Early Arrival in Santiago

Rstaud

We stopped at that Hotel to pick up another couple for a tour to make six of us. The outside looked nice. That couple was also using this tour guide to take them to the ship. I wish we had made those arrangements so we could have toured Vina Del Mar on the way to the ship. We ended up on the bus, and on to the ship and missed Vina Del Mar tour.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/memreviews/celebrity/infinity23.cfm

Link for a report.

Hi Scapel, Thanks for the cruisemates link. Enjoyed your informative review. Appreciate your warning of unscruplous tour operators. Sorry about your misfortune. We are learning alot from all the posters.

Dorothy

Dorothy. Thanks for the info. Our flights are Continental from Houston to Panama City, then Copa to Santiago - same flight but one day later - we are leaving Houston on Saturday, March 12 & arriving @ 3:45 am on Sunday. Airport transfers look great - will probably arrange to have them take us to the Hotel. Looking forward to sharing this great adventure with new acquaintances.

Barb M.

Hi Dorothy,

I did find the site you mentionned after doing a google search. Upon receipt of our passports from the Brazilian Consulate we will book at the Plaza San Francisco. This hotel was recommended by Frommer's. After two days in Santiago I wanted to take a guided tour to Vila Del Mar and Valparaiso and board the ship the same day. When I asked the site for their quote they asked me whether I was to board a cruise. When I said yes the charge was a usurious US$140 per person which apparently is less than the cruise ship charges for a similar transfer.

I commend to you Troy 86 review of his recent travel cruise experince to South America. Incidentally he arranged with a taxi to take him to Vina Del Mar for US$85 which is now what I plan to do.

Dorothy,

After further reviewing the Plaza San Francisco Hotel website under Services and Traveller's Handbook they show a full day tour to Vina Del Mar and Valparaiso for US$125, for 1-3 people. I am wondering whether one can book this tour and have them leave us at the Port. This price beats the offerings from PortCompass as well as the discount site for hotel packages.

E.T.

• 2 weeks later...
Dorothy. Thanks for the info. Our flights are Continental from Houston to Panama City, then Copa to Santiago - same flight but one day later - we are leaving Houston on Saturday, March 12 & arriving @ 3:45 am on Sunday. Airport transfers look great - will probably arrange to have them take us to the Hotel. Looking forward to sharing this great adventure with new acquaintances.

Barb M.

Barb,

My name is Joanne (HALGirl) and I am in personal contact with Dorothy about planning some private tours on our March 14th SA HAL Cruise. If you are interested in joining us please e-mail me at jpass@mcguirewoods.com. Hope to hear from you, Joanne

• 1 month later...

RStaud We are also flying in on Copa from Panama City. We have been away in Europe so have not had a chance to look at the Board. We are staying at the Sheraton through HAL. Since we used miles for the air portion of this trip (not through HAL) we need to make our own arrangements to get to the hotel from the airport. If you are staying at the Sheraton we could share transport from the airport.

Mike and Barb

Hi Barb and Mike,

We just arrived back from a Caribbean cruise last week and are now trying to continue planning SA. Unfortunately, we will be arriving in Santiago a day earlier than you -- our flight is also Copa from Panama City, but arrives on Saturday at 3:45 AM. We are now seriously considering the Sheraton. We will be in Santiago 2 nights. Plan to leave for Valparaiso on the 14th. Perhaps we could share transportation to the ship. We have been corresponding with HAL GAL. We've arranged to share some tours in ports of call with them and another couple from Australia. We are all going to meet up in the Crow's Nest after the lifeboat drill. Good to hear from you.

Dorothy & Roy

• 3 weeks later...

We'll be on the Infinity in January, no on your cruise, but I was looking for suggestions for restaurants with folkloric shows when I saw the post about transfers from Santiago to the ship. The $140 sounds high; the #125 for 1-3 people sounds about right, but what kind of a vehicle do they have for 3 people?

I found Arianna at Alunsa Royal Tours on the Chilean Tourism website. She has an extensive list of city tours, and even more full day tours outside of Santiago. She'll pick 6 of us up at the port in her van, taking us on a day tour of Valparaiso and Vina del Mar, then transporting us and our luggage to the Crowne Plaza in Santiago for $40.pp.

The next day she'll pick us up again for the most unusual tour I've read about from Santiago. It's an all-day tour to a ghost town (Sewell) that hangs down a mountainside (elevation 7200'+), tour the largest underground copper mine in the world (El Teniente); price of $100 per person includes lunch and insurance to enter the mine. We're excited about this one!

BTW, if anybody has researched restaurants with folkloric shows in Santiago, I'd appreciate hearing what you've found.

Charlotte

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Well I have read thru thes eposting and some are very interesting. Not sure if my blah, blah helps but let me add this. Each time a ship is in we are always down by the port terminal gates assisting crew from the ship visit our seaman's center and call their family back home. We started offering a shuttle to them because the drivers would never give them a lift shy of $10 each because they felt they would loose the big fish ticket. This being a shuttle/tour to the airport or santiago.

Now most of these guys all have the proper license to be a cabbie, most of their cars are just that. So your luggage can end up truly stapped on or in the car.

Trips to Vina del Mar (the sister city to Valparaiso) should by a normal cab in the street cost no more than $20usd! For whoever was paying $85 I hope they had a van and a 2 hour city tour.

If you wish to have a van so your luggage is safe, ample room for everyone then you should expect to be paying about $65 per person. Some private companies get a bit cheaper so long as there are around 6 to the vehicle. Also if they are a professional tour op then they will have insurance for you while in their vehichles, lessen the price and doubtful if this insurance is involved. It's something many people ask me about.

I am always upfront about how and why personal tours are priced differently. It's not always about being overpriced for being the rich retired traveller.

Enjoy your vacation, the weather down here is just wonderful now.

Like my wife tells me. "you get what you pay for".

Hope that helps in your shopping.

Archived