Airfare NYC to Honolulu

TennisLover

I'm checking on kayak.com, but wondering what kind of deals anyone has gotten from NYC to Honlulu.

I'm trying to find out if a Hawaii cruise is in my future (Feb 09) and, before I get my hopes up, want to have an idea of what a "good airfare" is. I am fine with making reservations a year ahead if that's what it takes to get a good fare.

FYI - I booked my San Juan flights a year ahead and got a very good price (less than $350 pp).

I'm checking on kayak.com, but wondering what kind of deals anyone has gotten from NYC to Honlulu.

I'm trying to find out if a Hawaii cruise is in my future (Feb 09) and, before I get my hopes up, want to have an idea of what a "good airfare" is. I am fine with making reservations a year ahead if that's what it takes to get a good fare.

FYI - I booked my San Juan flights a year ahead and got a very good price (less than $350 pp).

Personally, I think you are too far forward to be able to get a good deal. Airlines are much more worried about selling out after school vacation, thanksgiving and christmas than to worry that far out. Many airlines won't even book beyond 364 days in any case.

I'm definitely not looking to book now!

Just wondering what are the general rates. Like, should I expect to pay no less than $700 pp or are there sometimes great fares like $400 pp if you book early.

What, in general, is good rate from NYC to Honolulu?

I'm going in January 08 out of Newark nonstop and it is around $600 pp rt. Last January it was around $550. There still are seats and I'll probaby book it in Sept and try with my points, if I have enough. This is on Continental and the only minus is that the return flight leaves Honolulu around 10:30 pm. Their prices never deviates very much.

John L.

Most flights from HNL depart to the CONUS in the late evening. This facilitates a morning arrival and plentiful connections out of the midcon and east-coast hubs.

There are flights from HNL to west-coast cities that fly mid-day - however that often dictates an evening or red-eye departure to head to the middle or east part of the USA.

I'm going in January 08 out of Newark nonstop and it is around $600 pp rt. Last January it was around $550. There still are seats and I'll probaby book it in Sept and try with my points, if I have enough. This is on Continental and the only minus is that the return flight leaves Honolulu around 10:30 pm. Their prices never deviates very much.

John L.

Bear in mind the stage length from Honolulu to Newark is longer than most east coast to Europe flights...it is over 8 hours and a daytime departure would kill a whole day getting there.

Archived