Juneau Mendenhall Lake Canoe and Salmon Bake

tkwbear

Has anyone tried this tour? I have been warned off of the float trip, so I am looking for something else.

We did the Ketchikan canoe trip a few years ago, and liked it, but it's overpriced. How does this one compare?

We did the Mendenhall Lake Canoe Adventure, but it didn't include a salmon bake -- just some salmon and other snacks with hot apple cider. Even without a salmon bake, it was a great excursion and I'd do it again. You get much closer to the glacier than you can by only going to the visitor's center. We paddled awhile, got out to take some photos by the huge waterfall, walked around, and paddled back. A very enjoyable excursion.

We had a 9 year old and a 12 year old in our canoe, and not everyone paddled. You can be as active as you want. It was a leisurely trip and the guide talked the whole time (Betsy, I think -- she was great). Once or twice when we veered off course she had all of us stop paddling and she took over. My husband thinks we traveled about 3 miles r/t. If you got tired, you just stopped. It was a 12 person canoe. I think your 8 year old would love it.

We took our very small digital camera and had no problems. I kept it in the inside pocket of a waterproof jacket. Also, they outfit you (even the kids)with boots and another waterproof outfit - think "Michelin Man". We had nice weather and the lake was very calm. A couple people took backpacks, although there isn't a great deal of room under your feet for something very big.

Thanks for your help, We have changed plans are we are signed up for the canoe now. My daughter saw those pictures and she is jazzed. The only bad is that they only have 1 time for us and that is from 4:00 - 7:30 (we don't get in till noon, but leave at 10:00). Now I just have to hope for decent weather!

I totally agree with Suzanne- cameras are fine (although I did take my older digital camera instead of thenew one, just in case,) kids will be fine, and definitely bring a snack along! There were only three of us in the twelve man canoe, so I think we probably worked a little harder than we would have if there were twelve adults, but since none of us was in a hurry, and our guide *loved* being out on the water and didn't care what time we made it back, our 3 hour adventure ended up being closer to four hours long. We stopped and relaxed every once in a while.

I was worried about the expense, but it was worth every penny, and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Some of our canoe trip pictures are here:

http://alaska2004.blogdrive.com/archive/cm-8_cy-2004_m-8_d-22_y-2004_o-6.html

clopaw- no offense taken. :D I had no idea that they were going to give us pants and jackets to wear! The pants were sized in S, M, L, and XL. The XL were fine. I think they're cut large because they're meant to go over your regular clothes. I don't think they had anything larger than XL, but I didn't bother to look since those fit. Knowing me, I would probably have brought my own set if I had known that we'd have to wear them!

Now the jacket and the life preserver- sheesh! They both fit, but whoever described that outfit as the Michelin Tire Man was right! We were laughing about feeling like we were in space suits! The whole get up was uncomfortable at first, but luckily we all looked silly! I mean, you're already wearing several layers of your own clothes, and then you have to add more!

The boots were the worst. I put the pants and the jacket and life preserver on first, and then I couldn't get the big bulky boots over my tennis shoes! :eek: After laughing at me (or as he says, laughing *with* me) my husband helped me get them on. He was smart and put his boots on *before* he put the jacket and vest on!

I can see me now...not able to bend my arms to paddle. :D The excursion sounds like a lot of fun. I have been looking for something to do that did not involve a helicopter. I think my fear would outweigh the fun on a helicopter excursion.

Your pictures and narrative were so great. I really enjoy reading someone's thoughts in addition to seeing the pictures. We go next May, and I am already obsessing about what we do where. :rolleyes:

Archived