First Night at Dinner -- What is casual?

ElvisC

Two simple questions:

1) On Carnival, what is worn to dinner on the first night of the cruise? I've heard that you sometimes don't have your bags yet, so I didn't know if the dress code was relaxed.

2) I see that formal night calls for a tux or dark suit. What about the other nights at dinner? Khakis and a knit shirt -- no tie?

Thanks

I take a change of clothes for DH and I, just in case our bags do not make it to the room by dinner (the first night). We like to dress for dinner ALL of the nights. So on the non-formal nights, DH will wear linen slacks, with a button up linen shirt or similar. I wear dresses and take along a shawl for the dining room, which can be cool. On French night, I like to wear my dressy black capris with a black top that has a black and white wide collar, and I tie a white scarf around my neck. Very French looking. DH wears a dark suit for formal nights and I wear a floor length dress. We prefer to dress, as I already indicated, and be a part of the ambiance of cruising. ;)

I have always understood that there was no dress code on the first and last night because of the fact that suitcases are still being delivered. And on the last night, suitcases are packed and outside your door. You can usually wear what you board in. One time, we did board in shorts and had to wear them to dinner as our suitcases didn't get to our rooms until long after dinner. Now, I usually wear some casual slacks. A lot of folks put another set of clothes in their carry on which is fine if there is room.

There is a dress code for first and last nights-casual ( no shorts, jeans). I like to change, just because I don't feel fresh in my travel clothes after all day. Feel free to dine in your travel outfit if it isn't shorts or jeans. You MIGHT see those if someone's bags didn't arrive-but they usually make it to your cabin pronto. On the last night, just remember to leave out an outfit to wear home! You won't put your bags out until well after dinner.

Enjoy!

Archived