raised seal?

Milliesc

Birth certificates with raised seals just means they are the orginial birth certficates and not a photocopy or a registration paper from the hospital.

It's easy to get birth certificates, go to Vital Check (online) and order them for $8

www.VitalChek.com

Check with others living in YOUR state to see if they have raised seals on theirs. I thought I had read somewhere that some states don't have raised seals on their original birth certificates.

But you DO NEED the actual birth certificate...so it is a must that you check and bring the right one.

Thanks, Michelle!

These are the original birth certificates we were given when each of the kids was born, so I guess we just don't have raised seals.

I am nervous that something is going to go wrong...So I am trying to get everything straight!

Thanks, Michelle!

These are the original birth certificates we were given when each of the kids was born, so I guess we just don't have raised seals.

I am nervous that something is going to go wrong...So I am trying to get everything straight!

Whoa, whoa, whoa -- it sounds like you're talking about the souvenir birth certificates you got at the hospital. Is that what you have? The one the hospital makes with the cute little footprints? That will NOT do, it is NOT a real birth certificate, just a souvenir. Go to the county offices in the county where your kids were born (probably called the bureau of vital statistics), fill out the paper work, pay the nominal fee, and walk out with a certified copy of their birth certificates. THAT'S what you need.

Go to the county offices in the county where your kids were born (probably called the bureau of vital statistics), fill out the paper work, pay the nominal fee, and walk out with a certified copy of their birth certificates. THAT'S what you need.

This is correct, except it doesn't have to be the county where they were born. Any county office for the bureau of vital statistics can do it for you. I got both mine and my son's birth certificates from the county office where we live, and both of us were born in different counties.

It took less than 15 minutes for us to do it.

This is correct, except it doesn't have to be the county where they were born. Any county office for the bureau of vital statistics can do it for you. I got both mine and my son's birth certificates from the county office where we live, and both of us were born in different counties.

It took less than 15 minutes for us to do it.

Oh, good to know. I just assumed.....since we live in the county where my boys were born. I hope the OP comes back and checks this thread so she can make sure she has what she needs!

Duke Family is absolutely correct. You are not given the certified birth certificate at the hospital. The hospital will send the information to the county and it takes some time to process. In MO, they say to wait 60-90 days after birth before applying for a BC. You shouldn't have to go anywhere. You might be able to call your local office and order by phone or download a form to mail in. My hosptial actually sent me home with a form that I could mail in. If you go to the passport website (google 'us passport') you'll eventually find a page that has links to all the states and where to get BCs.

I read that we need to have birth certificates with raised seals. I checked my kids, but theirs do not have them. I am wondering if it is necesary, and if so how do you get them?

Thanks,

Yes, you need a birth certificate with a "raised seal", OR with the County Registrar's Office stamp, saying that it is a Certified Birth Certificate.

But, are you talking about using them to sail? When are you sailing, and where? You might need the Certified Birth Certificate to apply for a Passport, (the date keeps getting juggled around, but , at latest, it seems like it is required by January 1, 2008):confused:

Whoa, whoa, whoa -- it sounds like you're talking about the souvenir birth certificates you got at the hospital. Is that what you have? The one the hospital makes with the cute little footprints? That will NOT do, it is NOT a real birth certificate, just a souvenir. Go to the county offices in the county where your kids were born (probably called the bureau of vital statistics), fill out the paper work, pay the nominal fee, and walk out with a certified copy of their birth certificates. THAT'S what you need.

I totally agree! I hope she checks it out.

you actually still have time to get a passport and then you won't have the worry, but even to get a passport you will need a certified birth certificate. The reason they say passport is best is because if God forbid, something happens and you have to fly home from outside of the US you need a passport now. I was told birth certificates will not work for flights. So I bit the bullet and got my husband and granddaughter to the Post Office and got theirs ordered, and we leave in three months.

Archived