Antarctica-Large Ship Question

LThom

Here's the bottom line.

You should expect rough seas as this is the area where two oceans meet.

If you end up with calm seas, on your trip, that's great but you just should be aware that there are higher odds for rough seas than on most voyages.

I say the same thing about a Northern trans-atlantic voyage from say London to NYC. Prepare for rough seas because you are likely to have one or two rough days at sea. If you don't, consider yourself fortunate.

On our two last trips around Cape Horn, the last one was relatively calm and the one before that was rough.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I am responding to a posting that is over 1 year ago and no one responded. Hopefully someone will this time. We are Booked on a HAL criuse, Dec 2008, and wondering how much cold weather clothing we will need on Deck. It is the Amsterdam. We are from the cold winter North East so we are accustomed to some cold. Experience with clothing requirements from any large ship will be appreciated.

I am responding to a posting that is over 1 year ago and no one responded. Hopefully someone will this time. We are Booked on a HAL criuse, Dec 2008, and wondering how much cold weather clothing we will need on Deck. It is the Amsterdam. We are from the cold winter North East so we are accustomed to some cold. Experience with clothing requirements from any large ship will be appreciated.

We were there in February. It was quite cold and windy on deck. We wore North Face Jackets, gloves and a hat on deck.

Keith

We were on the Infinity in january 2008 and it was very cold, especially on deck and waiting in line to get on the tender in Punta Arenas. You need to dress in layers and a windbreaker over all layers, as well as warm gloves, etc. We are from Montreal and used to cold weather but the wind was feezing in Ushuahia and Punta Arenas.

We were there in February. It was quite cold and windy on deck. We wore North Face Jackets, gloves and a hat on deck.

Keith

We were there in early December. I'd guess the temperature never got below the mid-20s and was usually in the mid-30s. The thing that made a difference was the sun & wind. On sunny, windless days, it was quite balmy and I was in shirtsleeves. On cloudy, windy days, we wore fleece & a waterproof parka, wool hat & gloves but never any long johns and we were quite comfortable. If you are taking pictures on deck, I suggest gloves or mittens that allow your fingers to come out to operate the camera.

One caveat - I am blessed with excessive body fat that helps insulate.

We are scheduled on Holland America Jan 24 out of VAL (Santiago) and cruising to Rio over 20 days with AA views/ drive-bys, stops?. In is on the Amsterdam. I know this is no Russian ice breaker, or mini boat that can go into the ports. BUT does anyone know:

Do we need any special clothing? We will have a verandah.

Been on lots of cruises, is there something special we should bring?

Flying into Santiago and spending 3 days, besides paying the $131 fee+- any other special payments, paperwork or preperations?

Going into Brazil, we need to have a VISA? Live in SAN area, will be seeking out a processor, to avoid going to Los Angeles twice? Any other issues, we will be staying 3 days.

Most of the ports seem to be by tender and into "town". We have always booked the ships tours, but it appears that this is not very necessary in many of these ports. Comments?

Any other suggestions or comments?

Thank you in advance. Fairly new to the site, but have posted a 20 day cruise trip report in the Med and 6 days in Rome.

• 4 weeks later...

DH and I were on the HAL Rotterdam over the Christmas/NY's holiday in 2006/07. It was by far the most fantastic cruise/trip we have ever taken. We are from the midwest and we too know cold weather! We wore our heavy jackets, gloves, scarves, and wool socks somedays....and somedays we wore layered fleece. Going thru Iceberg Alley was very cold and windy, I had on everything I could and was still cold but it was soooooooooo worth it! We came into Paradise Bay and it was calm, warm(mid 30s) and absolutely gorgeous....it took my breath away. IMO- I felt close to the Almighty that morning....brought tears to my eyes. Take LOTS of film/memory cuz you will need it. HAL is a wonderful cruiseline and the Rotterdam was fantastic. Please let me know how your cruise was when you return. ENJOY.....Marian

• 2 weeks later...
Going into Brazil, we need to have a VISA? Live in SAN area, will be seeking out a processor, to avoid going to Los Angeles twice? Any other issues, we will be staying 3 days.
Yes, ALL Americans are required to have a visa. HAL probably won't allow you to board without one. We did the other direction (flying into Rio) and our airline checked the passports for visas many, MANY times before we boarded.

Antarctica was wonderful, we will be returning.

Archived