Just off Mariner!

I will try to condense this for you all. First this is a review from a single traveller perspective, so bear with me.

Embarkation - This was disappointing and very slow, even as a suite passenger, it took longer than the regular passenger line. Not the most efficient...

I usually travel solo, so already had an idea what to expect.

My first time on Mariner of the Seas..first impression...a beautiful ship, amazing artwork all over the place, a varied itinerary with plenty to do if you wished. Definately a great ship for families as they really did seem to cater for this with all the activities etc..

Now as a solo traveller, they did make the effort to have daily "singles" meet ups, but I didn't bother to attend. I tried to arrange a meet up prior to the cruise but no-one showed so I was very disappointed. Hence I didn't go to the M&M either...maybe I should have made the effort, but after one week on the ship I was convinced I was the only single female any way! LOL Majority were families and lots of children, tho they all seemed very well behaved from what I saw. I thought it was a nice idea to have the curfew for teens at 1.00am

Entertainment - New cruise Director...hmmmm, not very impressed, tho he was extremely funny at the Ice Show...his "whoop, whoop" call all the time and over the radio system became very irritating!

I saw a couple of shows and can recommend the Ice Skating show. It was super! the costumes were stunning and it was a very professional performance.

I am a big non-smoker, and can say that this really was never an issue for me as it has been on other ships...all the venues, were comfortable and not overpowered with smoke thank goodness.

Food/Dining - not impressed at all actually, very average. They seem to put a lot of garlic in everything! ugh...I hate garlic! but thats my problem right..LOL (darn it!)

I'm not sure how they arrange seating in the Dining room but my first night I arrived to find an empty place and no table setting. I had to stand and wait like a fool while 3 different waiters checked my table assignment. I was right, but they didn't believe me for a while, just let me stand there. I was then sat with a family, and no other table companions, it was extremely dull, and I felt very uncomfortable, so I did not return. Just ate at the Windjammer every night on my own...not my ideal situation, but I was unable to change table assignments...usually I have experienced seating where they make the effort to put young people and solo travellers together, so this was disappointing for me. Never mind.

I was lucky enough to have a suite, so had access to the Concierge club. This was excellent, adults only and no smoking....both Kevin the concierge and Dexter the assistant were extremely nice and accommodating. Having the use of this lounge was very nice and I would recommend to any solo cruiser. I met some very nice couples.

Suite - I had an Owners Suite , yes, all to myself..It was lovely. Yes, you got the pillow menu, (I had 2 body pillows, wonderful)appetisers/hors d'oevres 2 evenings, and a bottle of water.....NO wine or Champagne, like I was expecting, but at least with the CC you could drink it nightly if you wished.

Favorite daily activity - lying out in the sun in the Solarium - this is a super area to relax, quiet, adults only and again, no-smoking allowed....padded loungers and a nice little pool. Again as a solo cruiser this was a place I could be and not feel uncomfortable.Oh and they do make sure that no children under 18 enter this area...it was never an issue.

The only negative travelling alone is in the evenings...either eating alone or at an "anti-social" table, going to the bars for a drink alone, while all around you are romantic couples....oh well...one definately has to make the effort but sometimes it is hard.

All in all, I did pretty much what I wanted to do, yes it would have been nice to have some company some evenings especially dinner, but I relaxed, lay in the sun all day and enjoyed all the precious moments onboard.

Ports - I didn't bother to get off in Ocho Rios as there really didn't seem to be much to do and a single female, hmmm don't think I would feel safe...

Grand Cayman was seven mile beach. Took a cab to Sea grape and rented beach lounger etc.

Labadee, this was lovely, I walked all the way to the end beach by Dragons Point, Hideaway beach. It was lovely tho a little stoney in the water. The bar-b-que was just average, not very appealing,...gosh I sound such a fuss pot huh...The "labadoozie" drinks were delicious.

Cozumel-I went to Nachi Cocum, all inclusive beach club...now this was worth every cent...probably the nicest place on the entire itinerary. Get there early and you have the entire beach/pool all to yourself. The water was clear and turquoise, drinks were very good and the food was excellent! I really enjoyed it there.

I am going back on the Mariner in November and will make more effort to go to the M&M then, as well as the single meetings, but I have done them before and been embarrassed and/or "stalked" LOL, so usually keep away...we shall see. The roll call for the next cruise seems so much fun and a lot of very friendly folks..so methinks it will be better....

Try one meal at Johnny Rockets, its a fun place and great atmosphere.

So I left the Mariner and realised that I was already looking forward to my next time on her. You will not be disappointed, and like everything you have to try to make the most of it...I was lucky too as I had perfect weather the entire cruise, it was really beautiful, calm seas etc.

If you have any questions I will be happy to try to answer them for you.

The Nachi Cocum was a private excursion you book online prior...($49) go to the ports of call and look iunder cozumel and then do a search for it, you will find all kinds of info about it...I don't think I am allowed to advertise the name on here....it was so worth it tho. the cab was 15 mins from the ship and $14 each way

Thanks for the review sheilb4. This will be our first sailing on the Mariner very soon. :D :D Our itinerary will be the Eastern Caribbean. We are really looking forward to this ship/cruise as we have heard so many nice comments. Thanks again.

Thnaks for posting your review.

I have a question: Some recent Mariner cruisers mentioned that the air conditioning seemed inadequate and that the thermostat seemed set higher than usual...this would be a huge issue for me, as I need my cabin and the public spaces to be cooled. What was your opinion of the air conditioning?

Thanks for the review. What time did you arrive for embarkation? We were on board Mariner the week before you. We were in OS 1628 (our travel mates in 1630). The suite is excellent.

We arrived at port around 11 a.m. and had no wait to register. We waited about 10 minutes before we were allowed in ship.

By the way, if you were in 1628, we left a collection in the bottom drawer by the bed of the extra soaps and conditioners. We like to bring these home as a reminder of the cruise. But we left them there. If you were in our OS, hope you found them and took them home!

Thnaks for posting your review.

I have a question: Some recent Mariner cruisers mentioned that the air conditioning seemed inadequate and that the thermostat seemed set higher than usual...this would be a huge issue for me, as I need my cabin and the public spaces to be cooled. What was your opinion of the air conditioning?

I was on the 7/08/07 Mariner (Eastern) and had no trouble with the airconditioning. It was quite comfortable for me. I have also seen these posts about it being warm on the ship. I cannot say I was cold either, though. On previous cruises I have had jackets and wraps in the dining room...not needed here.

-Arrived for embarkation around 12 noon....took approx 45 mins or so....the slowest I have experienced actually...not a really big deal but I just wanted to get onboard NOW! you know how that is! LOL

-No probs with A/C it was perfect and adjustable in my cabin plus I had my balcony doors open all night every night! wonderful!

-I was in 1630, so never saw your goodies.........

Archived