Dress code-Avalon

Liebo

We just did this same cruise on the Avalon Tranquility from July 7 thru July 22nd. This was the best vacation we have ever had. You will have a wonderful time.I have a review on here if you wish to read it that I just completed a couple of days ago.

During the day while touring just about everything was worn.The women wore jeans,casual slacks,capris with casual tops.The men wore jeans,long shorts and docker type pants with cotton knit golf type shirts or cotton button up shirts both with collars. I only saw one guy who wore a tshirts with writing on it.I did see a few women wear bermuda shorts while on the sun deck but this was not common. Europeons only wear shorts when they are participating in an athletic event.

Just about everyone changed for dinner but even than the dress was still casual.I think they call it country club casual. My DH happily did not even bring a sportcoat,suit or tie and he was fine.He wore dockers and button up collared shirt for dinner and jeans or Khakis for touring during the day.He never wears shorts even at home but some men did wear the long cargo travel shorts with the pockets.

No shorts are allowed at dinner in the dining room. They are fine at breakfast or lunch.

The first night dinner and last night some of the women got pretty dressed up with some glitter but nothing that would be considered semi formal etc.The only other time people dressed up was the concert in Vienna but still no very few suits or ties on the men. No air cond. in the concert hall so you would roast if you wore a suit.

For the dinners I saw lots of those those gauzy skirts that you wring when you dry them. Also capris or slacks or skirts with a nice top,either kinda silky or maybe a little glitter on the top for the ladies. Also saw several nice linen outfits worn by the women for dinner.

There is really no need for men to bring a suit,tie or sportcoat or for women to bring semiformal dresses.

Don't forget a waterproof windbreaker with a hood for both men and women and an umbrella. The jacket does not need to be lined. I have one that will fold up and fit in a small pocket and that was perfect.Also bring a cardigan sweater or hoodie for those cool evenings on the sun deck or walking around the cities.

Basically you will see just about everything worn and no matter what you wear you will not feel out of place.

The ship is beautiful,the staff hard working and they will do everything they can to spoil you!!!!

First of all, we are also on the 9/2 Tranquility - Budapest to Amsterdam. Delighted that there will be a least one Aussie on the trip. Find Australia the best and Aussies delightful!!!

Because of the detailed account from Let'sGo (bless you for all that wonderful information), I decided to forgo jeans at dinner. I like to look a tad more dressed up when I tour. So I purchased a dressy pair of navy blue pants that I will pair with my tops (worn with jeans during the day time). Hope it works.

G'Day

Glad my information can be of use.

We had 55 Aussies on our cruise and I also enjoy their company.They sure know how to have a good time.I'm all for that too. The remainder of the passengers were American,Canadian and British with one couple from Egypt. All in all a very a VERY good group.

The open seating gives everyone a chance to meet others from other countries. That to me is what travel is all abou!!!:D

What an awesome group! Hope we are as fortunate as you to have such diversity.

Our Hungarian friends said not to miss Gypsy Music. Do they have any Hungarian entertainment on board the first night in Budapest?

What an awesome group! Hope we are as fortunate as you to have such diversity.

Our Hungarian friends said not to miss Gypsy Music. Do they have any Hungarian entertainment on board the first night in Budapest?

Yes,we had Gypsy music while dining.

We also had some KIWIS on our cruise.Don't want to forget about them either.

Forgot to mention one of the most magical nights. While we were cruising the last night before Amsterdam we saw in the distance fireworks in the sky off the starboard side.Many of us were on the sundeck enjoying the last night of cruising. As we continued to cruise the fireworks got closer and closer.We eventually had to come to a halt due to the river traffic and we were able to continue to watch this amazing fireworks dispaly for about 1 1/2 hours.It was just beautiful and we joked the next day that our CD had really outdone herself by arranging these fireworks just for us.:D ! It turned out that Dusseldorf was having a city festival on the riverfront and because of the heavy river traffic we were forced to stop as the harbor was just full of pleasure boats watching the fireworks.Here we thought the captain had stopped just for us.:D In the end the result was the same and it was the perfect ending for a perfect vacation.

Archived