Whale Watching

ShamrockFL

Come on folks, surely someone out there has been on these tours on the east coast. I just found that there are some whale watching tours out of Nelson Bay which is about an hour north of Newcastle (which is about 2 hours north of Sydney). Let me hear from you - please. :D

From what I've read, the place to go whale watching in the area is around Hervey Bay. Can anyone recommend trips to do this closer to Brisbane, say Moreton Bay? Can you catch these tours out of Brisbane city?

Hi there

only last night saw a feature on a new whale watch tour out of Mooloolaba, about an hour and a bit north of Brisbane. Australia Zoo (owned by the Irwin family of the late Steve) have launched a boat taking tours out. I've also read there are a couple of boats going out from the Gold Coast but nothing from here (Brisbane). If you're arriving/departing on a ship from Bris you might be lucky and get some free whale watching from on deck.

Pete

Hi there only last night saw a feature on a new whale watch tour out of Mooloolaba, about an hour and a bit north of Brisbane. Australia Zoo (owned by the Irwin family of the late Steve) have launched a boat taking tours out. Pete

Thanks Pete. This is helpful, especially as we will be going to the zoo as well.

Also thanks Kaz, I posted on the P&O site and got some feedback there too.

From what I've read, the place to go whale watching in the area is around Hervey Bay. Can anyone recommend trips to do this closer to Brisbane, say Moreton Bay? Can you catch these tours out of Brisbane city?

For the VERY BEST Whale Watching in CALM waters Hervey Bay is THE PLACE! Can be reached by air(40 mins)or rail/coach/rental car from Brisbane. The Whales frolic in the Bay which is sheltered by Fraser Island...world heritage listed and the largest Sand Island in the world - a must to visit!

Enjoy "Down Under" Anna

My sister did the Nelson Bay whale watch tour a few years ago - I will let you know what she thought of it.

Thanks Colleen. That would be great to know. The web site I looked at wasn' too expensive - I think about $50. :) Whereas, one from Steve Iriwin's Zoo is $125! :( Let me know please.

Thanks also Anna. I would love to be able to get to Hervey, but time, expense and logistics just don't permit it. Frolicking whales would be phenomenal:D .

Thanks Colleen. That would be great to know. The web site I looked at wasn' too expensive - I think about $50. :) Whereas, one from Steve Iriwin's Zoo is $125! :( Let me know please.

Thanks also Anna. I would love to be able to get to Hervey, but time, expense and logistics just don't permit it. Frolicking whales would be phenomenal:D .

Whale Watching originated in Hervey Bay over 15 years ago. There are 12-15 operators. Some full day, 3/4 or half day tours...even sunrise ones. A number have underwater viewing. I have seen whales in Hawaii from the ship...no comparison to a close encounter! There are flights from Sydney to Hervey Bay 2-3 times a day. About 50 mins and $79 or $85....the Boat Harbour is just 8 minutes from the Airport and I'm sure transfers are arranged. Perhaps allow a day to visit Fraser Island before returning to Sydney - or heading for Brisbane? Hope this has helped. I've been out about 5 times and can't wait to go again. AWESOME! Anna :confused:

Come on folks, surely someone out there has been on these tours on the east coast. I just found that there are some whale watching tours out of Nelson Bay which is about an hour north of Newcastle (which is about 2 hours north of Sydney). Let me hear from you - please. :D

Before you become too excited about Whale Watching...sure they are here right now. They migrate from the Antarctic in June/July (Whale Watching commences July)..travel as far as The Whitsunday warm waters to calve then return to the Antarctic calling for a 3 day rest in Hervey Bay. The tours stop early November. Happy travelling. Anna (Bev) :confused:

Before you become too excited about Whale Watching...sure they are here right now. They migrate from the Antarctic in June/July (Whale Watching commences July)..travel as far as The Whitsunday warm waters to calve then return to the Antarctic calling for a 3 day rest in Hervey Bay. The tours stop early November. Happy travelling. Anna (Bev) :confused:

We'll be there from mid-September into October. Our possible whale watching time would be right at the end of September. Should be OK by the soujnd of things. I hadn't thought of the direction they were going or why, but by the sound of it they would then have their calves with them which would be cool. Though that could mean they would be more protective and not into frolics!

Hey - Collen, ever get your sister's input on Nelson Bay????

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay. I have been in hospital having my knee replaced and forgot to ask. I just phoned her and she said it was excellent. They went on a sailing boat whale watch tour. She said it was excellent as when near the whales they cut the motors and sailed which didn't disturb the whales. They went in July. She said it was just brilliant.

Sorry about the delay. I have been in hospital having my knee replaced and forgot to ask. I just phoned her and she said it was excellent. They went on a sailing boat whale watch tour. She said it was excellent as when near the whales they cut the motors and sailed which didn't disturb the whales. They went in July. She said it was just brilliant.

Thanks so much for checking and getting back to me, especially with what you have been going through. Best of luck with your new knee - hope it's coming along well.

Archived