What to pack for kids?

SunnieC

We are leaving on the Legend in a month (woot!) and I just wondered if there was anything that you ALWAYS bring for your kids or if you have any great suggestions for me. Ya'll might think of something I haven't! My girls are 7 and 8. I know we will be busy running around, but I want to hear your tricks of the trade! Thank you!:)

We are leaving on the Legend in a month (woot!) and I just wondered if there was anything that you ALWAYS bring for your kids or if you have any great suggestions for me. Ya'll might think of something I haven't! My girls are 7 and 8. I know we will be busy running around, but I want to hear your tricks of the trade! Thank you!:)

I bring a deck of Uno cards, a book for each of them, and their Gameboys - sometimes a little "down time" in the stateroom is just what my kids (6 and 8) need right before dinner, or before settling down for the night.

I also bring the white noise machine, which helps ALL of us sleep better.

Baby wipes or other hand wipes are always great to have - particularly when kids are at the beach playing in the sand and then sit down to eat nachos or a burger. I've also found them VERY helpful when Camp Carnival paints their faces (which is almost every night) - the baby wipes are infinitely better than using a soapy facecloth.

I'll have to think of some other kid-specific things, and if I can come up with anything I'll post. They will be on their 7th cruise this September and they always have such a great time.

7 and 8 are an easier age than the baby/toddler years. I stress out more over my youngest than my oldest. My oldest is easy...LOTS of dresses for dinner. Lots of shoes...lol. (This is her idea not mine)

Other than that, she lives at the camp and I have to drag her out kicking and screaming.

I don't know if I have ever seen you over at the family board...there are some extensive lists of what to pack for kids.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Swim goggles

Baseball caps/visors

Lanyards for the S&S cards

IPods

Disposable cameras (waterproof ones)

Basic meds & first aid kit (tylenol, cough medicine, band aids, antibiotoc ointment, etc.)

Sunblock (especially the stick kind for their face - those noses and cheeks burn quickly. Waterbabies and Coppertone make a great stick to use on the face.)

7 and 8 are an easier age than the baby/toddler years. I stress out more over my youngest than my oldest. My oldest is easy...LOTS of dresses for dinner. Lots of shoes...lol. (This is her idea not mine)

Other than that, she lives at the camp and I have to drag her out kicking and screaming.

I don't know if I have ever seen you over at the family board...there are some extensive lists of what to pack for kids.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Hi, Michelle, Great photo of your kids on FOS! We have one similar on NOS from February. I think it's going to end up on our holiday cards! Preparing for that cruise, I saw a lot of your posts on the RCI board -- noticed your new photo right away tonight. Very cute!

To the OP, I've been cruising with my kids since they were 7 and 10 (they are now 12 and 15). Bring lots of t-shirts and bathing suits (unless you're planning to do laundry or send some out). They go through a lot more than you'd expect (mine did anyway). Make sure they have a hat to protect them from the sun, too.

In terms of extra "stuff" to bring, my kids rarely had down time on any cruises. Whatever they brought for the plane ride, was good enough for the short time they were in the cabin between activities.

Make sure they bring a good attitude and are ready to meet new people (easier at 7 or 8 than at 15 :eek: ). I'm sure they will have a blast.

I carry antibacterial wet ones (individually packaged) in my fanny pack or pocket. Great for when onshore or out on excursions. Very easy clean up for hands or faces when bathrooms aren't available or not very clean.

We just got off the Liberty with a 7 & 8 year old. Their airplane backpacks (books/crayons/Nintendo DS) was sufficient for down time. Make sure you take a power strip so you can recharge. I would also suggest granola bars or somekind of small snack to take to ports.

Our kids spent a lot of time at Camp Carnival, they love the stay up late nights (though be careful not to stay out too late if you want to get our early in the morning). Note that the camp takes breaks during the day, so it's not a leave them for lots of hours thing. 3 hours on 2 hours off kind of thing. When they weren't in camp they loved the slide (lines are great on port day afternoons) and we did do some downtime in our rooms during the afternoon. The kids were just ready for a little break and a slower pace. Take swim shirts to keep the sun off.

I would have taken better shoes for my daughter. I didn't pack her tennis shoes and she wished she had had them. Some ports had a bit of a walk. Or comfortable sandals (already well worn--not flip flops that fall off when walking quickly).

Also, one of the best things we took was snorkel gear for the kids. This wouldn't be necessary for everyone, but our goal was to snorkel until we could snorkel no more. It was great to have the kids gear all sized and ready to go. We literally pulled up to beaches and they were in the water in seconds. We took blow up life vests as well. You can find them in neat backpacks on-line so they are easy for the kids to carry and they don't take much space.

We cruised with our children last year for the first time. I could not have stood the cabin had I not brought the over the door shoe holder. I assigned each person in the family 2 rows of pockets and we all kept our belongings in there. The cabins can close in quickly if everyone just lays stuff anywhere and I was determined not to spend my vacation picking up after them and looking for their lost items.

A few other things I would recommend:

• disposable cameras
  • journals
  • goggles and snorkle equipment
  • hair conditioner (my daughter's scalp got a little red and the tangles about killed her)
  • plenty of swim suits
  • water shoes (some ports have rocky terrain in the shallow water)
  • preprinted cards with their email information (If they are into the computer, they will meet lots of kids that they may want to email with once they get home.)
  • familiar item to sleep with if they have a hard time being in a strange bed
  • cards/games
  • lanyard to hold their cards etc

I would suggest that if they have a "talent" they want to share, they should bring whatever they need for it, as there is always a "talent show" for the kids. For example, my daughter brought her baton so she could do a baton routine. Another time she brought a CD with the music she wanted to use for an act. They usually have a piano available for kids, for those that want to play the piano.

Water socks are really helpful (for kids and grown ups alike)! The decks around the pools are VERY slippery, and watersocks are great to wear on any excursions that you might get wet on, rather than getting your tennis shoes wet. Much better than flip flops.

Have fun!

We cruised with our boys for the first time last January. We got them child size sea bands for sea sickness. They were bright orange and green and the kids thought they were great. One night we went swimming just before bed and we forgot to put them back on. Two of our boys ended up waking up sea sick before morning. We put their bands back on and they were fine by breakfast.

We also brought a nightlight for the cabin.

Have a great time! -Allison

This will be the girl's 3rd cruise- but they were so little that I decided what to bring for them (and I over did it- as usual)

I already bought new water shoes, and have tons of the little travel thingys for just about every mishap- but I didn't think about goggles- that would be good- and the preprinted email addresses.

And we don't have to fly- considering we live about 30 minutes from this port- so we won't have any plane bag packing. But I was thinking Gameboys, a couple coloring books and markers- 1 (ONE) 1 stuffed animal,and maybe a Barbie, and a card game. I also have new little notebooks for them to create their "memoirs" lol!

Thank you all for your suggestions! Keep them coming!:)

Heelies....Kazoos....Sliide whiistles and snare drums......:eek:

Sorry...I lust couldn't help myself......:D :D

~ Continuous spray sunscreen (I love that stuff!)

~ Hair accessories for my 10 year old daughter (that is so easy to forget!)

~ A very small and portable first aid kit (for my 4 year old son mostly!)

~ Basic children's medication (i.e., Tylenol, cough med and decongestant)

~ Baby wipes

~ Antibacterial hand gel

~ Kid sunglasses and hats

~ More underclothes and socks than I think I need

~ As many swim suits as they own!

Have a great trip! :)

Archived