(Another) Pearl Review - 7/22-29, 2007

alansfreed

Hmmmm, maybe I'm misleading people by saying there wasn't a lobster night on my cruise. I thought lobster night was when all restaurants served lobster and it was kind of a big deal and published in the daily, as opposed to the main dining room serving a dish which contained lobster. We dined at Cagney's on a Monday and they did have lobster on the menu (for an additional surcharge). So alansfreed, did you see lobster night announced on the daily?

you know I don't remember ever seeing the menu actually published in the Freestyle daily on any of our cruises. I could be mistaken, but I just checked the only 2 I have; one was the Sun and the other the Jewel, nowhere did they mention the words LOBSTER.

Nita

I noticed that you went on the train/gold dredging excursion. Right now we are booked for it but are reconsidering, because we were told that our kids will be bored. With 6 kids ages 8-16, we don't want to spend that kind of money (over $1000) and have them not enjoy it. What is your thought on it? How did your daughter like it? Our neighbor just got back and said that alot of the kids were just reading or coloring on the train.

I noticed that you went on the train/gold dredging excursion. Right now we are booked for it but are reconsidering, because we were told that our kids will be bored. With 6 kids ages 8-16, we don't want to spend that kind of money (over $1000) and have them not enjoy it. What is your thought on it? How did your daughter like it? Our neighbor just got back and said that alot of the kids were just reading or coloring on the train.

I guess it really depends on the nature of the kids... keep in mind that our child gleefully endured a 3,000-mile drive each way to Seattle from Pittsburgh, so adding a couple hour train ride was certainly no problem for her :)

If they're old enough to appreciate scenery, no problemo. Plus, while on the ride, they allow you to walk out onto the backs of the cars in the open air, which makes it a bit more interesting. I'd be sure to take them outside to enjoy the view from that vantage point. We also had a very good tour guide with us (the same tour guide leads you through the gold dredge tour and on the train), and she was very entertaining.

I guess one way to gauge it would be to think about how these particular kids do on a 3-hour car ride. Do they fuss and complain in the car? If they do, they'll probably act similarly on the train ride, I suppose. If they're content in a car for that period of time, then surely they should be able to enjoy the train ride. The views are spectacular!

Archived