Which direction is best?

shoreless

I always recommend that people fly a couple of days before there cruise (two to three) for a variety of reasons including getting over the jet lag, touring the city they will be departing from and ensuring that they do not miss the ship due to flight delays, cancellations, etc.

So, I would select the city where you might want to do a pre cruise.

In my opinion I would rather spend more time in Buenos Aires than in Santiago as to me there was much more to see in Buenos Aires.

Putting that aside, I don't see any other difference between where you start.

Keith

I don't think there is really any difference as far as the cruise itself is concerned. I agree with Keith that BA has more to do pre or post cruise and in particular a must visit to Iguazu. I would choose based on your own availability for a pre or post stay in BA.:) :D :) :D

Thanks. I think we'll do the Buenos Aires to Santiago.

Somehow I must have been thinking about the round the world races that mostly go in the same direction (don't remember which), but of course those are sailboats. I guess the Sun will be relying on engines, not wind.:o

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks. I think we'll do the Buenos Aires to Santiago.

Somehow I must have been thinking about the round the world races that mostly go in the same direction (don't remember which), but of course those are sailboats. I guess the Sun will be relying on engines, not wind.:o

Your post/question reminds me of world cruises, which almost always go westward. I've never been on one, but I imagine that I would like the idea of gaining hours in a day. Travelling the other way, one loses hours. Around the horn it can't matter much; I don't think that the cruise crosses very many time zones? (I need a map and a globe!)

Leslie

(Hoping to sail on the Splendour Feb 10, 2008, westbound Sao Paulo to Valparaiso)

Archived