Royal Carib Beach Day in Corfu

Has anyone done this excursion with Royal Caribbean? Is it in a good location(Resort Hotel)? The info says that it is 4.5 hours. It is only $38 per person. Is there still time for some sightseeing or shopping? What is there to see in Corfu for two families with 3 teenage girls? We are on the 8/18 Spendour going to Dubrovnik, Corfu, Kudasi and Santorini and we thought Corfu may be our one "beach day." Will it be a good choice? Could we get to the beach on our own or only through hotels?

I was on Brilliance of the Seas a few years ago and took a Royal Caribbean Beach Day excursion in Corfu. We went to a lovely hotel and spent the day on the beach. We really needed a beach day by the time we got to Corfu! It was nice to just spend a day relaxing. I don't remember the name of the hotel but we had use of their beach and pool and the grounds were nice.

Lynn

Thank you.

The excursion is called "Dassia Hotel Package." It says you spend the day at the Dassia Chandris Hotel with chairs an umbrella and 1 soft drink for $38 per person. It is the two of us and our 17 year old daughter. We are trying to decide between this excursion or renting a car and driving to the beach on our own becaus we wanted to sightsee a little. Do you remember if you had time to shop or sightsee.

Thanks again!

I'm pretty sure this is the same hotel we visited in Corfu. We had a very nice and relaxing day in the middle of a port intensive cruise. We didn't do any sightseeing here or shopping (which is very unusual for me). The hotel did have a small shop and I bought a few souvenirs. I seem to remember people saying it was easy to rent a car here but I'm not sure. Have a wonderful cruise. The Mediterranean is one of my favorite places and I wish I was going again!

Lynn

The hotel that the ship takes you to is a rocky beach. We got a cab to Glyfada Beach which is a nice sandy blue flag beach.We negotiated a rate for a return trip.There are chairs to rent and beach tavernas to grab lunch. The taxi driver dropped us off and was waiting for us at the agreed time to go back to the ship.We paid for cab when we got back to the ship.

We chose to do this excursion because we felt our kids needed the break and we did too. :) The beach is rocky, but the hotel grounds and pool are nice.

The ocean is clean and sandy once you walk out . There is a great boat excrusion pier right in front. Our 3 families took advantage of this and went out tubing with Costa (the owner). We had a blast! We had talked to other seasoned cruisers and yes, there are sandy beaches elsewhere, however, no water sports at these locales. If you do decide to cab it on your own, we were told to negotiate a return rate and not to pay the drive until AFTER he picks you up at your designated return time. Good Luck.

Thank you.

We know we will definately need a break by this point. We are two families with three teenage girls (17 & 16) traveling with us and they probably will be tired of ruins by this point. The excursion sounds llike it would be the simplest thing to do. Did may people from the ship do it? If the girls make some friends on the cruise they probably will enjoy being at the beach together. How easy was it to get an umbrella or be in the shade? The two dads hate the sun!

Just got off the BOS a week ago and for Corfu we did not go with the RCCL package. Firstly that package was for 4.5 hours which 1hr was driving back and forth. Secondly for btwn 80-100 euros you can get a drop off and return from a taxi to the opposite side of the island. The beach is called glyfada and is located on the west side of the island. IT is surrounded by a large hill and very scenic. It may be more worth it for you to go with this package especially if there are more people. I also know that if you pay a little more the taxi will actually stay in the town and wait for you to leave.

Thank you.

We know we will definately need a break by this point. We are two families with three teenage girls (17 & 16) traveling with us and they probably will be tired of ruins by this point. The excursion sounds llike it would be the simplest thing to do. Did may people from the ship do it? If the girls make some friends on the cruise they probably will enjoy being at the beach together. How easy was it to get an umbrella or be in the shade? The two dads hate the sun!

....to add there are a few beach houses which you can go to. I believe we payed 2.50 for a chair and the umbrella was 2.00 each if you want it. It is sand not rocks. The drinks are cheap ;).....

....The only reservation i had was that there is no taxi stand at this area. You have to ensure that the taxi returns to pick you up. Dont pay the full amount until he returns to pick you up.

First of all this only my opinion. I have stayed at the Dassia Chandris which is also right next to the Corfu Chandris. Both hotels are excellent hotels but yes the Dassia beach is rocky and not to my liking. The best beaches are in the North of the Island i.ei Sidari and Acharavi my chioce is Sidari which is also in a nice town. Also in the South you have Benetsis and Kavos which are very busy with the younger generation. Kavos is definately for the young. If I were in Corfu for the day with two teenagers I would hire a car and go to Sidari which is also a beautuful part of Corfu. Glyfada http://www.corfu-pictures.com/glyfada.htm is a beatiful beach also, and there is a lovely hotel right on the beach but a bit remote and when we were there did not have much in the way of shopping round about it. Hotel Aghios Gordios, is again very remote but there is an excellent hotel there and the views from the top of the hill on the way down to the beach are stunning. Corfu is not a very large Island and can easily be covered in a day by car. The main tourist beach and at the time I was there a few years ago and featured in many of the postcards of Corfu is Paleokastritsa, although I was not too impressed with this one. I am sure you can have a lovely day out on whatever beach you choose as Corfu has some wonderful beaches

Wow! Thank you all! We are seven alltogether and we got a quote from Sunrise car rental for E125 total (all taxes, insurance) with pick up at the port for a 7 passenger van. Sounds like the best may be for us to rent the van and see a few of these beaches and some sights along the way! Thanks for all the great information--it was just what I was looking for!

Archived