Carnival Esctasy

I don't think any ship will be on my agenda to sail again for a long time. My plans are to sail as many different ships as possible in the coming years.

Ecstasy in January will be my first ship I will have done twice. We are also trying different ships, but Ecstasy makes a cheap getaway for us.

Next year I have booked Ecstasy 1/26, Conquest 9/7 and Disney Magic 10/4.

If something came along that was really a bargain, I would try and fit it in.

The Ecstasy IS a wonderful ship, especially since mid-May when Captain Scala took command. I look forward to several more cruises in the next year and a half while he and his wife are still aboard.

What Captain Scala and his wife, Chloe, (hotel director) have achieved on that ship is awesome. Perhaps the special project was the catalyst, but the camaraderie and joy evident in the staff is quite special and something that I've not seen in 13 previous cruises.

He is certainly the MOST visible Captain I've encountered in my 13 previous cruises on Carnival and other lines. Every staff member I spoke with was a happy cruiser and sang the praises of Captain Scala. They all feel like family and are happy to work hard together to make each passenger's stay aboard the Ecstasy a real treat. Passengers were so surprised to see the Captain in the elevators and he graciously consented to photographs. He dealt the finals of the Blackjack tourny, and even smoked cigars and had a Q & A for the passengers.

While I can't sail for 7 days in a row very often, I am able to sail those 4 nighters every 2-3 months. Ecstasy is porting from Galveston and is an hour drive for me.

We all have our reasons for the ships we choose, but those of you who think that the Ecstasy is too mature and too neon are missing the best part of the Ecstasy...her Captain and crew.

(I shouldn't be encouraging people to book the E...it leaves more room for ME!)

I'm sailing her again for the 3rd time in 28 days. We love this ship and 4/5 days is a perfect length with our busy lives. We're taking dh's kids and 2 of the grandkids this time. 10 of us total and I know we're going to have fun even though the Romanian waitress dh fell in love with got married to another crew member and is back in Romania expecting their first child.

We will be leaving on the Ecstasy on the 11th. It will be our 3rd cruise on Carnival and even though our first two were on the giant Conquest I am so looking forward to this one. I am eager to compare the different feel of the ship. My son is so excited about the mini-golf.

If you need extra pictures, just get your requests in before we leave & I will be happy to post them.

We are still undecided about what to do when we get to Progresso. I can't seem to interest my DH or DS in the ruins and we did big beach days on our cruise in June.

I have researched the boards and can't seem to find anything in particular that grabs the attention of the 2 guys in my life. Any suggestions from those that have been multiple times are appreciated.

TimeYet. How about strolling around the historical area of Merida, a beautiful old Spanish colonial city, have lunch and a carriage ride out to the upscale, european styled blvd (Paseo Montejo).

Love your screen name.

TimeYet. How about strolling around the historical area of Merida, a beautiful old Spanish colonial city, have lunch and a carriage ride out to the upscale, european styled blvd (Paseo Montejo).

Love your screen name.

I have viewed your photo albums. It looks like a beautiful city. I think I remember a post that there was a bus from Progreso to Merida for $3. Is that right? Where do you find it? Also, how would we find the carriage ride in Merida? It does sound like a relaxing way to see areas of the city. Maybe you should write a Progreso/Merida travel guide -- I'd buy it.

The screen name is just my twist on the time tested -- Are we there yet?

TimeYet. When the courtesy bus drops you in Progreso, just ask directions to the "regular" Auto Progreso bus terminal. It's a three block walk. Yep. Three bucks round trip. Pick up a hard copy of Yucatan Today in Progreso. Tour the Casa de Montejo on the central plaza. Built in 1549 and now serves as a bank. The governor's executive mansion and of course the Cathedral built in 1561. As you exit the Cathedral turn right and you can't miss the carriages. Fifty minutes for $20 per load. A short block from the Cathedral is Plaza Hidalgo and some sidewalk cafes. Coffee is excellent almost anywhere and some really good beers. I usually stay at one of the hotels on this plaza.

The Ecstasy IS a wonderful ship, especially since mid-May when Captain Scala took command. I look forward to several more cruises in the next year and a half while he and his wife are still aboard.

What Captain Scala and his wife, Chloe, (hotel director) have achieved on that ship is awesome. Perhaps the special project was the catalyst, but the camaraderie and joy evident in the staff is quite special and something that I've not seen in 13 previous cruises.

He is certainly the MOST visible Captain I've encountered in my 13 previous cruises on Carnival and other lines. Every staff member I spoke with was a happy cruiser and sang the praises of Captain Scala. They all feel like family and are happy to work hard together to make each passenger's stay aboard the Ecstasy a real treat. Passengers were so surprised to see the Captain in the elevators and he graciously consented to photographs. He dealt the finals of the Blackjack tourny, and even smoked cigars and had a Q & A for the passengers.

While I can't sail for 7 days in a row very often, I am able to sail those 4 nighters every 2-3 months. Ecstasy is porting from Galveston and is an hour drive for me.

We all have our reasons for the ships we choose, but those of you who think that the Ecstasy is too mature and too neon are missing the best part of the Ecstasy...her Captain and crew.

So true

(love the new avatar)

You're welcome, lgbteacher. I have more if you want me to send them to you. Travelgirl

Travelgirl- I tried to bring up your photo album on line and it will only give me the one picture now. My sister is here now and I really wanted to show her your pics. Could you send them to me? Send them to lgb teacher at a o l dot c o m. Thanks!

Hi,

Our first cruise, back in 2004, was on the Ecstasy, and we had a blast. We sailed over the Christmas holiday, and perhaps because it was our first cruise, perhaps because it was all decorated for Christmas, it was SO wonderful and exciting. There were some parts of the ship I didn't care for - the garish carpet and the loads of neon, but hey, bad carpet patterns are NOT going to ruin a vacation!

We left out of Long Beach and went to Catalina and Ensenada. On the Elation (a year later) we went to Cozumel and Progresso. Cozumel was fantastic - definitely one of my favorite ports! We took a taxi to Chankanaab Park, sat on the beach, had snacks, rented snorkels and had a wonderful time. Probably spent $50 for all 5 of us, total. In Progresso we hired a van drive to take us to Chichen Itza, also quite a wonderful trip.

Don't feel compelled to take the ship's excursions. In most cases you can find similar excusions for WAY less once you arrive in port. Just walk around the port area - you'll find no shortage of tour guides offering this and that. In our 5 cruises, we've only take one ship sponsored excursion.

Have fun, and enjoy the Ecstasy!

Awwww, yes! That is him! How neat that you already had a picture of him! You must've just sailed the Ecstacy since July, correct? And you're going back again in September? You lucky bum! Thank you so much for the link to the picture. I truly appreciate it! Sorry it took so long for me to respond, but I just was barely able to log back onto this site since I posted last week. If it's not too much to ask, would you be able to email the full-size version of the picture? My email address is traycz00@hotmail.com. Thanks again, that really made my day. =)

Traci

Thank you for the effort to post the picture, travelgirl. I'm sorry to say that wasn't him after all. He didn't join the ship until July. I took a look at your picture thinking there might be a possibility of it being him if he came onboard a bit early, but that cellist wasn't him. Thank you though, I so appreciate how wonderful and helpful everyone on this board has been in getting me a picture of him. He's a dear friend of mine. Thank you!

Traci

Thank you for the effort to post the picture, travelgirl. I'm sorry to say that wasn't him after all. He didn't join the ship until July. I took a look at your picture thinking there might be a possibility of it being him if he came onboard a bit early, but that cellist wasn't him. Thank you though, I so appreciate how wonderful and helpful everyone on this board has been in getting me a picture of him. He's a dear friend of mine. Thank you!

Traci

I leave on the Ecstasy on Saturday. I snap a picture for you if he is still there.

• 1 month later...

I agree. See my review. He was soooo fun and funny. I would often see him roaming the ship with pax lined up after him like ducks in a row. He also kept us safely behing hurrican humberto! GO Pierre!!

Archived