Golf Carts in Costa May

george2000

I am thinking of renting a golf cart for our trip to Majahual in December. We will have my 80 year old dad with us and I thought it might be easier than him walking the town. Has anyone done this? Where do you pick up the cart? Is it at the port? We will probably spend time at Pez Quadro and the Cat's Meow. Is it safe to leave the golf cart while you're in the bars? Is it safe to drive from the port to the town in a cart? Are the carts in good repair? Don't want to break down. Thanks!!

I am thinking of renting a golf cart for our trip to Majahual in December. We will have my 80 year old dad with us and I thought it might be easier than him walking the town. Has anyone done this? Where do you pick up the cart? Is it at the port? We will probably spend time at Pez Quadro and the Cat's Meow. Is it safe to leave the golf cart while you're in the bars? Is it safe to drive from the port to the town in a cart? Are the carts in good repair? Don't want to break down. Thanks!!

Hello george,

There is a good thread already here with pretty much all the information that you want , but I just want to add one thing for your consideration.

You have mentioned your 80 year old father - I do not know if sandy dust will bother him or not ....... but if you rent the golf cart and you will be driving on some sandy / dusty roads (some roads are just dirt roads) there will be a 'cloud of dust' here and there - perhaps a dust mask might be helpful.

Wes

I visited Costa Maya last week 08-09-07. When the ship docks, you walk off and end up in a tourist trappy kind of shopping village, it is gated, so it is safe. To get a taste of what the real area is like, you need transportation out of the gated area. In my opinion a golf cart is the best option. You can rent one right outside the tourist shopping area, in the area where you would get a taxi. The golf carts are in good shape, and will cost you $90US per day. They seat 4. Ask for a map to Susie and Johns. Susie and Johns is the furthest point you can go with the cart, about 8miles. The road (the only one) will take you past the lighthouse, through the town of Mahahual (stop for lunch), and then further south to Susie and Johns. Susie and John are americans that live in a rustic cabin kind of home along the beach. They sell drinks and sell clothes (homemade by Susie) and souvineers to tourists, and you can use their beach (free). They sat with my son and I for hours, we learned a lot from them, and got a taste of what it is really like in the Costa Maya area. They also will make sure you get back to the cruise ship on time, in case you have a few, and loose track of time. The road is dusty, but I would be more concerned about the bumpy ride on the dirt road for Pops.

Have Fun

I visited Costa Maya last week 08-09-07. When the ship docks, you walk off and end up in a tourist trappy kind of shopping village, it is gated, so it is safe. To get a taste of what the real area is like, you need transportation out of the gated area. In my opinion a golf cart is the best option. You can rent one right outside the tourist shopping area, in the area where you would get a taxi. The golf carts are in good shape, and will cost you $90US per day. They seat 4. Ask for a map to Susie and Johns. Susie and Johns is the furthest point you can go with the cart, about 8miles. The road (the only one) will take you past the lighthouse, through the town of Mahahual (stop for lunch), and then further south to Susie and Johns. Susie and John are americans that live in a rustic cabin kind of home along the beach. They sell drinks and sell clothes (homemade by Susie) and souvineers to tourists, and you can use their beach (free). They sat with my son and I for hours, we learned a lot from them, and got a taste of what it is really like in the Costa Maya area. They also will make sure you get back to the cruise ship on time, in case you have a few, and loose track of time. The road is dusty, but I would be more concerned about the bumpy ride on the dirt road for Pops.

Have Fun

DOn't you just love them? We spent the entire day with them and had the best time. The police even came and hung out with us on the porch. We still communicate with them! I sure hope they are OK.:)

Archived