Early Arrival in Santiago

Rstaud

Have any others had this experience? We will be arriving in Santiago two days pre cruise from Denver. Can anyone recommend a hotel that accomodates early arrivals, as our plane gets in at 4:45 AM? We plan to stay in Santiago for two nights prior to our cruise which sails from Valpariso March 14. We are considering the Hotel Plaza San Francisco, but don't know their policy regarding this.

This happens to us all the time when we travel to Europe or return back to an Asian city for a stopover on the way home though we do arrrive around 6.30am or 7am. When we make our booking I always tell the hotel that we will be arriving early after a very long flight of over 24 hours and we have always been given a room. Last year in Copenhagen we were given a room for the morning before they moved us into our larger room.

I have just read the time you will be arriving and I think that if you want to go into a room you will have to pay for the night before. 4.45am or even 5.45am is too early for a hotel to give you a free room. We have paid on a number of occasions for a room for the night before, this year in Tahiti we did so and when we arrived in Athens a few years ago. Otherwise you will be sitting in the lobby for quite a few hours with your suitcases.

Jennie.

We arrived in Santiago the day before our cruise departed, but a bit later in the morning than you are arriving. We had reservations at the Hyatt Regency and had no problems checking in. Regardless where you decide to stay, advise them of your early arrival and hopefully, they can accomodate you.

Thank you so much Aussie Gal & Bill S for your helpful information. We will call the hotels directly. I am thinking that by the time we get our luggage etc...and arrive at the hotel it may be closer to 6 AM or so, but if we have to pay for an extra night we will because we will have been traveling for nearly 12 hours. Any other helpful tips you may have will be greatly appreciated, as we have not been to South America before and are very excited about this cruise.

We went to Auckland New Zealand to watch the America's cup races prior to taking a 16 day RCI cruise to Tahiti and Hawaii. We landed at 6:30am local time and after the time of gathering bags and rental car, we arrived at our hotel. I went to the desk expecting to be able to give them my bags for storage and maybe get one of the two rooms we had booked for the night, and they over accomodated us, by letting us have our rooms early. So we were able to get a quick shower before heading sleepless into the streets of Auckland. If the hotel is full, you can always give them your bags for storage, and then come back and check in later in the day.

jc

Thanks for responding, XPCDOOJK. It's nice to know that hotels do make accommodations whenever possible. Since we are not going till 3/05, how soon would you recommend making the hotel reservations? Noticed that a number of hotels in SA give discounts for a paid pre-booking.

I start searching travel web sites and getting some ball park numbers, so you can never start looking too soon. Once I get an idea about the price levels then I start looking for the best hotel I can get at the cheapest price, and I will check many, many pricing services. I also, contact the hotel directly to see if they have any deals. I have found the best prices are generally available thru the prepay sites, but not always. The downside to prepay is your money is gone now, and there is always some risk of being ripped off. We are going to England and Italy in 3 weeks from today. Some of the hotels I booked several months ago, but 2 nights I just booked last week, because I could never find a really good deal on those nights. So at that time I lower my minimum category that I was looking at and look for a good economy hotel and I remind myself it is only 1 night.

jc

I am a bigtime internet user and early adopter. I have bought stereos, tvs, cameras, videocameras, computers, airline tickets, event tickets, cruises, and most everything else over the internet. I have never been scammed, ripped off, taken advantage of, or anything else. I have found that amazingly the internet operators are just doing business and most all are very trustworthy. Having said that, a few years ago, people bought Rennaissance cruise tickets and the line went belly up. If you prepay with a hotel or a travel company and they go broke, you may have a very unpleasant time getting your money back or worse your vacation purchase(hotel, cruise, airline ticket etc). If you have a reservation gauranteed with your credit card, but not billed on your credit card, your personal risk is much less. However, frequently, the very best deal is available on a prepay purchase. I love to stay at the Westin when I go to the Cardinals games in St Louis. It is next to the ballbark, on Friday and Saturday nights the cardinals players are the bartenders, and they have the heavenly beds. Sometimes they run specials if you will prepay it when you book or I can get it on Hotwire or Priceline. This is the lowest price. Now the Westin is not likely to go broke anytime soon, but do you know anything about the hotel is Buenos Aires? Shoot with all of the political instability in some places it is very scary to prepay. A few years ago, we considered going to Fiji. We were going to stay at the Malcom Forbes resort that is all inclusive for a week of scuba and relaxation. We finally decided to do something else for vacation, well a few months later I am watching TV and they show an armed uprising holding the resort and the patrons hostage. They thoroughly damaged the resort, imagine the pain if you had it prepaid.

Again, I prepay stuff all of the time, but it is safer to have it gauranteed on your card than prepaid. You just have to remember that there are risks, and decide which are acceptable for you, personally.

jc

jc,

Thanks for that very informative post. We do much the same. I always try to just give a credit card as a guarantee for a hotel and then pay when we are checking out. I much prefer it that way in case as you say "something happens" and then you have lost all your money. But then of course, when booking a cruise on the net, one must pay a deposit. I do not like paying the full price up front for anything other than an airline ticket.

Jennie.

Thanks, again, for all of your helpful info. We are considering booking the Hotel Plaza San Francisco in Santiago. It is a 5 star hotel and they have an excellent pre-paid package for two nights: Shuttle from airport to hotel and daily breakfast included. We would, of course, pre-pay with our credit card, but if services are not delivered, as advertised, we can dispute the charge and they will remove it. We have also purchased trip insurance thru Travelx, that will cover us also.

Rstaud, I am not a big believer in Travel insurance, but I think if you have a lot of prepaid activities then it can be a pretty good idea. Remember some travel insurance companies won't cover certain airlines that are a bad risk for them. Please check to make sure that your airline is not on your insurances will not insure list! Everyone is different regarding their ability to handle risk, for some people insurance is a must for others it is a little more of a personal decision. I am not trying to talk you out of it, BTW, as it is probably a smart decision.

5 star sounds delightful, but in some countries (like most of europe) all a star means is that a hotel has a bar, restaurant, a lobby, bathroom en suite, etc. It sometimes doesn't mean that it is a deluxe 5 star experience. I don't know how it works in Chile(no clue:D ), but be sure you get reviews on the hotel as many places as possible. Fodor's, Tripadvisor, travel books, etc.

Please let us know all about your trip so Aussie gal and I can benefit from your experience! :D :cool:

thanks

jc

Rstaud, I am not a big believer in Travel insurance, but I think if you have a lot of prepaid activities then it can be a pretty good idea. Remember some travel insurance companies won't cover certain airlines that are a bad risk for them. Please check to make sure that your airline is not on your insurances will not insure list! Everyone is different regarding their ability to handle risk, for some people insurance is a must for others it is a little more of a personal decision. I am not trying to talk you out of it, BTW, as it is probably a smart decision.

5 star sounds delightful, but in some countries (like most of europe) all a star means is that a hotel has a bar, restaurant, a lobby, bathroom en suite, etc. It sometimes doesn't mean that it is a deluxe 5 star experience. I don't know how it works in Chile(no clue:D ), but be sure you get reviews on the hotel as many places as possible. Fodor's, Tripadvisor, travel books, etc.

Please let us know all about your trip so Aussie gal and I can benefit from your experience! :D :cool:

thanks

jc

Thanks for the info. on the insurance. We don't routinely book it either, but due to the length and South American location, as well as the fact that Medicare will not cover outside of the US, we decided not to chance it this time and booked thru Travelex, which had the best rate. We never have taken the cruiseline's insurance, since it is about twice as much and does not cover as well. We did not insure the air because we are using frequent flier miles. The Hotel Plaza San Francisco, which we are considering, has been given good reviews in both Fodor's and several other travel books. The Deli Lama has stayed there twice. I am aware that the 5 star rating in Europe and other foreign countries will probably not meet American standards.

We have hooked up with another cruiser from the HAL "Whose Sailing With Me" message boards, who is going on our cruise. They are also considering the Hotel Plaza San Francisco and are using a travel agent. When are you and Aussie Gal traveling and which ships are you sailing on?

Will let you know how things go and appreciate input from you both.

D&R

D&R,

Unfortunately we are not travelling until January, 2006 but we have quite a lot to organize as we are starting in Rio, going to the Iguazzu Falls before boarding the Regal Princess for a 21 day cruise. Afterwards we are going on to Machu Picchu and then to the Galapagos before returning to Santiago and flying home.

I know it is along way off but time does go by quickly and we do have two cruises before then!!

Jennie

Wow, Jennie! What a wonderful trip to look forward to. We had to think long and hard about this 16 day South American cruise. We will be gone for 21 days total. Our prior cruises have been 7 days. It is difficult for my DH to be away from his business for extended periods of time, but at 65, we are both looking forward to the "cruise of a life time." Would also like to visit Australia some time. We'll keep you posted and thanks for all your help.

Dorothy

Dorothy,

We will be away 6 weeks which is the longest ever. We will be away for a month this year and next July for 5 weeks, so we are gradually getting ourselves used to the length of time away from home. We usually do a 14 day cruise and have 3 weeks away. Next July we are doing a 17 day cruise so the 21 day will not seem so long. South America will be our "trip of a lifetime!"

Jennie

3 weeks is at this time in mine and my wife's life is pretty much a maximum. We are going on the 16 day HAL Rotterdam 11/20/2005, and at this time, I am leaning towards Machhu Piccu after the cruise and not trying to the I. falls before, but I may change my mind. I would really like to do both, but the 21 days is pretty much a max, but I might stretch it out one more day if I thought I could work all of the good stuff in. Time will tell. We are still young enough a harried travel schedule doesn't scare us, but still trying to do too much can be frustrating. I am so envious of Aussie Gal's Galapagos and 6 weeks total experience. I am developing a lot of hatred of her! :) :D ;)

jc

I've been reading your messages about early check in in Santiago & thought I'd give some info that Holland America Gave to me. We are also sailing the Amsterdam on March 14 & purchased the one night pre-cruise package at the Sheraton Santiago. We cashed in FF miles for the flight to/from Houston, and will be arriving at 3:45 am. Holland america asured us that we are secured on early checkin and our room will be available when we arrive. If anyone is familiar with airport transportation in Santiago I'd appreciate some suggestions - Holland America is responsible for transporting us to Valparaiso but not from airport to hotel. We chose the port cruise hotel at Le Meridien in Rio. Also looking at optional tours by Port Compass. Has anyone used them??

Thanks all,

Hi Mans. Welcome aboard and thanks for the info on your early arrival. We are arriving at 3:45 AM on March 12. (I misposted 4:45 in my original post). The Sheraton is one of the other hotels we are considering. I assume from your post that the Sheraton does not offer complimentary transportation from the airport to the hotel.

If you go to the following web site, there is a link to transportation. I believe it's $6 or $7 -- http://www.chile-hotels.com/santiaga.htm. What airline are you flying? We are flying from Denver to Panama on Continental and then Copa from Panama to Santiago. Unfortunately, we will only be spending the day in Rio. Our return flight leaves at 7:45 PM.

Regarding Port Compass -- there are several threads on this board which refer to them favorably.

Dorothy

Hi, Rstaud

We also plan to arrive two days before our HAL cruise on Oct 25th.

I am interested in the pre-paid package you got at the Hotel Plaza San Francisco which includes airport pick-up. I have gone to their internet site and no package is indicated.

Much obliged for some help here. Thank you.

JC,

I am sorry to have bragged and made you envious.:D We do love travel and South America is the one place we have always promised ourselves we would visit. We are probably older than you but we are still very fit and do enjoy seeing new places and of course great old places like Machu Picchu and the Galapagos.;) ;)

Dorothy,

These boards are wonderful and I have learnt so much from them over the past couple of years. Don't forget to write when you return and give us all your hints. Have a great trip. My sister is going on the Amsterdam leaving Rio on December 16th, so hope to gain some information from her when she returns. She is not doing the extras that we are adding to our time away.

Jennie.

Hi, Rstaud

We also plan to arrive two days before our HAL cruise on Oct 25th.

I am interested in the pre-paid package you got at the Hotel Plaza San Francisco which includes airport pick-up. I have gone to their internet site and no package is indicated.

Much obliged for some help here. Thank you.

TMM9 - Here is the link to the site where I found the pre-paid package deals: http://www.Chile-hotels.com/santiaga.htm. Scroll down and you will find Hotel Plaza San Francisco. Click on the flashing Special Value Package beside the hotel name. You can also see a Virtual Tour of the hotel. You will also find that the Radison Plaza, Sheraton San Cristobal as well as others have this pre-pay as well. This agency also has a 1-800 number. We are still is the preliminary planning stages, so I'd be interested in what you finally decide. Thanks.

Dorothy

Have any others had this experience? We will be arriving in Santiago two days pre cruise from Denver. Can anyone recommend a hotel that accomodates early arrivals, as our plane gets in at 4:45 AM? We plan to stay in Santiago for two nights prior to our cruise which sails from Valpariso March 14. We are considering the Hotel Plaza San Francisco, but don't know their policy regarding this.

We stopped at that Hotel to pick up another couple for a tour to make six of us. The outside looked nice. That couple was also using this tour guide to take them to the ship. I wish we had made those arrangements so we could have toured Vina Del Mar on the way to the ship. We ended up on the bus, and on to the ship and missed Vina Del Mar tour.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/memreviews/celebrity/infinity23.cfm

Link for a report.

Hi Mans. Welcome aboard and thanks for the info on your early arrival. We are arriving at 3:45 AM on March 12. (I misposted 4:45 in my original post). The Sheraton is one of the other hotels we are considering. I assume from your post that the Sheraton does not offer complimentary transportation from the airport to the hotel.

If you go to the following web site, there is a link to transportation. I believe it's $6 or $7 -- http://www.chile-hotels.com/santiaga.htm. What airline are you flying? We are flying from Denver to Panama on Continental and then Copa from Panama to Santiago. Unfortunately, we will only be spending the day in Rio. Our return flight leaves at 7:45 PM.

Regarding Port Compass -- there are several threads on this board which refer to them favorably.

Dorothy

We stayed at the Sheraton Santiago and it was very nice. Stay in the towers. I think the room may be better although all the rooms were nice.

http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery/search.php?search=Joe+Reynolds&match=1

for pictures.

Another post had the report link.

Joe

Archived