Hospital Birth Certificate

theking13

When you don't have the proper legal documentation for a cruise or the airlines, you are totally at the MERCY of whoever happens to be checking you in.

Last week I found this out as I was attempting to check in for a flight from Mexico to the U.S. The ticket agent asked for my Mexican Visa and I did not have it. For the life of me, I couldn't remember what I'd done with it. It's given to you on the outbound flight, stamped when you arrive and you keep the lower part for the return flight. The consequences for not having this involved a large fee and immigration scrutiny and possibly missing the last flight out for the day. The ticket agent must have taken pity on me and finally handed me one to fill out, thus avoiding a large fee and immigration scrutiny and possibly missing my plane.

I used my hospital birth certificate for years because that was all I had. Even the military took it when I had to apply for security clearances. I never had a problem. Until 9/11. When I went to get a passport, nada. Must have an actual certified birth certificate issued by the state/county/city.

Cheers,

And now, not only do they want a certified birth certificate, but they want a LONG form! I am waiting to see if my short one that I got in '96 will be accepted by passport authorities. This is crazy!

And now, not only do they want a certified birth certificate, but they want a LONG form! I am waiting to see if my short one that I got in '96 will be accepted by passport authorities. This is crazy!

What is the short form? Is it a "certified copy?" If it is I would imagine that they will accept it as long as it is certified from the state.

An official birth certificate is one that is issued by a governmental agency -- state/county/city. A hospital birth certificate is a useless souvenir. They may have been acceptable ID back in the day, but in the post-9/11 era, they are not worth the paper they're printed on. I don't even know why they continue issuing the silly things; they only cause confusion.

Leave your marriage certificate home; you won't need it.

My hospital birth certificate has a different first name. My mom changed her mind once I was brought home from the hospital. So my certified state copy has my real name. Just goes to show how useless the hospital certificate is.

What is the short form? Is it a "certified copy?" If it is I would imagine that they will accept it as long as it is certified from the state.

Both short and long forms are considered certified, it is just the amount of information included on them.

Texas has short and long forms. The short form only has the person's info (name, date and place of birth). The long form includes (among other info) the parent's info on it.

The long form is required for obtaining a passport. And a short form is accepted for cruising (at least my DD's was).

Another tidbit for Texas, a short form BC can be obtained at any county seat. BUT, a long form can only be obtained from the county of birth or Austin.

Another tidbit for Texas, a short form BC can be obtained at any county seat. BUT, a long form can only be obtained from the county of birth or Austin.

My daughter and I went to our local courthouse and had our BC in less than 10 minutes, and they had all the info, so i'm assuming they were the long forms, but we were not born in this county. The lady said that all courthouses in texas, or at least the larger ones? not sure, were linked up to Austin and anyone in texas could go to any courthouse and get their BC. I didn't even know they made a short form!?

Archived