Just Back...Island Princess w/ Victoria pre-cruise and Seward post-cruise...FABULOUS!

UTVOLS

I rarely post on this board, but I must say I laughed out loud when reading your review. It was such fun and informative as well. Can't wait for our trip in 2 weeks! Thanks for the entertainment!

My apologies for bumping this back to the first page, but I wanted to thank you for your sweet response.:p

I am flattered that since you rarely post on this board that I would be the receipient of one of your 14 posts....awwwww Thank you:)

Big Whales, Blue Skies, Calm Seas......Lots of memories!

Your review is very informative and a real hoot!

I'm crazy in love with Kenai Fjords, too.

A Hoot....Yeah! :D That's one of my favorite words, so to receive it as a compliment for my review is Awesome! Thank you!

And photodoodle, may I so I LOVED your review as well, and was amazed by your pictures...I know it was a wonderful experience for you and your mom....she is a cutie!:)

UTVOLS - Please don't think there isn't anyone reading your review. It is absolutely fantastic. I can so relate to being an "Alaskan Virgin" and not knowing where to begin. I am still desperately trying to figure it all out and your review is not only informative but very, very entertaining.

Please tell, though, why did you pick the port side? I was advised to get starboard on the Island Princess and am in cabin C509. Is this good?

Please tell, though, why did you pick the port side? I was advised to get starboard on the Island Princess and am in cabin C509. Is this good?

Thank you for your kinds words.

I am by no means the best person to ask advice of as I am a mere "CopyCat" of many posters before me.:rolleyes:

But here goes....

We chose Port because of much of the commentary on this board. If you do a search on Port vs Starboard you will find the advice that we took into consideration when we were deciding. :) The main reason being that as you enter Glacier Bay and College Fjord, you receive commentary by the ranger or naturalist on your way into those areas and the majority of glaciers that are being talked about are seen on the port side first. If you are starboard (and viewing from your balcony) you will see those sites on your way out. I believe the only day that I said "I'm really thankful to have Port" was the day we were in College Fjord and we were getting ready for dinner, packing, and viewing the fjord all at the same time and the naturalist was speaking at the same time we were seeing the exact glacier. If you are starboard, you just have to wait to see them until the ship is turned around.

Have you perhaps looked at http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

to get any info about your cabin? I believe from looking at that site that your stateroom is partially covered which means that from the railing back about two feet, you will be exposed to the elements. (ie. rain), if you are standing at the railing. Also, if you look at the photos on that website you can see pictures of several cabins a few doors down from you that will give you a nice perspective of what to expect.

Another question....I have no idea what you are talking about in regards to the Whittier Tunnel. Remember, I'm still a "virgin". :-)

Funny, I had a hard time with this one also:)

Whittier has only one 'driving' way in and out....

Everyone must go through the tunnel.

The tunnel is open for a certain length of time each hour for cars going in one direction. Then they alternate and let the cars in the opposite direction have their turn.:) You wait in a 'holding line' until it is your turn.

One more.........What dining room do you go to for table #95?

OOOOOOHHHHHHH!

You enquire about LOVELY TABLE #95, by the WINDOW with Dennis and Ferdinand.:cool:

That would be for Anytime Dining in the Bordeaux Dining Room. I am unsure if those Servers are assigned there consistently or if it is per cruise....There are many tables by the window, if you feel fine with just requesting 'by the window'...doesn't hurt to see if you get Dennis and Ferdinand though. 8:00 is the easiest time to get a ressie for. Harder between 6:00 and then.

Best of Luck.....

Bon Appetit' and Happy Viewing;)

UTVOLS is right, when going in to see glacier bay, for sure, the ship cruises in close to shore (port side), when the park rangers start talking..it's about what you see on the port side. but this is only important if you plan on spending time, glacier view, from your balcony. the best views on are the top, open decks...you get the massive views.

when the ship pauses at the glaciers, it usual the port side that gets the 1st views and in some cases the only views. our ship had to move out of the way of a ship coming in behind us. starboard side only got a quick view. from the start of glacier bay to the last glacier viewing, the ship was going so slow there was no wake, but as it left...it went a little faster and no talk from the rangers.

otherwise for most of the inside passage, there are views on both sides of the ship.

Thanks Toyz,

Yep, she said it even clearer...

Our preference even though maybe not as grand, was to view from our balcony. The wind was not as strong and the elements more tolerable. Our biggest reason for enjoying the balcony more was that it was quiet, and we could 'listen' to the Glaciers, rather than be distracted by others around us. The glaciers make wonderful explosions, cracking, and hissing sounds...and the icebergs and bitty bergs floating in the water hiss and sound like Alka Seltzer.

Also, on College Fjord evening, it was a wonderful place to have wine and cheese as we were viewing the scenery.

A Hoot....Yeah! :D That's one of my favorite words, so to receive it as a compliment for my review is Awesome! Thank you!

And photodoodle, may I so I LOVED your review as well, and was amazed by your pictures...I know it was a wonderful experience for you and your mom....she is a cutie!:)

Speaking of "Crazy in love with Kenai Fjords", did you see my photo of

Captain Dan? (<- click link)

Speaking of "Crazy in love with Kenai Fjords", did you see my photo of

Captain Dan? (<- click link)

Why did you ever come home from Kenai Fjords?

Please tell,,,,,which company?

He's definitely better than a 2-for-1 Toursaver Coupon!;)

oops...sorry, just saw your answer above....guess I was just flustered from seeing that picture...

Let's see, I believe I can make the following purchase...

1 5x7 $4.95

1 8x10 $8.95Note Cards

1 5x7 Folded card w/ envelope $4.95

10 5x7 Folded cards w/ envelopes $22.95

25 5x7 Folded cards w/ envelopes $38.95

:) :) :)

UTVOLS,

Woo hoo! Banned from cruise critic AND "altered" the dining room dress code? Yessssssss!

Thoroughly enjoyed your review. As a matter of fact, I fast-forwarded through the responses, all the while muttering to myself "they're interrupting the story!". LOL!!! :D

Ah, your adventures brought back so many memories of Alaska. We learned bouldering at Mendenhall. Quite a feat climbing over those rocks. But so very worth it.

And the secret place on the ship is so fun!

OH! and when you go back to Alaska, you must stay overnight on Fox Island. So relaxing...hiking, skipping rocks, eating, eating, eating such wonderful gourmet food.

Okay, now I'M gushing (contagious? LOL!)

Thanks again for sharing your experiences in such a wonderfully humorous way.

Aloha,

Noreen.

UTVOLS,

Woo hoo! Banned from cruise critic AND "altered" the dining room dress code? Yessssssss!

Thoroughly enjoyed your review. As a matter of fact, I fast-forwarded through the responses, all the while muttering to myself "they're interrupting the story!". LOL!!! :D

Ah, your adventures brought back so many memories of Alaska. We learned bouldering at Mendenhall. Quite a feat climbing over those rocks. But so very worth it.

And the secret place on the ship is so fun!

OH! and when you go back to Alaska, you must stay overnight on Fox Island. So relaxing...hiking, skipping rocks, eating, eating, eating such wonderful gourmet food.

Okay, now I'M gushing (contagious? LOL!)

Thanks again for sharing your experiences in such a wonderfully humorous way.

Aloha,

Noreen.

Noreen

Thank you! I appreciated each one of your detailed comments...I'm a detail lover!

We honeymooned on Maui and it is a treasured place as well.

Thanks again and Aloha to you:)

Well, he has his own kind of handsomeness. I'f he's as good at finding whales as everyone says he is, I'd give him a hug. (What does that make me?:o )

I believe that puts you on the "scenery and wildlife to the max" trax and a lover of all things wet, wild, and wooly.:rolleyes:

Archived