Beaches -- Where are the good ones?

kusscate

I'm looking for recommendations for beaches on Tahiti, Bora Bora, and Rarotonga. Anyone know of any we can walk to or take a cab to from the ship? Mostly we want a pretty beach, preferably with bathroom facilities and chairs to rent.

I'm looking for recommendations for beaches on Tahiti, Bora Bora, and Rarotonga. Anyone know of any we can walk to or take a cab to from the ship? Mostly we want a pretty beach, preferably with bathroom facilities and chairs to rent.

Good luck!!! I can't really think of anywhere like that on our 10 day cruise plus 4 day pre & post - though we weren't able to go to Rarotonga. Some of the hotels have beach areas that you can use...it's not like the Caribbean. Some of the motu tours may be similar to what you're looking for.

Beaches are rare in South Polynesia due to the reefs... which make FP what it is known for.. but there are not beautiful sandy beaches pretty much anywhere. There is matira beach on Bora bora.. .I think that the TP has a shuttle there. The beach across from Fruits of Roratonga was ok as well..

You'll find beaches in FP- yes, they're mostly small, yes it's not the huge sandy beaches that you'll find elsewhere in the world, but some of them are beautiful and great for swimming/snorekling plus they are rarely crowded.

Muri Beach in Rarotonga was quite nice. You can walk for miles along the beach, there's good snorkeling, and you can walk- yes walk- to the motu across from the beach (water only goes up to about chest level).

Matira Beach in Bora Bora is also very nice. There are shuttles to and from these beaches.

Don't know about the beaches on Tahiti since the only tour of the island we did was a 4 x 4 ride in the mountains. We stayed at the Radisson prior to the cruise and were not impressed with the beach (not great for swimming and there was garbage piled up on the sand).

You'll find beaches in FP- yes, they're mostly small, yes it's not the huge sandy beaches that you'll find elsewhere in the world, but some of them are beautiful and great for swimming/snorekling plus they are rarely crowded.

Muri Beach in Rarotonga was quite nice. You can walk for miles along the beach, there's good snorkeling, and you can walk- yes walk- to the motu across from the beach (water only goes up to about chest level).

Matira Beach in Bora Bora is also very nice. There are shuttles to and from these beaches.

Don't know about the beaches on Tahiti since the only tour of the island we did was a 4 x 4 ride in the mountains. We stayed at the Radisson prior to the cruise and were not impressed with the beach (not great for swimming and there was garbage piled up on the sand).

Thanks for the info, we will be in Rarotonga & Bora Bora

Well shoot. After I went out of my way to move and re-size a photo for you, I see that you were not interested in Rangiora. You see I always try to be a contributory poster despite what many would lead you to believe. So I'm gonna' post this photo anyway. Nice beach within walking distance of the ship in Rangiroa.

1454827166_Day10-Rangiroa-08.jpg.b3c3a409fa3a6c630f8c372a6001805d.jpg

Well shoot. After I went out of my way to move and re-size a photo for you, I see that you were not interested in Rangiora. You see I always try to be a contributory poster despite what many would lead you to believe. So I'm gonna' post this photo anyway. Nice beach within walking distance of the ship in Rangiroa.

Unfortunately, we're not GOING to Rangiroa -- and your photo makes me WANT to go!!!!

We are going to Rangirea on the Sept. 1st cruise so was delighted to hear that there is a beach close by. We haven't planned any excursions for that island. How far of a walk to the beach and in what direction when you get off the ship? You said it was fair snorkeling--how did it compare to Moorea,Bora,Bora and some of the other ports?

Thanks for you help.

Micked10

We are going to Rangirea on the Sept. 1st cruise so was delighted to hear that there is a beach close by. We haven't planned any excursions for that island. How far of a walk to the beach and in what direction when you get off the ship? You said it was fair snorkeling--how did it compare to Moorea,Bora,Bora and some of the other ports?

Thanks for you help.

Micked10

See Ralphie you were a help to someone so don't worry about what others say:D :D :D :rolleyes:

Thanks for you help.

Micked10

The beach I pictured is just about 1/4 to 1/2 mile to the left of where the ship docks. We originally walked straight off the pier to the road, then headed to the left until we cut back to the beach and found it. We returned by just following the water line back to the pier. By the way there is a resort right there that, seemingly was almost deserted. The snorkeling was fair but not as good as the drift snorkel we did with Bruno at Taaha. There were a lot of fish hanging out at the "empty" over water bungalows and around the coral formations.

Funny thing happened. My brother in law was standing there, in chest deep water and having a conversation with a couple from Tahiti who were staying at the resort. He was engaged in conversation with this couple for several minutes before he lost eye-contact and looked down. She, of course, being the good Tahitian girl that she was. was topless.

Archived