Princess Cruises/NCL - Comparisons/Differences

poffles

Hi,

First time cruiser here and I am torn (overwhelmed might be a better description) about what cruise line to go with. Got the time of year and destination narrowed down ... November (08) and Eastern Carribean (with four or more port), but I keep flipping on the cruise line. Another consideration has been the laid back dress code for meals and not having to schedule sit downs, though we would stiff it out if it made for a better cruise. Probably getting too caught up but isn't that the fun of it all :-)

Two friends (female) in our 40s travelling that still think we are in our 30s that might bring books to read but don't expect to read much. Like to have a drink or two (or three) and probably won't participate in silly games but will definitely sit on the sidelines for some of them just to have a laugh.

If you have experience on these two cruise lines (or want to offer alternate suggestions) .... HELP!!!

poffles, you will have a good time on either. NCL is a bit more casual in all aspects while Princess is a bit more formal. Princess normally scores a bit higher in surveys but there are many NCL loyalists. For me it would be what itinerary is more interesting.:) :D :) :D :)

I've been on both and I'll put it down to these differences:

NCL

• More commercial food and of lower quality.
    • We even saw that they were using egg product to make omelets... they didn't even hide the package. It's not unusual to use egg product, it's easier to work with and certainly you need it for scrambled eggs on the buffet, but showing it publicly... that's questionable.
    • Less food on the plate (we think that's a plus, it lets you choose if you want more of not)
    • Well spiced spa food.

[*]More international cruise staff.

[*]Freestyle/Personal choice dining in all dining rooms

[*]Smaller ships

[*]Better production shows from in-house company

Princess

• More native English speaking cruise staff.
  • Hosted group meetings
  • Choice of Personal choice or traditional dining if you book early.
  • Larger ships and more modern
  • More balconies
  • Freshwater pools

There are many things that are the same or similar.

We have enjoyed cruises on both lines and are booked on both for future cruises.

We have had great, good and so-so food on both cruise lines. Best lamb ever on Caribbean Princess toughest steak (and beef in general) on Dawn Princess.

Having said that, we sailed the same ship 2x within 6 months (Carnival Valor) and noticed that the food was better on the second. We commented about this to the Maitre d' and he said that the Chef de Cuisine had changed since our first cruise.

There are large (more entertainment/dining venues) and small (get to know more of the staff and passengers) ships on both lines. Ships entering service since 2001 are about the same (8 NCL vs 9 Princess) so newer ships are available.

DW & I love sea days so 4 or 5 ports on a 7 nighter is more intensive than we would normally book. But, if you are planning a port intensive cruise, the ship may be less important in the overall scheme of things.

Good Luck With Your Research,

Charlie

Archived