Report - Coast Hotel Long Beach by CJW

looking at finding a motel for before our cuise and after our cruise. We like to give our selves a day before we cruise.. Just in case the Illinois weather is not wanting us to leave or go home :)

Could you give me a link to this motel? What is the whole name? What kind of prices?

thanks

Here is a link to the Coast Long Beach Hotel ...

http://www.coasthotels.com/hotels/usa/california/long_beach/coast_longbeach/overview

We are a couple from NC who are booked on the Diamond Princess for Feb, 08 round trip LAX to Hawaii. I have been told that the ship docks in Long Beach. Does anyone know that for sure and would the Coast Hotel be convenient for this dock? How far is the hotel from LAX and how much can we expect to pay to transfer from there? Thanks for all of the info you can give me.

I would wonder about your source about Long Beach vs. San Pedro. As others have stated, Carnival uses the Port of Long Beach while just about 99 per cent of the time, the other cruiselines use the World Cruise Center in San Pedro.

Here's the February 2008 calendar for the WCC (from the port's website):

http://www.sanpedrocalendar.com/scripts/calcium310.pl?Op=ShowIt&CalendarName=sanpedrocruiseship&Op=ShowIt&Amount=Month&NavType=Absolute&Type=Block&Date=2008/2/1

So unless something's changed, you will be leaving from San Pedro. You can still stay in Long Beach and take a taxi from your hotel (just make sure you tell the driver to take you to the Port of LA) or see if your hotel will shuttle over there.

Thanks Patty and Cruzer 2. Wish you were on my thread for the cruise. How can I get people abuzz? I am used to having lots of activity for the cruises we took in the past. Guess all of my cruisemates work too much to talk!

I do see the (San Pedro) after the Los Angeles on the Princess site now. That is why I love to read and sometimes post on these threads because I sometimes learn the obvious and not so obvious. I had been saying we would return on Monday, March 3- but thankfuly Cruzer 2 made me count again and see it is Sunday, March 2. Its a good thing I start so far ahead so that I can "get it all together". Okay, now does anyone have a suggestion for a hotel near the San Pedro port? LA looks very spread out.

Thanks Patty and Cruzer 2. Wish you were on my thread for the cruise. How can I get people abuzz? I am used to having lots of activity for the cruises we took in the past. Guess all of my cruisemates work too much to talk!

I do see the (San Pedro) after the Los Angeles on the Princess site now. That is why I love to read and sometimes post on these threads because I sometimes learn the obvious and not so obvious. I had been saying we would return on Monday, March 3- but thankfuly Cruzer 2 made me count again and see it is Sunday, March 2. Its a good thing I start so far ahead so that I can "get it all together". Okay, now does anyone have a suggestion for a hotel near the San Pedro port? LA looks very spread out.

LA is spread out. While I have no personal knowledge, some like the Crown Plaza ...

SanPedrowithhotel.jpg

Also, I believe CJW did a thread on this hotel ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=601984

Or you can try the Doubletree hotel ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=602015

Yep, I'd definitely look into the info and my reports above for either the Crowne Plaza and/or Doubletree (thanks to Cuizer2 for providing the links)...

Each one I think has benefits, depending on what you are looking for...

CJW

Went to this link and several dates I put in for reservations said this motels was not available?? Don't get it!

Any other help would be great.

Yep, I'd definitely look into the info and my reports above for either the Crowne Plaza and/or Doubletree (thanks to Cuizer2 for providing the links)...

Each one I think has benefits, depending on what you are looking for...

CJW

Looked at these links nothing direct to motel links!?

Any other way to get there? Names again?

Unfortunately, with a girl in school (about to start 5th grade), I'm limited as to when we can vacation. And she's certainly not going to let us get on a cruiseship without her (she's been on 6 so far). Our last cruise was this same one, but on the Island Princess. I think the only difference would be the itinerary (we went to Honolulu, Kauai, Lahaina, Hilo -- and had to miss Kona because of high waves -- in that order). And we went on the holiday cruise (Christmas, Hanukkah, and New Years), which was a big bonus.

We haven't been on the Diamond, but we enjoyed the Sapphire just a couple months after it started sailing.

Greetings,

I just submitted a review of this Hotel http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.phpp=11229610&posted=1#post11229610

I hope I did the link thing right.

:D To answer CJW's questions:

1) We stayed in Building 4 (on the 4th floor). The room number escapes me.

2) We drove over to downtown...it took less than 5 minutes. And we found a free parking space right on the street.

We really enjoyed our stay and we will definitely be staying there in the future.

• 4 months later...
We just booked a pre-cruise night at the Coast Hotel with the park & sail package. Based on our situation, it seemed like the best alternative, but I will let everyone know in March!

We've done that twice and it has worked out very well, great location to get on the ship the next day!

Cathyz, that's great to hear. I don't want to hi-jack this thread (and too lazy to search for other responses), but did you take advantage of early check-in? If so, what was your experience?

Even though the room wouldn't be ready, it would be great to get aboard the ship and become acquainted with our temporary home.

Cathyz, that's great to hear. I don't want to hi-jack this thread (and too lazy to search for other responses), but did you take advantage of early check-in? If so, what was your experience?

Even though the room wouldn't be ready, it would be great to get aboard the ship and become acquainted with our temporary home.

Yes, we've done the early check-in on the Queen Mary twice, Paradise and Pride. It was very easy, no or very short lines, just takes a few minutes. Then you can get in the front of the 'zone 1' line and hang out there for a while depending on when you do the early check-in. The early check-in runs from about 9:00 to about 11:00 and boarding starts between 11:00 and 11:30. We've been on both ships before noon. It's a nice boarding area if the weather is nice, if it's raining you'll need a big umbrella as there is no place to go inside near the boarding area until you actually get into the security line inside the dome. Hope that helps. The Paradise pictures in my signature have quite a few pics of the check-in / boarding areas in Long Beach.

Yes, we've done the early check-in on the Queen Mary twice, Paradise and Pride. It was very easy, no or very short lines, just takes a few minutes. Then you can get in the front of the 'zone 1' line and hang out there for a while depending on when you do the early check-in. The early check-in runs from about 9:00 to about 11:00 and boarding starts between 11:00 and 11:30. We've been on both ships before noon. It's a nice boarding area if the weather is nice, if it's raining you'll need a big umbrella as there is no place to go inside near the boarding area until you actually get into the security line inside the dome. Hope that helps. The Paradise pictures in my signature have quite a few pics of the check-in / boarding areas in Long Beach.

Thank you very much for the information, especially for the photo links.

Archived