Canadian Passports - how long?

mithryl

I have a friend sailing with us in October that is a Canadian citizen with a US "greencard". Her Canadian passport expired in April 07. Her US Immigration card is good until 2011.

How long will it take her to renew her Canadian Passport? (I know the US ones are taking a long time).

Will she be ok with just her Immigration card and Drivers license? (Just a 4 day Pacific NW cruise).

Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure if she would even need a passport if she isn't having to fly. We live in Canada and so far (from what we have heard) they are only requiring passports for flights out of the country. All that is needed up until Jan. 2008 to cross the Canada/U.S. border is a drivers license and birth certificate. It looks like the itinerary is mostly making stops in Canada as well. She should be okay coming into the country (I would think). My brother lived in the Seattle area for several years and would travel back and for across the border with minimal trouble (sometimes annoying questions would be asked). If she lives close to the border she would be better off driving up for a few days and hand delivering it. The average wait here in Saskatoon has been 6-8 weeks, but sometimes people have had to stand in line for 3-4 hours to drop off the forms. I don't know what it is like elsewhere, but I would guess the people who show up at the office are taking priority over packages arriving in the mail.

B & R

We renewed ours in March with the post office. They took about 8 weeks. It would have been faster going directly to the passport office but we had lots of time.

Don't know what the options are from out of the country.

If there are no flights involved she won't need a passport.

My family are canadians living in us (I have become an american citizen) but we are going on a cruise in January. I helped family apply for canadian passport and it was one of the most nerve wracking things we have done. ten times more time intensive then the ones in the states. and we had heard such horror stories about them being denied 3 months after they were sent because of small seemingly innocent issues. I would apply immediately. We brought ours to the canadian consulate in a big city near us to have them check it over. We were told that going to Canada to apply would have been better, but then we were told that if you apply in Canada, then you need to go there to pick it up once it comes as well so we decided against it. Everythiing about the process is much more in depth than the passport in the states.

For Canadians residing in the States there is currently a 15-week wait. This is considerably longer than the wait for those resident in Canada.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/usa/index.aspx?lang=e

There is a separate area on the Passport Canada site that provides info on how to get your passport when you live in the States. There are different forms and a different location for processing.

When she applies for her passport she can KEEP her expired Canadian passport. According to current regulations, she does not need a passport unless she plans to fly ... so she should be okay to travel with her Green Card. She should also carry her expired passport on the off chance that she needs assistance somewhere. Tell her to be careful about the photo requirements. A friend just had their app returned because there was a "spot" on her blouse. :mad:

I am a dual citizen but always carry both when I travel > I applied for my renewal on or about June 15th and have neither received the passport nor seen a charge to my credit card yet. When I applied I did indicate that I'm traveling on September 2nd ... but I have zero expectation of receiving it by then.

Please have your friend refer to both the US and Canadian government sites for the most reliable information.

For Canadians residing in the States there is currently a 15-week wait. This is considerably longer than the wait for those resident in Canada.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/usa/index.aspx?lang=e

There is a separate area on the Passport Canada site that provides info on how to get your passport when you live in the States. There are different forms and a different location for processing.

When she applies for her passport she can KEEP her expired Canadian passport. According to current regulations, she does not need a passport unless she plans to fly ... so she should be okay to travel with her Green Card. She should also carry her expired passport on the off chance that she needs assistance somewhere. Tell her to be careful about the photo requirements. A friend just had their app returned because there was a "spot" on her blouse. :mad:

I am a dual citizen but always carry both when I travel > I applied for my renewal on or about June 15th and have neither received the passport nor seen a charge to my credit card yet. When I applied I did indicate that I'm traveling on September 2nd ... but I have zero expectation of receiving it by then.

Please have your friend refer to both the US and Canadian government sites for the most reliable information.

I am going for my USA Citizenship in the next couple of weeks. I am at the phase of the test! I am concerned about getting my passport in time for my Nov cruise overseas. Right now I am a legal Alien of the USA for the last 10 years.

My question to you is, were you a Canadian and became an American or visa versa. As I understand the USA does not reconize dual citizenship however Canada does. What passports will you hold? Both?

Extremely interesting in your answer. I would hate to be left at the gate without the proper papers.

My daughters' passports took 16 weeks by mail (we live in Southern Ontario). My daughters boyfriend decided to brave the lineups (only took a little over an hour) and he will have it in less than two weeks. My in-laws got theirs in less than two weeks and they went in person. The line ups do not seem as bad now.

I am going for my USA Citizenship in the next couple of weeks. I am at the phase of the test! I am concerned about getting my passport in time for my Nov cruise overseas. Right now I am a legal Alien of the USA for the last 10 years.

My question to you is, were you a Canadian and became an American or visa versa. As I understand the USA does not reconize dual citizenship however Canada does. What passports will you hold? Both?

Extremely interesting in your answer. I would hate to be left at the gate without the proper papers.

Good luck on the test! I found that it was really easy, but have heard that they have made it more difficult.

I am Canadian born and lived there for most of my life. Married an American and moved here about 10 years ago.

You are permitted to hold more than one citizenship. While you renounce allegiances to other countries when you take the oath, Canada does not recognize this and allows you to still be a Canadian citizen. I carry BOTH passports. It's more expensive, but for me it is worthwhile emotionally and politically. If you are an American citizen you will absolutely want to get the American passport or you will constantly have problems at Customs. Plus, you will be expected to carry your Naturalisation papers when you travel - and they cannot be photocopied & cost about $400 to replace if lost.

Good luck on the test! I found that it was really easy, but have heard that they have made it more difficult.

I am Canadian born and lived there for most of my life. Married an American and moved here about 10 years ago.

You are permitted to hold more than one citizenship. While you renounce allegiances to other countries when you take the oath, Canada does not recognize this and allows you to still be a Canadian citizen. I carry BOTH passports. It's more expensive, but for me it is worthwhile emotionally and politically. If you are an American citizen you will absolutely want to get the American passport or you will constantly have problems at Customs. Plus, you will be expected to carry your Naturalisation papers when you travel - and they cannot be photocopied & cost about $400 to replace if lost.

I am so happy I can retain my Canadian Citizenship and can also retain my passport. I heard the Canadian passport is a no no after.

I will have to remember to carry the papers at all times.

My husband is also American and we met on a cruise 11 years ago!

Thank you so much for the information!

All the best in cruising!

DH is a Canadian citizen, It took 15+ weeks and he had to call the Canadian consulate to find out the status. At the time he applied, the website said 4-6 weeks for processing, that was back in April. Their backlog seems to be getting bigger, so if you need a passsport, dot it now, don't wait. :eek:

On August 17th (I think that was the day) there will be a new process for those Canadians already holding a passport that needs to be renewed. I'm not sure if this also applies to those who have expired passports. They say it will be a lot quicker to get it back. I work near the passport office in Vancouver and the horror stories have resided now that they pre-screen before you get your number. It is still faster to go to the nearest passport office if you are in a hurry and they even have a way you can get it faster if you can proove that you need a passport in the near future.

I just wish Canadians were issued a 10 year passport - 5 years is ridiculous!

On August 17th (I think that was the day) there will be a new process for those Canadians already holding a passport that needs to be renewed. I'm not sure if this also applies to those who have expired passports. They say it will be a lot quicker to get it back. I work near the passport office in Vancouver and the horror stories have resided now that they pre-screen before you get your number. It is still faster to go to the nearest passport office if you are in a hurry and they even have a way you can get it faster if you can proove that you need a passport in the near future.

I just wish Canadians were issued a 10 year passport - 5 years is ridiculous!

Unfortunately the new process doesn't help those of us who live in the States. Those resident in Canada are going to have easier guarantee requirements ... but we in the US still have a real maze to get through.

I agree that 10-years makes more sense. We ALL need to write our MPs about this one! I'd pay twice as much for a 10-year passport, just to save the hassle every five years!!!

Archived