Ordering liquor for cabin

Old Broad

Does any one know the where to order liquor to be delivered to our cabin? We love a drink on the veranda before dinner.

Here is the link to the X website (good for Azamara)

http://www.celebritycruises.com/shopceleb/giftList.do?pagename=celebration_packages

I pre-ordered a bottle of Myers rum. A 1 liter bottle was delivered to my room on sailaway day along with a six pack of 7-up, oops Sprite (you pick the soda). Enjoy your cruise.

If the link does not work go to the X website and click on "plan a cruise" (at top of page), when that page loads look at the bottem of the left margin and click on "gifts", at the next page click on "bon voyage gifts" and then on "celebration packages" then scroll to the bottom. X makes you work alot to give them money in this case!

Does any one know the where to order liquor to be delivered to our cabin? We love a drink on the veranda before dinner.

The "gift packages" offered by X to which Cruisingdelt has kindly provided a link a few posts above (thank you very much) is a very nice service albeit VERY, VERY pricey. Even using the one-liter size and factoring in the value of the soda and nuts (I estimate about $ 3) the cost of these packages is 2.5 to seven times what one would pay at a discount liquor store in Florida. (For gin drinkers (like me) Tanqueray appears to be the best value on X's list).

Having said that, it is still less expensive (and more convenient in some ways, e.g. no waiting, mixed exactly to your taste, etc) then buying individual drinks from room service.

Yes, I know it would be still cheaper to "smuggle" your own potables aboard - a subject which has been widely discussed elsewhere on these boards. However if, for whatever reason, this tactic is not for you, the

purchase of a gift package, IMHO, is the way to go.

I only wish X offered a little flexibility in the composition of the packages.

I would be happy to give up the six-pack of Schweeps and the can of nuts for a few hundred milliliters of M & R Dry Vermouth. Tonic water does not make for a very good martini.

I have seen mentions elsewhere in Cruise Critic of firms (not affiliated with the cruise lines) who will prepare and deliver bon voyage gifts. Has anyone had any recent experience dealing with them and, in particular, do their packages include spirits? Will X allow delivery of such a package to a passengers cabin? How are their prices?

John:)

I only wish X offered a little flexibility in the composition of the packages.

I would be happy to give up the six-pack of Schweeps and the can of nuts for a few hundred milliliters of M & R Dry Vermouth. Tonic water does not make for a very good martini.

A small medicine bottle of dry vermouth, which can even be brought on a plane, should be more than enough for a liter of gin:rolleyes: Happy sailing!

A small medicine bottle of dry vermouth, which can even be brought on a plane, should be more than enough for a liter of gin:rolleyes: Happy sailing!

Maybe in this case I will engage in a wee bit of smuggling - maybe two 3-ounce medicine bottles - I like my martinis dry, but not 10 to 1. 5 to 1 is more to my taste. Thanks for the suggestion.

Oceania doesn't care what you bring aboard--a very "adult" attitude & "smuggling" isn't even in the vocabulary. This is one issue where Azamara is still very much "mass market" and Celebrity (or more likely, their lawyers) really need to re-think their policies.

Oceania doesn't care what you bring aboard--a very "adult" attitude & "smuggling" isn't even in the vocabulary. This is one issue where Azamara is still very much "mass market" and Celebrity (or more likely, their lawyers) really need to re-think their policies.

Agreed! We are seriously exploring the possibility of a cruise in Europe in 2008. Oceania's policies on this issue is yet another factor which puts them at the top of our list of choices for that adventure. I believe their corkage fee is also quite reasonable vis a vis X's $25 a bottle!

I'm all for saving a few bucks, but I understand where the cruise line is coming from. If you bring your own bottle on board instead of buying one from the gift shop, they are losing around $40 per stateroom. If you buy from the bars on board, its probably a lot more they are losing.

The additional cost to the passenger who has to buy a bottle at the gift shop works out to around $5.50 a day. For two passengers, its $2.25 per day. Thats assuming you finish the bottle in seven days.

When you compare that to the cost of the cruise, its a pittance.

So I've rationalized spending the extra money and don't feel so bad. It also relieves me of the worry of smuggling a bottle on board.

I'm all for saving a few bucks, but I understand where the cruise line is coming from. If you bring your own bottle on board instead of buying one from the gift shop, they are losing around $40 per stateroom. If you buy from the bars on board, its probably a lot more they are losing.

The additional cost to the passenger who has to buy a bottle at the gift shop works out to around $5.50 a day. For two passengers, its $2.25 per day. Thats assuming you finish the bottle in seven days.

When you compare that to the cost of the cruise, its a pittance.

So I've rationalized spending the extra money and don't feel so bad. It also relieves me of the worry of smuggling a bottle on board.

Slight problem here with this logic ... if you purchase a bottle on board in the gift shop ... it will not be delivered to your room until the EVENING BEFORE DISEMBARKING. The duty free shop on board will not sell you a bottle to be consumed in your stateroom. So that leaves only two alternatives - order a bottle from room service and pay the price ... or get "sneaky" :eek: and bring it on board.

Martinis are exactly what I have in mind, so I agree it would be nice not to have to buy the tonic. But, more importantly, does anyone know if one can get olives from one of the bars. I had a horrible time getting anyone to part with a few olives on my last HAL cruise. If need be I'll take them from home, I guess.

Maybe in this case I will engage in a wee bit of smuggling - maybe two 3-ounce medicine bottles - I like my martinis dry, but not 10 to 1. 5 to 1 is more to my taste. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi John

Likewise re dry martinis.

The medicine bottles sound like a plan.

My hubby isn't much of a drinker, but we enjoy a vodka martini before dinner.:D

In '01 we sailed the R6 (now Journey). Back then, being new to cruising, I hadn't thought of bringing wine or liquor onboard.

However, we'd docked in Bordeaux for 2 days where I bought several

bottles of wine. As I recall the corkage fee was either $8 or $10.

We're looking fwd to the 10/31 cruise aboard Quest.

Laura

Am I missing something? I thought one could order a gift package and use it on the cruise?

Yes, you can. Please refer to earlier posts on this thread especially the one with a link to Celebrity's bon-voyage gift offerings. They are not cheap, but they represent a less expensive alternative to room service drinks.

But, more importantly, does anyone know if one can get olives from one of the bars. I had a horrible time getting anyone to part with a few olives on my last HAL cruise. If need be I'll take them from home, I guess.

We've often bought our own olives, cocktail onions, etc all carefully packed in mini-jars, inside of zip-lock bags and covered in bubble-wrap. If you're flying, you need to keep the containers to less than 3 ounces each if they are in your carry-ons.

We've also had occasion to obtain garnishments from one of the shipboard cocktail lounges (when we ran out of what we bought from home). That should not be an issue if the gin was purchased from the cruise line. A moderate cash tip to the bartender with your first request might also help.

Have a great cruise.

Archived