Archived