Sand Toys?

BethCarp

Do you all bring sand toys for your kids? We're planning on doing Paradise Beach in Cozumel and then we'll have a day in Coco Cay. I think my kids (3 and 6) will like sand toys but I don't know if I want to pack them. Does anyone know if they sell them near the peir in Cozumel or maybe even on the ship? Maybe even someplace in Key West, since we're stopping there first. I'd hate to have to pack a big bucket only to find it breaks in transit.

buy some cheap ones at walmart or hte dollar store before you leave and pack stuff into the buckets (socks, rolled shirts, shoes whatever) and then after your two days at the beach just throw them away and dont worry about cleaning thime off. we have done this with a cheap floating mat so we didnt have to rent one and an innertube from walmart it was really nice!

We didn't when we took our grandkids on a cruise, but I wished we had. They were 5,5,4 & 3 and really enjoyed the beach. They spent as much time digging in the sand as they did in the water, and next time I'll visit the dollar store, buy a small shovel for each one and a pail or two.

I don't remember if there were sand toys available right off the ship in Cozumel, but I wouldn't be surprised. Like the other poster said, a few small toys won't take up much room.

When our kids were young we did exactly that. We either purchased them right before we got on the cruise ship or at one of the stops. Key West would be fine for that. Then at the end of the cruise, we didn't bring the toys back with us.

Keith

I packed 2 small sand pails and 2 shovels. The 2 pails stacked onto each other, then I stuffed them with socks and underwear. It wasn't difficult to pack. The key was these were not the standard sized sand pails, but smaller sized ones. My kids (3 and 5) didn't care what size they were. They had fun carry water to and from their sand dunes and building sand piles with these pails.

This was at Princess Cays. I believe they were selling the sand toys (pail and shovels) for $5+. Even at Walmart in St. Thomas, sandtoys were also $5+. It's just more convenient to bring the sand toys with you than to find a place that sells them.

Paradise Beach sells them for $10. I bough a cute little backpack set so the kids (2 & 6) could carry them. Toy's r us has them

That would be perfect. I've seen lots of sets out there, but I'm trying to avoid bringing them from home.

Well, PB was a bust, they don't carry them anymore. Cruisinmama, where did you see them in Cozumel? I might be willing to shell out the bucks just to not have to pack them. The buckets we have are so cheap and crack easily.

we have, in teh past, bought a cheap set of tupperware-like containers. usually we get 10-15 for like 4.99-6.99.a set has a bunch of sizes. most of them "nest". and i just toss them rather than bring them home. they are available year round.

we have, in teh past, bought a cheap set of tupperware-like containers. usually we get 10-15 for like 4.99-6.99.a set has a bunch of sizes. most of them "nest". and i just toss them rather than bring them home. they are available year round.

Oh that's a good idea! Those would be more durable than the cheap buckets too. Thanks I'll keep that in mind!

Well, PB was a bust, they don't carry them anymore. Cruisinmama, where did you see them in Cozumel? I might be willing to shell out the bucks just to not have to pack them. The buckets we have are so cheap and crack easily.

They have them everywhere as soon as you get off the ship at the port stores. We ended up waiting and bought them at Playa Mia (our excursion)

PLUS they are fun to use onboard ship in the splash pools. My kids LOVE to use their small buckets and little trucks in the kiddie splash pools (I don't bring big ones - just little ones) - even my "you'd thinks she's too old for that but really isn't" dd!! They are also great around the edges of the regular pools - they can sit in the couple of inches of water that comes up as the ship is moving, and play without going into the deep pool itself.

We have been vacationing at a condo in Maui the last couple of years. We don't bring toys but one of the first days on the Island we hit the Salvation Army and clean 'em out! Then we leave the toys in the condo for the next kid or to be donated back.

Cheryl

PLUS they are fun to use onboard ship in the splash pools. My kids LOVE to use their small buckets and little trucks in the kiddie splash pools (I don't bring big ones - just little ones) - even my "you'd thinks she's too old for that but really isn't" dd!! They are also great around the edges of the regular pools - they can sit in the couple of inches of water that comes up as the ship is moving, and play without going into the deep pool itself.

Oh yeah! My 3yo totally loved the crappy little plastic truck that he found at the pool last time we were there. I'll totally have to get one of those. I'll see if there's a walgreens or similar near our hotel in FLL. If not, it looks like there's a CVS right near the peir in Key West.

Archived